Model Cars Magazine Forum

Barrett-Jackson

I'd really like to see an hour put together on the ancillary stuff that goes to auction. Show me the gas pumps, the car art, the pedal cars and the signs. Surely after this many years they have some footage of those auctions. I also want the giant spinning Big boy.

I'd really like to see an hour put together on the ancillary stuff that goes to auction. Show me the gas pumps, the car art, the pedal cars and the signs. Surely after this many years they have some footage of those auctions. I also want the giant spinning Big boy.

Agree 100%. They could even tape it for future broadcast.

If you know BJs game....the cheaper cars go on Tues and Wed...high end on Saturday....Prices this year are up...The 70 challenger /viper went for top $$

I've gone to BJ in west Palm...If I remember it was $18.00 for a day pass..saw all the cars, toys and food....you just do not go to bid if you do not pay the reg.fee. Forty years in business....yeah they must be the crooks all of our naysayers here tell us about........

Why are some of us so Inane and jealous here?

And do not forget....you can turn it off

DSCF0007-2.jpg?t=1295713666DSCF0002-1.jpg?t=1295713631Like I said earlier, my son and I went, It was a great experience, as always. We got four free tickets Ford was giving them away all month long for a test drive.We sold two, cha ching, there's lunch. Didn't pay for parking,the city of Scottsdale provided free bus transportation from off site lots. The bratts for lunch were great(free) oh yeah, the cars were great too, lots of clones, you had to look hard and know your stuff to tell the difference.Here's a hint, each car had a big placard telling you all about the car.DSCF0005-1.jpg?t=1295713555

For about two months, prior to the total meltdown of the economy, I took a job at J.J. Best, who specializes in antique car financing. The people who bid at Barret-Jackson aren't worried about $500 to bid. However, getting them to get the paperwork finished so we can close the loan is another story... I used to work in title administration, and it could be a real headache.

Personally, I would never go to one of the big auctions- I think the buyer's premium (the fee you pay as a buyer to the auctioneer on top of the purchase price- some of which can run in excess of ten per cent,) is immoral and unreasonable. An admission fee I can understand, but a buyer's premium is just pure profit for the auction house, it's akin to a car dealer marking a car up just because they can- nothing more than another way to suck more money out of your pocket. Unfortunately, most of the auction houses now, big and small, charge a buyer's premium, so I guess auctions are out for me.

Also, many of these cars trade hands well in excess of their true value; while dealing with several customers, the amount of outright misrepresentation and simple over-stating of what was there, was astounding- and very disturbing. The antique car hobby used to be known as generally having honest people buying and selling cars, but the prospect of insane amounts of money seems to have caused entirely too many people to check their ethics at the door.

Again, people who go to these things don't worry about over-paying for the privilege of over-paying. I just hope not all of them have more money than sense.

Charlie Larkin

Jim, I'm glad you put real in quotation marks when referring to WWE Smackdown. I'd watch BJ for hours before ever tuning that in. To each his own... ;)

I've only missed 45 minutes so far this year. A little off my usual pace. I needed milk.

As for the detractors, it is a business, a big business. After 40 years of studying how to maximize profit, I'm not surprised at the circus that BJ has become. Sur it involves a bit of hyperbole but I can't believe that they would be what they are if they weren't as above board as they can be. As for the prices, These are some of the cream of the crop and if Ron Pratt can pay through the nose for every desirable car on the planet than so be it. He won't live forever and then these top flight cars will be back on the market. At least he hasn't gone belly up like Ralph did. I still prefer BJ as a show especially after seeing A few Vicari Auctions, they were more akin to WWE, and the R&S people just creep me out a little (except for Genvieve)

Edited by samdiego

Personally, I would never go to one of the big auctions- I think the buyer's premium (the fee you pay as a buyer to the auctioneer on top of the purchase price- some of which can run in excess of ten per cent,) is immoral and unreasonable. An admission fee I can understand, but a buyer's premium is just pure profit for the auction house, it's akin to a car dealer marking a car up just because they can- nothing more than another way to suck more money out of your pocket. Unfortunately, most of the auction houses now, big and small, charge a buyer's premium, so I guess auctions are out for me.

Charlie Larkin

Not only does B-J charge a 10% buyers premium, they charge an 8% sellers premium.........yes, they make 18% on every sale. :D

Edited by slantasaurus

AS far as the registration goes, I was watching the news yesterday morning and the covered it. Yes there is a small fee to bid. The minimum is that you need to prove through your bank, that your good for a min of $9,000 or you can bid at all. A lot of cars go early in the auction for as little as $5,000 so I wonder if 5 grand cash will get you in?. I like the show. The grounds are really cool but then again I'm partial as the Good Guys Rod and Custom show is there 2 times a year and thats where my club has a huge model car show :D

If you know BJs game....the cheaper cars go on Tues and Wed...high end on Saturday....Prices this year are up...The 70 challenger /viper went for top $$

I've gone to BJ in west Palm...If I remember it was $18.00 for a day pass..saw all the cars, toys and food....you just do not go to bid if you do not pay the reg.fee. Forty years in business....yeah they must be the crooks all of our naysayers here tell us about........

Why are some of us so Inane and jealous here?

And do not forget....you can turn it off

Heck, I'd pay the $18 just to shop for some cool toys. I mean, hey, I paid $10 to get into the last NNL event I attended! Aside from that, there were some awesome deals to be had on collector-grade cars the first couple days. When you can purchase a fully restored classic for the price of the restoration alone, you're pretty good, whether you're buying at B-J or not.

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66

Brian- did you read the article on that in Jalopnik?

http://jalopnik.com/5739333/president-kennedys-ambulance-is-a-fake

nambulanceNOTEfoundtobeafake02-vi.jpg

In fact, I have heard that Barrett-Jackson will have a news conference on this some time before their event ends. I think this story is still evolving.

I was just looking through the docket for the auction on Barrett-Jackson's site and they have a video of the press conference dated yesterday, Jan 21, attached to the description of the auction lot. It's a 30some minute video, and from the info, I would say the crusher one is the real fake. In my opinion, there is just to much saying the one up for the auction is the real deal.

I was just looking through the docket for the auction on Barrett-Jackson's site and they have a video of the press conference dated yesterday, Jan 21, attached to the description of the auction lot. It's a 30some minute video, and from the info, I would say the crusher one is the real fake. In my opinion, there is just to much saying the one up for the auction is the real deal.

The crushed one was buried in a grassy knoll.

Many years ago, after JFK was killed, it was stated in the news media that his Lincoln conv limo was destroyed shortly after the assassination. It was (much) later acknowledged by Ford Motor Co., the limos owner, that it was rebuilt with a roof and used as the touring limo for LBJ, Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford. Who can you beleive? Certainly the Washington DC politicos have no problem lying to the American public. Why would we be so surprised to find that this ambulance could be found languishing in some barn for fifty years? It would be just like our military to hide this albatross, especially with the influence of the Kennedy family. Only now has the Kennedy limo resurfaced and rebuilt once again to its pre-Kennedy condition and it currently sits in the Ford museum. I think this ambulance just may be the real thing.

Sam,

Yeah I saw that one too. Don't know what it went for though.

The '57 De Soto that went for 170K was real cool. I love those older, big finned Mopars.

I like the JFK ambulance just because its a Pontiac :D

Is it me, or is B-J obsessed with Corvettes? :lol:

Cheers, Ian

And why can't BJ make eighteen percent on the transaction? The new car dealer you just bought your last car from probably made a much larger percentage on your purchase (did you ever see the Blue Book used car guide?). The big numbers these guys throw around is just like us guys buying hundred dollar models. It's all relative.

My dad just called to inform me that the White on Red '70 Hemi Cuda convert that was at our Chicago show (same guy owns the black '70 that I'm building in WIP section) sold for $1.55mm at Russo. I guess the owner didn't really want to sell, but the reserve was $1.4mm, so that must have been a worth while sale for him. He also has a '71 Hemi convert and a few Challengers, Hemi and 440 convertible cars. My guess selling this opens the door for the purchase of somethig equally as cool.

Edited by ian ashton

Many years ago, after JFK was killed, it was stated in the news media that his Lincoln conv limo was destroyed shortly after the assassination. It was (much) later acknowledged by Ford Motor Co., the limos owner, that it was rebuilt with a roof and used as the touring limo for LBJ, Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford. Who can you beleive? Certainly the Washington DC politicos have no problem lying to the American public. Why would we be so surprised to find that this ambulance could be found languishing in some barn for fifty years? It would be just like our military to hide this albatross, especially with the influence of the Kennedy family. Only now has the Kennedy limo resurfaced and rebuilt once again to its pre-Kennedy condition and it currently sits in the Ford museum. I think this ambulance just may be the real thing.

The "Kennedy" limo, a 1961 Lincoln Continental X-100 was rebodied after the assassination. The job took about six months. President Johnson saw that it was the same shade of blue as the Kennedy car, and refused to accept that. The car was then painted black. This car served many presidents as stated. There is no "Only now resurfaced" about this car; nor was it destroyed.

Edited by Jon Cole