Model Cars Magazine Forum

JET CAR--It's When You Think You've Seen It All

Looks like an interesting project. When I saw the title, I thought it was gonna be a replica of an actual jet car, or something like one of the rocket cars we used to make when I was young. We used model rocketry rocket motors to shoot them across parking lots and down the road. Biggest problem we had was the short life expectancy on the cars, especially if we used two stage motors.lol

LOL, the point is that someone was thinking how cool it would be to have a jet-engine like vehicle.

Now, imagine the possibilities with an R/C car, and some "E" rocket hobby boosters out on a field. Wouldn't that be enough thrust to get the vehicle moving? And then how cool would that not be?

Potential, potential, potential.

Here is a picture from a show from a few years back. I don'tknow which show this was taken at or exactly when. I guess as long as the activity of lighting the torch is closely monitored then there shouldn't be any harm but I could see where issues could exist by lighting it in the wrong area. I think it's a cool effect.

DSC02317vi-vi.jpg

Wayne, thanks for sharing this wonderful picture. I wonder if the same effect could be achieved with a bright light that's modulated somehow. Since I am math and electricity impaired, I could not begin to figure something like that out. :lol:

Anybody remember Hollywood Jim's lowrider with the light-up flamethrower exhausts?

Similar idea, similar effect. Jim did it safely with clear plastic, fiberoptics, LEDs, a battery and a magnetic reed switch.

:lol:

Here is the REAL THING!

IMG_8392-vi.jpg

That's a local guy I know Darin Bay. I won't call him a friend exactly, but I did a lot of work for him this spring helping out on the design for his race car trailer wrap. Also spent a goodly amount of time around the two finished dragsters and the new one that was just sent out to the paint shop as the wrap finished up.

The engines are turbines with the prop-shaft drive removed. They are same as what is found on medium sized turboprop aircraft and helicopters. The afterburner is hand made in the shop and effectively double the total thrust of the standard engine. That flame is more than half the length of the entire car by the way.... B)

Top speed easily over 300mph in a quarter mile with-out even trying hard!

I keep having visions of bubbling paint and dripping plastic.........:lol:

...and a model contest losing their security deposit, then needing to find another venue for next year's event. :P

It's a cool idea, and I'm sure YouTubers would eat it up, but I'd say it has no place on a contest table.

• 12 years later...

I remember, as a youth, putting a a pack of 4>6 bottle rockets in the back or our old AMT model cars, the metal axles were the trick element, and racing them down the street against my friends COX .049 car.

Edited by Big John
punctuation

As a kid, I mounted this thing in the only model airplane I ever built. I don’t recall what it was, but it was military, and styrene with about an 8” wingspan. Likely way too heavy.🤔 I fastened two eye hooks to it and strung up a taut fishing line for it to hang on, and lit it up.😬  I don’t recall it actually moving under its own power though?🥴

IMG_9699.jpeg

IMG_9700.jpeg

IMG_9701.jpeg

IMG_9702.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

13 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

As a kid, I mounted this thing in the only model airplane I ever built. I don’t recall what it was, but it was military, and styrene with about an 8” wingspan. Likely way too heavy.🤔 I fastened two eye hooks to it and strung up a taut fishing line for it to hang on, and lit it up.😬  I don’t recall it actually moving under its own power though?🥴

IMG_9699.jpeg

IMG_9700.jpeg

IMG_9701.jpeg

IMG_9702.jpeg

That is cool! I have never seen anything like it. Does it produce actual thrust?