Model Cars Magazine Forum

RAT ROD FRIDAYS!!!!!

deathskull59

Hey Chuck,

All of your rats are interesting to say the least, cutting the Corvair in half is great, now I have to build a 6 cylinder along that line, was wondering if you remembered where the headers for the 32 Chevy came from.

Thanks, Robert

Those headers are from a Revell Beatnik Bandit.

I have seen a few rat rods previously on this forum, although well built and detail was second to none, I have never really been crazy about them or that style.. I have to admit that many of the subjects Ive seen in this post have completely changed my mind and got me drooling! Not to be dismissive of many of the greats builds posted here, but the "little deuce" 32 ford is insane!!

Amazing work guys!

Edited by JesseJames

• 1 month later...

I have seen a few rat rods previously on this forum, although well built and detail was second to none, I have never really been crazy about them or that style.. I have to admit that many of the subjects Ive seen in this post have completely changed my mind and got me drooling! Not to be dismissive of many of the greats builds posted here, but the "little deuce" 32 ford is insane!!

Amazing work guys!

I'm right there with ya Jesse. When the trend first popped up a number of years ago I was just disgusted with it. I mean why in the world would you make a model look bad............on purpose! Mush less an actual car. I started threads on multiple forums trying figure out what people saw in these cars. Some of them got quite heated and were shut down by moderators. Over time though, I started to see how much talent and effort it took to make these cruddy rides look authentic and believable. After trying (with limited success) weathering for the first time on a post-apoc vehicle I was hooked. Although I still find the rusted, poorly designed/built, death trap rat rods that I see at car shows occassionally, deplorable, the rest of the genre I have really come to really appreciate.

Thanks for the nice comments on my model. It was built entirely from the part box.

AMT '32 Ford coupe gave up its frame

I think the engine is from an AMT '56 Ford or a '57 T-Bird

Revell '37 Ford pick up cab/grill

AMT '36 Ford coupe gave its head lights and carbs/air cleaners

AMT '41 Ford woodie gave its dash board and back seat

AMT '29 Model A gave its rear trunk section

Lindberg L-700 gave up its wheels and tires.

Then alot of time watching the true masters of weathering and kit bashing (you know who you are...) and applying those techniques to my builds.

Thanks again-See Ya next time-

i sure wish that i could show some of my rat rods. but i dont got a digital camera any way or the cash for it so oh well. all though my 37 ford rat rod flat bed truck is coming to a close. and it will be finalelly done and put ond a shelf. i mite go buy my self a digi. camera maybe around cristmas i guess.

• 2 months later...