Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell Mustang SVO

gasman

just got the reissue today. its a straight reissue of the old Monogram kit issued last when the car was new. can only be built stock. comes with a nice decal sheet. with all the logo's for the car, and some SCCA decals.

I have two of the originals, with Goodyear® tires, so....

Still too bad they at the time, did the headlamps in such an odd way.

Luc

I have 4 or 5 of the originals; and if the re-issue is the same as the original but in white, I will grab two or three of them. The red plastic isn't bad, but I think I can use the white plastic for light colored paints.

Combining this kit with the 1987 Thunderbird TurboCoupe kit will yield a very nice and more accurate SVO. Looks like it is time to call Hobbytown and see if they have them in stock.

I have 4 or 5 of the originals; and if the re-issue is the same as the original but in white, I will grab two or three of them. The red plastic isn't bad, but I think I can use the white plastic for light colored paints.

Combining this kit with the 1987 Thunderbird TurboCoupe kit will yield a very nice and more accurate SVO. Looks like it is time to call Hobbytown and see if they have them in stock.

If they're part of the early release program the HTU I work for is, they should, we've got at least 3-4 of them on hand right now.

Joe, I just got off the phone with Hobbytown and they got theirs in this morning. They have 3 on the shelves when I talked to them about a half hour ago. I live 65 miles from the Hobbytown, so I will have to wait to go grab some up.

I too am disappointed by the spoiler arrangement, but as this is a straight re-issue (i knew that coming into this) I can live with it and know how to correct it. Believe it or not, the intake is my biggest peeve of the kit. I know it was based off the 84 SVO and later updated to the 85.5-86 SVO, so I will give it a pass. The intake is the inline-4 style (1984-early85), and the later SVO would have the square4 style (found in Revells very nice 1987 Thunderbird TurboCoupe kit). Also, the T/C kit has a nice T-5 tranny versus the SVOs silly attempt at the SROD (not correct for any car after 1983). The one thing the inline4 intake does allow is me to build a correct 1984 Mustang GT Turbo engine, and by combining the front end of the 83-84 convertible with the doors-back of the 1979-82 itinerations of the hatchback kits. Taillights would also come from the 83-84 GLX, but the steering wheel would have to be made (even the 83-84 GLX convertible has the 1979-82 style wheel).

All in all, I am happy to see the SVO back. Now, if I can only get Ed moving on that 1/25th 1991-93 Coupe we have been discussing!).

You are correct Mark, the 2.3T/SROD was just an update of the earlier versions that Monogram tooled. And the T/C swap is dead-simple and yields a nice looking engine. I also took the engine bay and k-member from the T/C, removed the active ride control shields on the strut towers, and used it for the SVO bay. The 8.8" in the T/C is also a nice unit......it too resides under an SVO now!

Don't fear the Revell-O-Gram kit, as it can be done into a pretty nice SVO with a little kitbashing and filing/fitting.

The worst thing about the MPC SVO (besides the horrid headlights and the complete lack of interior detail) is the fact that there are no other 1/25th scale 2.3Ts to source correct parts from. At least in 1/24th we have the later Monogram Thunderbird TurboCoupe, which actually has a lot to offer in terms of pirateable parts. Also of note is the Tamiya 1/24th Mustang GT and Cobra (1994-95 and the 1995 CobraR) kits to grab brake/suspension bits from.

I could remedy the lack of photos situation later this afternoon as I am going to pick up 2 of these in just a few minutes.

You are correct Mark, the AMT and Monogram 1/25th scale 1994+ kits can be used as chassis/wheel/tire donors for the horrid MPC units, and has been done (I think it was Eric Stone or you I was talking about this very thing with) with some success. Either scale has this option availible. Too bad there really isn't a nice 2.3T availible in 1/25th to up-detail the existing MPC piece. That is where good old modeling skill and attention to detail comes into play (even the Revell-O-Gram 1/24th scale 2.3T from the TurboCoupe can use some of that to really make it shine).

Ok, fresh from a haircut and shower, I bring to you fresh re-release plastic SVOness. This will be split into 4 parts, as 10 image limit really kills the one-shot posting with 34 pics to upload!

Keep in mind, this is a direct reissue of a 1984 casting, so none of the flaws have been corrected (with the exception of one, and I acredit that to the part recieving a full shot of styrene versus a short-shot). It does, however, have an updated decal sheet and a new (not in any of my original issues anyway) Motorsport SVO plastic front license plate. So, without further b.s from me, let the pics begin:

Box art is typical 'Streetburner' fare, with a built-up representation of the model at 3/4 front view. Whoever built this box art model did a rather nice job at it, and it looks better than the original by far. The Monogram logo emblazened in the corner gives a nod to the kits roots, but to me takes away slightly from the overall look of the boxtop....personal opinion on this.

001-12.jpg

The instruction sheet is as you would expect for a re-issue, all the old pictures abound with only the call-outs for the new decal sheet added. One nit-pick is the incorrect horsepower rating stated in the decription block.....oh well.

011-10.jpg

Speaking of the decal sheet, I can see where this one is a better shot than the original BY A LONG MARGIN! 4 different plate options, decals for the instruments and badging, some funky stripe package, and some SCCA call-outs and sponsor/contingiency decaling is a nice touch for this sheet. I will find use for some of these in other builds. Kudos Revell for giving us something new and useful.

012-9.jpg, 013-10.jpg, 014-10.jpg

The glass tree is very simple, with a grand total of 6 pieces; the front and rear glass, taillights, and headlight lenses. No suprise as it is a direct re-issue.

002-12.jpg

Like I said, 1984 was the casting/copyright date on this kit, and the chassis/interior tub still bears the marks!

020-12.jpg, 024-9.jpg

Next up, the chrome tree and some of the chassis shots; stay tuned.

On to the second installment. Wow, didn't realize that the pics were as blurry as they were. Camera and Photobucket showed them to be fair at best, but all blown up like this really shows the fuzzy! I need a good light source and a tripod/trigger.

Ok, chrome is good overall, with a smooth shine. As you can see, the mirrors are chromed (with sink marks in their backs) even though they should be Satin Black. Over all, the chrome tree contains the mirrors, wheels, valve cover, headlight buckets, front engine dress cover (should also be satin black), rear-view mirror, and license plate brackets.

005-12.jpg, 010-10.jpg, 006-11.jpg, 007-11.jpg, 009-10.jpg

The rear end is a sore spot with SVO/Mustang guys, as it really doesn't depict either a 7.5" or an 8.8" very well. As a matter of fact, it really doesn't depict any Ford rearend at all (maybe a truck unit, from which it was derived). The front k-member is a one-piece unit that doesn't accurately depict the SVO specific units, but it too is a direct pull from the chassis of the original Monogram 1979 Cobra and Pace Car kits.

019-12.jpg, 026-8.jpg

They did fix the steering wheel, as the original issue had a short-shot issue where it had a terrible sink mark dead-center of the wheel (so much for the SVO emblem in the original issue wheel!). This wheel will find its' way into my 1991 Mustang GT build, with the horn-button detail added (the SVO and the 1983-86 GT Mustang non-cruise wheel was very similar in overall design). Be careful, as my wheel/steering shaft had come off the tree.

028-8.jpg, 029-8.jpg

Next up, the rest of the parts trees and interior bucket.

OK, round 3. I really apologize for the blurriness. As you can tell, pics are NOT a strong point for me! *image links were moved/deleted by O.P.*

First up is the engine/hood/nose tree. Very little flash for such an old mold (then again, if you never use it, I guess wear and tear doesn't happen, huh?).

Interior tub, rear axle, exhaust, and the second piece of the biplane spoiler are next. The spoiler is the second sore spot for the SVO faithful, as the upper piece mates to the incorrect bottom piece cast into the body. The lower is actually just a 1979-early84 3 piece rear spoiler that Monogram wanted you to glue the top plane and the lower 'top' of the SVO Biplane spoiler to. Good kit utilization, bad for detail. Oh well, some careful filing on the 3-piece corners will yield a much better overall looking unit.

The next tree holds the chassis plate, dash, cooling fan, seats, radiator, shifter, front k-member, and other small parts to complete the interior/underhood. The dash is for the most part correct for the SVO, although just a slight bit of texturing to the faceplate will yield a very good looking unit. Also, the seats are the Leather type, as the cloth carried a different pattern. Overall, not a bad interior. Chassis is simplistic in nature and lacking any sort of spring/strut/upper control arm detail, but the plate itself has decent engraving. Some attention to detail and parts replacement here will help out the look overall!

Last installment of the series.......the body. As this entire kit is a straight re-issue, there will be nothing new to suprise those who have built this kit before.

The engine bay is a mismatch at best (take the unit from the later Thunderbird TurboCoupe and really bring the SVO to life with it), and the aforementioned rear spoiler issue remains. Mold lines are there, as they were in the original. Something new, however, is what appears to be mold-slip at the junction of the roof/c-pillar/hatch area. Some carefull filling/sanding will be needed here to correct that issue. Overall flash is minimum, and a little clean-up will be needed. Overall, what I expected, if not a little better.

Tires are no-name repops of the original Goodyear units. Sourcing an original set will get you the sidewall detail you want.
Well, there you have it. A hokey overview of what is in the box of SVO reissue goodness. Overall, it is in good shape and I believe will build up just as the original did. Even with its inaccuracies and lack of detail (wrong intake set-up, rear-end WTF, simplified front suspension, rear spoiler SNAFU), I am glad to have this kit back and in white plastic. The red wasn't bad, but it will leach through if you are trying to shoot a lighter color over it. Now, I can shoot a White, Silver, or custom light-colored paintjob without the pinking tint! Maybe I will even shoot one in the extremely rare Sage Green........hmmmmmm.

Welcome back SVO; combining you with the later offering of the 1987-88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe and a smattering of aftermarket parts/scratchbuilding will really let you shine on a display case or contest table.

P.S: If you need any more up-close pics of any of the individual parts, let me know and I can work on getting those up to you here.

This picture really drives home how huge the 2005+ cars are...look at how much bigger it is than the Fox, but then realize they're not the same scale...the new car is 1/25!

I noticed that when I saw my buddy's '86 parked next to his sister's then-new '07. I thought "Jeez... that 07 is a huge car, or those Fox bodies are tiny!" Little of both I guess.

I was curious if the body mold for this one existed or was turned into the '93 Cobra. They must have cut a new body tool for that one since this kit can be reissued. I'm pretty sure that the SVO was the end of any prior (Pace Car/Cobra) re-issue so I hoped against logic that the body might see some changes if they had to modify the Cobra tool back. Seems pretty clear to me they must have cut a new body for the Cobra kit...shame they didn't just do an all-new tool since probably 2/3 of the Cobra kit's parts had to be re-tooled.

The SROD and 2.3 in this kit date to the 1979-era Cobra kit, so the SVO powertrain is kind of a mash-up. The Turbo Coupe was all new, so it got the right stuff...the swap is pretty easy as I recall.

You are correct, the body in the 93 Cobra was newly tooled.

This picture really drives home how huge the 2005+ cars are...look at how much bigger it is than the Fox, but then realize they're not the same scale...the new car is 1/25!

I noticed that when I saw my buddy's '86 parked next to his sister's then-new '07. I thought "Jeez... that 07 is a huge car, or those Fox bodies are tiny!" Little of both I guess.

What got me at the Auto show last Friday is that you can take a car that is that much bigger, and you may not have any more room in it that the smaller car:blink: I swear that the new Durango didn't have as much interior room as any XJ Cherokee's I've been in :huh:

Eric and Dave, glad I could help. I have 4 of the red-plastic versions, and now 2 of these reissues. Knowing my penchant for FOXes, I will more than likely grab one or two more.

The pics illustrate why the FOX Mustang (and its cousins) are sought after today; their smaller size and light weight. The Mustang has become a fat lady, heavy and bloated with garbage that isn't needed. Also, due to the ever-increasing rate at which morons and lawyers reproduce, the newer cars are becoming saddled with all forms of 'safety' features that would not be needed should Americans re-learn how to really drive their cars (versus using them as mobile couches, meeting rooms, office spaces, and cafeterias).

The 10 year newer release of the Revell-O-Gram 1987-88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe can be combined with this SVO (either original issue or current reissue) to detail up and/or update the SVO to a more correct in-scale model. I was going to write up a comparo between the two, showing what parts to use from the T/C, and what/where needs to be cut/pasted between the two for a really nice SVO. if anyone wants to see such, let me know and I will take some time to write it up.

All said, thank you Revell for bringing this SVO back. While you will still pay about what you would for an Ebay score, you can now much more readily find them.

What got me at the Auto show last Friday is that you can take a car that is that much bigger, and you may not have any more room in it that the smaller car:blink: I swear that the new Durango didn't have as much interior room as any XJ Cherokee's I've been in :D

I hear ya Joe. I had a 2004 Dakota that had less room inside than the 2003 Ranger I have now :blink:. They are both single cabs. Always felt like the dash was right up in my face in the Dakota.

grumpy gus