Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar XKSS

Matt Bacon

Based on a recent "Classic Cars" article about the most authentic/least restored XKSS, recently returned to the road, this is Revell's ageing but still rather good 1/24 kit:
low-front-left-human-sized-XL.jpg
left-profile-human-sized-XL.jpg
front-left-in-sun-XL.jpg
low-front-right-XL.jpg
high-rear-left-in-sun-X2.jpg
opened-up-high-left-X3.jpg
opened-up-high-right-X3.jpg
high-rear-right-X2.jpg

The aggressive look:
low-front-quarter-X3.jpg

The family tree:
cats-2-X2.jpg

Edited by Matt Bacon

Very nice!! Love those old Jags and yours look great!

I have a couple of those XKSS kits in my stash. I've been intending to build one, but now I don't have to. I'll just print an image of yours and put it on my shelf.

Couldn't do any better than that myself anyway.

:o

This one is looking GREAT! I like the color on it, it's British Racing Green, isn't it? Paintjob is also very nice, so shiny and very smooth. I like the engine work a lot, detailing is very nice and interior looks good too. Nice work with this Jaguar, wheels and tires are really nice too. B)

Thanks very much for the kind words, guys. I think it's a very nice kit, especially considering the moulds are at least 20 years old, and having that excellent Tamiya acrylic paint and a great reference article from "Classic Cars" magazine made all the difference!

And here's a couple especially for Harry P...

low-front-right-human-sized-X2.jpg
dogfight-double-5-X2.jpg

bestest,
M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

• 2 years later...

Given the discussion of XKSSes and E-Types over on Jaguar Man 21's build thread, I thought it was probably worth re-uploading these pics, so I didn't hijack his thread any further! They disappeared when Apple's Mobile Me Gallerys closed down a couple of years back, but I've rehomed them with SmugMug now.

And Charlie -- that's a Jaguar XJ13 racer, a stillborn prototype, but it remains one of the best looking cars I know...

bestest,

M.

Matt, you did a great job on this! Always heard it was a difficult kit but your build shows no evidence of that - I guess you overcame what problems there were.

Very nice model and I like your E-Type too.

Thanks, guys -- here are a few more of the E-Type (or XK-E to you guys!). It's the early-60s vintage Revell kit, built straight from the box for a Classic British Kits SIG display at Scale Model World a few years ago (Hence the CBK 51G number plate). It's a classic BRITISH kit because it was designed and tooled by the Revell UK guys at Potters Bar)

left-front-high-X2.jpg

left-rear-high-X2.jpg

left-rear-bonnet-open-high-X2.jpg

right-rear-bonnet-open-X2.jpg

front-right-quarter-low-X2.jpg

headon-X2.jpg

I takes some work, and if Mr Tamiya came up with a state of the art new kit I wouldn't complain, but it's really not a bad kit, IMHO...

bestest,

M.

Yep, Brian... it's a "K&R Replicas" white metal kit, bought for me for Christmas a few years ago by my lovely wife. It's not Model Factory Hiro expensive, but it was about £100, which is really about as much as I can justify for my "hobby".... It is one of my all time top 3 favorite cars, though, and the only one of which there is no mainstream plastic kit (and I seriously doubt Mr Tamiya will be creating one any time soon). I'll re-home a few more pics and post them up here towards the end of the week...

bestest,

M.