Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meyers Manx

gwaltz1

I don't know if it's doable, but anyone who's up for crazy kit-bashing and aftermarket stuff might use this Mendeola Manxter for inspiration. Lots of highly detailed pictures here...

http://www.fantasyju...Flat 6-Cylinder

"This particular Manxter was custom built to a high specification at massive expense, over $65,000, to create a truly unique vehicle. Powered by a liquid-cooled Subaru flat-6 making approximately 320hp, this vehicle weighs less than 2000 pounds and employs a proprietary 4-Speed with a 10" ring gear, and Porsche 930 CV joints. The power to weight ratio is outstanding and the performance nothing short of awesome. Built utilizing a section of a 1973 Volkswagen pan (and titled accordingly), the suspension is fully engineered to provide superb handling thanks to a fully tunable double A-arm and trailing arm suspension with Fox Racing shock absorbers and Eibach springs. The vehicle is equipped with front and rear sway bars with urethane bushings and heim joints to ensure precise handling. American Racing 17” and 18” alloy wheels with modern Dunlop performance low profile tires for maximum grip. Disc brakes with cross drilled rotors at all four corners provide stopping power."

post-4455-0-02962600-1352998672_thumb.jp

Edited by sjordan2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am nearing completion on this one and i must say it holds the record for having the highest percentage of parts needing substantial clean up efforts, nearly 100%!!! I am happy to have had an opportunity to learn and use the Don Yost lacquer thinned enamel technique. I need more practice. I also used my first Miniatures and Replicas resin set. It certainly will not be the last. Norm, you rock!

The molding of the kit is just terrible.

Happy to be almost done.

Joe.

So we're at 19 pages on this thread, but I haven't seen any builds.

???

The finished builds have been posted " Under Glass " . I finished mine 6 or 7 months ago !

Edit - You need to look again ! There are builds on the following pages : 8 - 10 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17

1-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

Edited by TooOld

I've also got a pearl Green version on page 17, but I'm looking at building another with the minimum of paint. Firstly I've just had delivered a package from the partsbox in Australia, with various size turbochargers (up to truck size!). So with photos from a VW engine builder, I shall be bending a few pipes soon to fit one turbocharger to the aircooled motor. I shall be fitting the bomber seats I've bought from Crazy Jim above...........

15-8.jpg

and I'm covering the whole body with carbon fibre decal from Scale Motorsport! I have also obtained big and small front and rear wheels and tyres from Hobby Link Japan. But come on Crazy Jim get that kit out of the box and give it some!

Edited by PatW

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done. Where do the seat belts attach???

thanks,

joe.

As these were homebuilt cars anything goes! Mine are bolted to holes in the side of the frame tunnel, and to a reinforced body bolt just ahead of the roll bar. I have seen them bolted to the seat tracks and just into the floor sheet metal, not every builder was skilled enough to to a proper job..

As these were homebuilt cars anything goes! Mine are bolted to holes in the side of the frame tunnel, and to a reinforced body bolt just ahead of the roll bar. I have seen them bolted to the seat tracks and just into the floor sheet metal, not every builder was skilled enough to to a proper job..

I was thinking that would be the case. Thanks Craig.

Joe.

Edited by jaydar

Almost done. Where do the seat belts attach???

thanks,

joe.

On the stock Bugs, the seatbelt mounting points were on the transmission tunnel near the handbrake and on the bottom of the B pillar on the body.

Great looking buggy! The extra engine detail looks great.

David G.

On the stock Bugs, the seatbelt mounting points were on the transmission tunnel near the handbrake and on the bottom of the B pillar on the body.

Great looking buggy! The extra engine detail looks great.

David G.

The part of the tunnel where the bugs belts mounted is in the section that is removed when the chassis is shortened, and the B piller is part of the body that the builder removes. And most buggys were built from beetles too old to have been built with belts. The buggy builder must do his own mounts. I have seen some nice three point belts in buggys using tht roll bar as the upper point.

• 1 month later...

Round2 seems to be really milking every release lately, especially if there's a movie tie-in:

AMT-847 - 1/25 Elvis' Meyers Manx

I guess it was only a matter of time before poor Elvis' name was used to sell a kit. :( Hopefully this one'll include a TCB belt buckle or maybe a scale Fool's Gold Loaf sandwich? :D