Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  I'll come over and hand you tools if that'll help. Anything to get this on the show table at DSC or GSL or whatever show for this year its going to make it's debut.

I am at a point where I am so tired and fustrated  ove4 having these little hiccups that if I can't get it fixed the way i want then I probably won't go to DSC. 

Fabrizio... Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Danno... I know it is. Was Just really frustrated when I posted that.

Bob... Thanks, It's not that I haven't dealt with any problems. the problem is I am running out of time and right now I have no extra time in order to get this done in time for a show. There is less than 2 Months... actually 7 weeks to be exact.

Chris just focus on getting it done. Don't put pressurenon yourself  worrying about the deadline. 

I've been on that hamster wheel to many times. Goalnis to finish a project for a show. Two months to show and can't get projeft finished. Promise self will be different next year.  Life gets in way, other distractions, and now two months to next show. I know the frustration.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

Got to agree with Bob here. I know the goal but please don't rush it. It will be finished up in time. I've learned the hard way when you rush it, you are just not happy with the results. And when it's a labor of love such as this piece of art you have created it makes it all the more disappointing. BUT, please finish it before GSL lol. Because if I can manage to get the Chevelle finished before GSL 27, not only do I not want to have to compete against it, to have both models on the table would be Marks nightmare! lol. Wait....maybe we should finish at the same time time..... haha

Seriously though, can't rush perfection and sometimes it takes a step back to keep from getting to the point you are at. Life throws its little wrenches in there too. Just breathe brother. In time, good things come.

Bob... Thanks man I appreciate it. I have been putting that pressure on myself because I know it needs to get done.

Paul... Thanks man, I have let myself get overwhelmed with things and trying so hard to make things look perfect, which it's far away from being perfect at this point. But seems every time I feel I am making some good strides on the build something comes along and knocks me off my feet and I have to go back wards and Fix more things. That's why I just want this thing done. That would make it a nightmare for Mark huh... lol. After this I will need to plan another build or two for GSL in 2 years :lol:. I was hoping to have an update tonight but yeah not going to happen. Soon.. Very soon....

Well guys it seems every time that I feel i am making good progress and moving forward, something happens and the build takes steps backwards... getting really tired of this happening every step of the way I feel like saying screw it and shelving it...

I have never built anything that didnt have set backs. "Third time is a charm" is usually my progress pace lol I know you frustrations very well and so do the others. If this was easy than it wouldn't be as rewarding. Just look at all the good thats in it!!!! You have PLENTY.

Look at Codi for inspiration. He lost an entire project with a single mishap. He licked his wounds and moved forward. I honestly dont think I could have done the same.

Watching this come to fruition ,,,,There is no way I could / would rush it at this point. If you make your deadline, Great.  If not so what . Tomorrow is another day and another opportunity  .  At the level your trying to achieve, there is bound to be setbacks. Its all part of it. And l like everything else ,we deal with it and move forward .

To me , I build what I want , when I want to build it. Its all about inspiration. Without it , I don't go near the model bench.

I also have a life size model in the garage. Wrapped up  in the form of a 1968 Charger RT. Its a customers car that's been in process off an on for the past 3 years or so,,,,so its not like the 1/25th scale cars are the only modeling I get to do . And with no major setbacks ( and its certainly had its share) from this point forward . The car will roll out of my garage by end of April DONE .

And with summer right around the corner, modeling will come to a screeching halt here soon for me anyway.

I just realized that your blower is a 3d printed part and not a polished aluminum unit. Now Im really jealous LOL

That's one of the many things that makes this an outstanding model. There are some specialty items but for the most part its been built with parts and pieces that most of us could get our hands on. 

Only a select few would have the skill and talent Chris has but none the less the techniques used to accomplish the different finishes are available for the most part to the average modeler as well.

John... Thanks for the kind comments. You are right that every build tends to have set backs and sometimes I found that I was happier with the part after I had remade it the 3rd time around...lol. I think sometimes at the point I am at with assembly things that I am trying to be so careful not to mess or screw anything up that I mess something up. Yes I drew the blower up and had it 3D printed at Shapeways, I sanded and primered and sanded some more and primered more until I was happy with how smooth it was. Then it was painted with Alclad's Polished Aluminum.

Bill.... Thank you. I hear you about not rushing it to just get it finished. There are days I have had were the motivation just isn't there and I don't go to the bench. With any build as you mentioned there tends to be minor set backs. I have been working thru those. 

Mitch... Thank you very much for the kind words. I had to look into drawing up and having parts 3D printed since some of the parts I needed to make this build wasn't available anywhere. I have been trying to make this as close to the real car as possible, It's made me push my limits and things I never though I could do. So far I am happy with the out come. It's no where near perfect but good enough for me. I would just like to see it done now...lol

Good Morning Guys..... I figured it was time to post an update. Things are coming along but they are moving way slower than I was expecting. I have had a few hurdles and set backs in the process but I making my way thru things. Anyway I was finally able to finally Finish getting the plug wires installed. Here are a few pics of the little progress that has been made.

I was finally able to get the distributor glued in place and got the decal added as well:

Here is the wire looms, I started out with Pro Techs 1/25 scale wire looms and drilled them out to be able to use Pro Tech's 1/16th scale plug wire. I then painted them blue since the real car's were blue:

Here is the left side plug wires, I also weathered the plug wires to dirty them up a little bit:

Here is a front shot view:

And here is the right side plug wires:

another view:

now i know for sure.......there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with you, my friend. while that is absolutely beautiful, you have to have something shorting out in your head to be able to do that!!!!!!!!

just kiddin' chris........not about this being beautiful!

Chris;

Glad you remembered to leave enough room between the plug wires for the valve cover breathers!!  Although that may seem like a little thing, I've had many "Doh!!":o moments with little things like that over the years....Always gotta be thinkin' 4 steps ahead!!  Fantastic job on the ignition to say the least, this literally can pass for 1 to 1.

Hi Chris,  that last pic really shows the beautiful job you've done, I especially like the drape you got on the looms & wires and the blue color of the wires accentuates the rest of it sublimely. (there's an adjective not used every day)  Just superb sir.  cheers, tim