Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lincoln

made007

CARS FOR THE MOVIE were built from wrecked/used Mark III Continentals at Barris' shops in SoCal.

The main thing you'd be looking for is the 'chopped' roofline, best sourced from the AMT '70 T'Bird. the rest of te body was just rolled sheetmetal welded at the inside of the 'roll'. Do the same thing with sheet plastic...

Hardest part will be the bumpers and grille...

Good luck!

CARS FOR THE MOVIE were built from wrecked/used Mark III Continentals at Barris' shops in SoCal.

The main thing you'd be looking for is the 'chopped' roofline, best sourced from the AMT '70 T'Bird. the rest of te body was just rolled sheetmetal welded at the inside of the 'roll'. Do the same thing with sheet plastic...

Hardest part will be the bumpers and grille...

Good luck!

the bumpers and grill will be no problem, ill use styrene strips an bondo, but the chopped roofline you mentioned has me thinking

Rob, My reaction when Chrysler started showing previews of the 300C was: "My God Chrysler is releasing a new car based on the movie vehicle The Car.How do they expect to sell cars based on a horror movie?" I've mellowed towards the 300 but I still think they used The Car as a prototype. :lol::)

The main thing you'd be looking for is the 'chopped' roofline

Actually, the real cars used in the movie didn't have their tops chopped; Barris' crew built up the sides of the body in the 'shoulder' area, covering the bottom couple inches of the glass. After studying my buddy's '69 Mark III, it's pretty clear how they pulled it off.

I'm a long-time fan of that film, and I'd also like to see what comes of this proposed build.

Actually, the real cars used in the movie didn't have their tops chopped; Barris' crew built up the sides of the body in the 'shoulder' area, covering the bottom couple inches of the glass. After studying my buddy's '69 Mark III, it's pretty clear how they pulled it off.

I'm a long-time fan of that film, and I'd also like to see what comes of this proposed build.

oh, ok , great information, everytime you guys post a commet you are helping me to build it better, thanks

I grabbed a couple of comparison pics to show the 'anti-chop' treatment.

The movie 'Car,' image borrowed from imcdb.org:

i003779.jpg

My buddy Tom's unrestored '69 Mark III, snapped at my house:

DSCN2209-vi.jpg

You could probably get away with using a 70's Caddy Coupe DeVille for the roof/hood and get away with it, IMO. I have chrome bumpers from a Hasegawa VW Bus that can be sectioned & pieced into that front one.....made007: email me when you are ready to start gathering pieces.

I grabbed a couple of comparison pics to show the 'anti-chop' treatment.

The movie 'Car,' image borrowed from imcdb.org:

i003779.jpg

My buddy Tom's unrestored '69 Mark III, snapped at my house:

DSCN2209-vi.jpg

You could probably get away with using a 70's Caddy Coupe DeVille for the roof/hood and get away with it, IMO. I have chrome bumpers from a Hasegawa VW Bus that can be sectioned & pieced into that front one.....made007: email me when you are ready to start gathering pieces.

allright, i will do, thank you

• 2 weeks later...

When i finish up pachenko i will star this project, what you think?

Man, I hope you finish Pachenko's car soon. I've been waiting to see one of these as a WIP since I've been on MCM.

BTW, I just found this as well...figured it may be a good reference in smaller scale. I think it might be a little cooler with some dust and weathering...and perhaps some red lights behind slammer windows sprayed with VHT Nightshades or black Metalcast from the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peGdgSF5YDg&NR=1

Edited by Skydime