Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Hey Chris I'm so pleased to see you back on this build. Everyone gets blown out on projects at one stage or another, so im glad your enthusiasm has returned ..

In future,  imagine setting this up at a show, all finished..  Could you imagine seeing this for the first time ??   I think its easily the best replica of a real dragster I've ever seen, I'm sure everyone else would agree too !  Your going to be very pleased you finished this, and hopefully very proud of yourself for creating such a masterpiece !

Niko... Thanks my friend. I am almost thinking at this point that building a 1:1 may of been easier at this point...:lol:

Danno.... thanks... I don't want to say anything to jinx myself..lol ;)

Martin.... thanks, you don't know how happy I am to be making the progress I am right now. I have that motivation back on this one. It is a pretty cool thought to think about this build being done and sitting on a table at a show. I appreciate the kind words.

Scott... thank you. All of the labor pains on this one is starting to be worth all of it seeing it come together now.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Alright Guys... I was able to get more bench time last night and it was very productive. I can say that I officially got the Manifold mounted for good and I also got the Valve Covers and Valve cover gaskets glued on as well. I feel like I hit a Milestone with just this because now that with every little piece going on the engine its all starting to come together and It's give me motivation seeing it more and more together. Ok I will shut up and show the pics now....lol

Sorry for the not so great pics, I took them with my cell phone last night and was too lazy to retake pics to post

Here is a shot of the manifold where I was trying to figure out which bolts I wanted to use, Nickle Plated or Brass:

DP-Army-Vega%207979-1_zps5qbfztjs.jpg

I ended up going with Nickle Plated and here is the Manifold along with the Manifold Gasket Bolted into place for the last and final time:

DP-Army-Vega%207981-1_zpsjgcdi6u3.jpg

Here is engine with the Valve Covers Glued on for good:

DP-Army-Vega%207982-1_zpsy7xyovw4.jpg

Here is the Opposite side:

DP-Army-Vega%207983-1_zpssj3hzhgr.jpg

And well this has to be my Favorite pic so far of the engine. I just had to mock it up with the Blower, Distributor and Idler pulley to get an idea of what it looked like together. The results made me smile:

DP-Army-Vega%207984-1_zpsr6pwprhy.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Bob... thank you.

John... thanks brother. It's exciting seeing the engine get closer to being done. I think you may need to start wearing depends if you are starting to poop your self.

Brad... thanks man. It's getting fun again and I am hoping to pull a few more tricks out of the bag to make it look like the real thing.

Dave... I take it you like.... lol 

Tim... Thanks my friend. I am having fun again.

Dave... thanks, I appreciate it.

Jesse... LOL.. thanks, that's how I was feeling when I did the mock up and felt all of the hard work I have put into the engine has paid off.

John... thanks man. No clue... lol.

John C... Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. I am ready to have this thing done. It's gone way longer than I was thinking but the lessons learned and the way it's turning out, I am actually happened with it so far. Hopefully very soon I can call it done.

Paul... that light at the end of the tunnel ia getting brighter and I have less than 2 months now. Sorta scary to think about that... I really need to get my butt in gear and be doing work each day on it to get there... lol

Edited by Mooneyzs

It feels to me like this is a pivotal moment in this odyssey. This is where the impetus comes from that ignites the motivation to 

complete this piece of modeling history.

"By Grabthar's Hammer I will avenge....." Wait. Right movie, wrong quote. "Never give up! Never surrender!"

Mike... I honestly don't know what I would do if they wanted one build. I have alot of time in it but building other one would go alot quicker then again I am trade to build some other builds besides another funny car at the moment. Well one idea would be if I was able to go visit the real car at Hendricks Motor sports and get all the reference pics I could but I know it's in Mr H's private collection so I probably wouldn't be able to even get close or see it.

Brad... that could be done but wouldn't turn out all that great in my opinion printing it as an assembly.

Bill... Thank you. .. it's getting closer thats for sure.

Joe... thanks.. I am so ready to be done with this one.

Bruce... thank you. There are moments that this build test's my patience for sure.

Well guys it seems every time that I feel i am making good progress and moving forward, something happens and the build takes steps backwards... getting really tired of this happening every step of the way I feel like saying screw it and shelving it...

... getting really tired of this happening every step of the way I feel like saying screw it and shelving it...

NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  I'll come over and hand you tools if that'll help. Anything to get this on the show table at DSC or GSL or whatever show for this year its going to make it's debut.