Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Ford Falcon Sprint Hardtop

Gregg

I think more than anything there's a pretty good segment of the hobby population that actually believe that if the kit is "bashed" enough (and by that I mean critiqued, not blended with another kit to make it better) that the manufacturer is just going to cancel all future planned releases within that genre, or to close it's doors and tell everyone to buzz off.

I mean after all someone started, and perpetrated a pretty solid rumor that because the truck guys were complaining about the wheels in the reissues of the old AMT truck kits, that AMT was going to subsequently cancel all their plans to do any more of them.

Yet we've seen exactly the opposite in that regard with Moebius re-doing the Hudson tooling, and AMT fixing the truck kit wheel issue.

Perhaps it's a lack of business acumen, or the fact that this hobby in general is based on speculation and rumor (just think of all the stuff that gets said when the new release schedules are pending), but in reality it's not in any company's best interest to tee off their consumers by producing sub-standard products and/or take their ball and go home when someone has a legitimate complaint about the product.

In the end sales are what drives the success or failure of a product. Take that DoH Charger, it's a trash heap of a kit, but you couldn't keep people from buying it with a National Guard Brigade.

This "sky is falling from critical commentary" mentality seems to discount the fact that the money on these model kits is already spent, not to mention the product development budget for the coming year. I'm relatively confident that Trumpeter, Revell, AMT, etc are already firming up their plans for their 2012 releases at iHobby in October, and we've yet to see what the late summer/fall 2011 plans are yet...or even see the releases of most of October 2010 release schedule (or some of the late summer/fall in the case of Revell).

To wrap this back around to the subject at hand, I wasn't dancing in the streets in expectation of this kit after Trumpeter's previous weak bunts on the automotive kits. However seeing that it has a mini-tub already built into the chassis make me toss all ideas of doing factory/replica stock build, and whirls into using some of the large displacement Ford engines and large street "slicks" I have lying around. I'm actually MORE interested in this kit knowing it's not quite the best in the detail category under the hood and chassis...

With respects to the criticisms of this kit, if I can find one reasonably priced I will get one. I love the real 64-65 Falcons, and God knows I have enough chassis and engines from dead Mustangs of the era sitting here to easily correct the chassis/engine gripes. As to the slab-sided body....guess some hot water and careful rolling will be in order. All in all, I see it as a good bit of kitbash-worthy styrene (these are merely my opinions, and should NOT be taken for anything more than just that).

Black Panel, Orange Insert

I am doing a pair of seats black with orange pin striping

Notice he said a pair of seats, not the kit seats?

Think it may have something to do with the motor?

What a snake, I tell you......

Black Panel, Orange Insert

I am doing a pair of seats black with orange pin striping

Notice he said a pair of seats, not the kit seats?

Think it may have something to do with the motor?

What a snake, I tell you......

Mr. Furious: Okay, am I the only one who finds these sayings just a little bit formulaic? "If you want to push something down, you have to pull it up. If you want to go left, you have to go right." It's...

The Sphinx: Your temper is very quick, my friend. But until you learn to master your rage...

Mr. Furious: ...your rage will become your master? That's what you were going to say. Right? Right?

The Sphinx: Not necessarily.

;)

Edited by Jordan White

the panel lines are a little big on this one. i don't know that i'd really consider it a problem but the one that does bother me slightly is the rocker panel gap after the door.

some kits have almost non-existant panel lines.....................

Yeah it could be like some Revell kits that have the fenders,cowl and rocker panels molded together! :lol:

I sprayed this will Tamiya primers and HOK lacquers, hence super thin coats

I can guarantee that if I used the thicker Testors paints the panel lines would bea lot less visible.

I love the panel lines

I will buy all the kits that the naysayers will refuse to buy

The only thing I do agree with is the high price of the kit

If it was the same price of the Galaxie kits, which I also love, I think it would do super well!

Is it possible we could have a moratorium on the use of the word "naysayers?"

To me, it has negative connotations, and, besides, I have yet to see the first instance where folks not enamored of this kit have resorted to name-calling to refer to those who like it. Just sayin' ...

Ok... from now on you are a "contrarian"... :unsure:

I don't mind "contrarian" so much, but maybe I'd prefer "truth speaker" - calm down, I'm just joking!

I was looking through my '64 Falcon shop manual today - mostly to refresh my memory, but it made me aware of another round of things that I don't think are right (is that better than "wrong"?) with this kit.