Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

The first post in this thread is dated March 14th, 2011 and Chris said in that post he started this about a week ago. Six years and two months, about as long as I've known Chris. This thread is a 'must read' for anyone wanting to better their skills and and a 'how-to' on modeling innovation.

I agree 100% and I tried. But I find myself searching for the "meat" in between all the kudos and grattitude posts (which outnumber the "meat" of the thread by quite a bit.  I gave up after few going through several hundreds of posts. I'm not trying to take anything away from the master-builder or the meticulous build quality - all the kudos are well-deserved of course, but if I could get a copy of this thread with just the build posts that would make an awesome tutorial (about the model and the 1:1 scale car).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brad... Thanks for checking in. I haven't gotten to the bench in quite some time. I have lost the motivation but trying to get back to the bench soon. But I have trying to update all of my threads that I have started with updating the photo's I have them all done except my FED thread from a few years ago and well This Funny Car thread. I am trying to get my photobucket sized below the 2GB storage because I currently pay for it and my account renewal is coming up at the end of this Month, July 31st to be exact. so I am going to cancel the storage there but not sure if it will bite me in the butt with this thread once I do that. I figured if I get it bellow I can leave it and proceed with Fotki but I am debating if I should bite the bullet and try to Migrate all of these pics in this thread over to Fotki before the end of the month. Its been a pain in the rear with my other threads but there are 220 pages to go thru and update here. Guess we will see what happens

Mark... Thanks for checking in on this build. I am really close to the home stretch. Although I haven't had much motivation since GSL had a couple of hiccups when I got back but trying to get back to the bench.

Charlie... thanks for swinging by and checking it out. I will remember your advice advice try to take it a little slower on the next one :lol::lol:.... on another note I am super close to installing the rest of the fuel lines and making the motor come to life with your awesome Braided Line.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Guys... I know I haven't had an update in quite a while. I haven't really done much on this since GSL and have done a little work here and there but really haven't gotten as much accomplished as I would like. I have gotten a couple things done the past 3 months but just haven't had motivation for this build. Here is a little of what I have accomplished.

Here is all of the components for my body latch mechanism. I had to redo the Pull handle and how I had it attaching to the assembly. I ended up using Albion Alloys Nickle Silver Tubing and Soldered the T-Handle as well as a .5mm threaded bolt into it, I cut the head off the bolt to get it to work the way I wanted:

DPArmyVega80401-vi.jpg

Here I decided to make a centering spud for the spring that would mount to the inside of the body:

DPArmyVega80431-vi.jpg

It was time to get the rod painted and I used Model Master Metalizer that I had which was the closest to a steel color I had:

DPArmyVega80441-vi.jpg

Here I got the spring centering spud trimmed and glued into place on the body:

DPArmyVega80451-vi.jpg

Here is the Body latch Mechanism installed into the Body, The Pull Handle:

DPArmyVega80461-vi.jpg

Here is the spring on the centering spud:

DPArmyVega80471-vi.jpg

Here is the "J" Hook mounted to the front body supports:

DPArmyVega80491-vi.jpg

Here is a pic of all of it assembled together:

DPArmyVega80481-vi.jpg