Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Another task marked off the list. Those tins look great brother.

Brad... Thanks Brother!! Felt good to check those off the list. But it seems every time that I start to make some good steps forward there is always something that ends up pushing me back. I started to install the chassis floor tin yesterday and well it didn't go very well and did not fit like it did before, actually wasn't going to work at all. So needless to say I had to re-fabricate a new one. Guess this is the story of my life on this build. I am so ready to be done with it. I will try to get some pics up in a bit.

Brad.... As promised here are a few pics of the new Chassis Floor Tin....

Here is the remade floor tin, It still needs to be painted but the painful task of remaking it is done. But the good news is that It fits much better than the original one did and am much happier about that. Also Thanks goes out to Brad because he was the one that gave me a sheet of this printing plate which I still have plenty of stock to make more parts from and its really easy to work with. Here is the old piece next to the new one:

2v2ukRNUdxAhe9C.jpg

placed on the chassis for a fit check:

2v2ukRNuLxAhe9C.jpg

Bottom View:

2v2ukRNHGxAhe9C.jpg

Right Side:

2v2ukRNanxAhe9C.jpg

Left Side:

2v2ukRNZFxAhe9C.jpg

Brad... Thanks brother. This one fits much better and will fit just fine once painted.

Bob....Thank you. It's getting much closer. I have a final list of things to do that I am trying to check things off and well this small hiccup has pushed me back a little. This floor pan needs to be painted and glued in place before I can proceed.

Dave... Thank you!!

Paul... Thanks brother! The printing plate is about .006" to .007" thick.

Tim.... Thanks Brother. Glad to her the side tins have put a smile on your face. I need to get some better pics so you can see the details and the dzus fasteners. I will get some better pics up soon.

• 2 months later...

Hello All I know its been a while since I have had an update. I have been doing a little work here and there when I can. Feel that I have made some great progress and hit a couple of milestones which is good but then there is always the bad that takes me a few more steps back. They say building models is supposed to be fun... :lol: Anyway let me share with you a little of what I have been able to check off my to do list. Some of the pics didn't turn out that great and I apologize for the quality of them.

I was able to finally get the bottom chassis tin painted and installed onto the chassis:

2v2udiaJNxAhe9C.jpg

2v2udiaHjxAhe9C.jpg

Then I did a little more work to the transmission, adding all of the bolts to the bell housing flange. I used RB motion hardware for these:

2v2udiaeqxAhe9C.jpg

2v2udiaQdxAhe9C.jpg

Up next was installing some of the braided lines and gluing in the fittings and let me tell you these suckers tested my patience for sure. All A/N Fittings are RB Motion Fittings and the Braided line is Pro-Tech which is the best in the business in my opinion:

2v2udiaK5xAhe9C.jpg

2v2udiacjxAhe9C.jpg

2v2udiaw8xAhe9C.jpg

2v2udiaBhxAhe9C.jpg

2v2udiatLxAhe9C.jpg

The next thing I decided to tackle was getting the transmission glued to the engine mid-Plate. But I decided to design a jig up first which would hold the engine and transmission together while the Epoxy was drying. I wanted to be sure that it wouldn't move and fully cure overnight. I decided to make the jig out of brass and soldered it all up. Then my choice of epoxy was 30 min epoxy which would allow me more working time to get things into place the way I needed to before it started to set up:

2v2udiaRGxAhe9C.jpg\

2v2udiaPqxAhe9C.jpg

2v2udiaDCxAhe9C.jpg

So as I mentioned It felt good to get all of these things accomplished and check off the list. Some of these were little milestones for me. But with the Good comes the Bad. After I had got the epoxy applied to the transmission and got it mated up to the block. I tightened the bolts on the jig which would pull the transmission towards the engine block to keep constant pressure applied while the glue dried. I was checking on the epoxy on my mixing sheet to see if it was setting up and well I decided to pick up the jig to make sure that there was no epoxy that was pushing out and noticed a few spots where I had to wipe some off and well just my luck I drop the engine from a good 6" to 8" on to my workbench. Not sure how it slipped out of my hands but it did and needless to say there are some things that I need to be fixed. I am starting to feel like I can't win with the build. The only thing I can do is go back and fix these things one by one...... Not sure when I will have another update now....

Edited by Mooneyzs

Good morning Chris, the fuel lines look perfect and the engine / trans jig idea was pure genius.  I'm going to borrow some of those ideas (again) at some point I'm sure.  So far as the "bad news" part of the post, I have no words for you except to encourage you so you can overcome it too.  I'm hopeful the damage wasn't too severe.  Best regards, Tim

fantastic workmanship as always Chris.   Sorry to hear of the mishap...Keep your head up!  Its not the first time... we are all still human and newtons law is strong!  I am sure you will have it all fixed up in no time and it probably be even better knowing you!  (not sure how you can make it better)

Dave

Danno.... Thank you, How many more days before I can say "Next Year" to you again at the rate things are going now?? :lol:

Jason... Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

Tim... Thank you my friend. You know you are more than welcome to borrow any ideas you want. It's why I like to share my work since I have learned a lot from you and many others. If you have any questions on what I used you know you can always ask and I will always be willing to help you out.

Hakan... Thank you.

Dave... Thank you for the kind words. You are right this isn't the first time on this build. It just took a bunch of wind out of my sails when I felt I was making some good progress to getting her closer to being done. Hopefully it will look as good as it did before the mishap.

Jim... Thank you very much. I was sorta trying to approach things with that mindset that each little sub-assembly was it's own model.

Well Fellas.... I am hoping to get to the bench this weekend and start fixing some things and getting some other things checked off my to do list. We will see what happens.