Model Cars Magazine Forum

RAT ROD FRIDAYS!!!!!

deathskull59

• 11 months later...

I think as a fad things have calmed down a bit in Rodentville since this thread first was started in 2011. On the other hand the Rat Rod style has definitely had a big influence on all things Rod and Kustom, especially in the Traditional sphere. Here at MCM several of the true masters of the form have either become less active or have moved on to other things.

For myself, I’m only just now taking on the challenges of Rust ‘n’ Crust and general Ratness. Over the past year I’ve done an increasingly worn looking series of projects, culminating with my current build, a desperate thrash to get a car done in time for the Rat Rod theme table at this year’s ,NNL Wesyt on March 12th. Here’s where I’m at with a couple of weeks to go:

In order to learn the Way Of Rust I recently did this Barn Find ’41 Plymouth Gasser:

Also I think the rat rod genre has evolved some. The overdone rust and general shoddy workmanship trend that seemed to pop up everywhere a few years ago, seems to be going away. Patina and bare metal finishes have become more and more popular. I would say my last two are borderline rat rods.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some finished pics of the Rat Rod I just completed for the Rat Rod theme table at this years NNL West next weekend:

DSCF4557-web_zpsk3f7bnh8.jpg

DSCF4581-web_zps2evfs1q8.jpg

DSCF4568-web_zpsvafcr1a5.jpg

DSCF4575-web_zpswgzdkhgo.jpg

Also, here's a suede '49 Ford that might be appropriate, done in the middle of last year:

DSCF3890-web_zpsnshk81cd.jpg

DSCF3908-web_zpsftuwe3yb.jpg

DSCF3902-web_zpsipibssd8.jpg

And lastly, a Deuce 5-window highboy in red primer from this past December:

DSCF4312-web_zpsvldrkrqp.jpg

DSCF4350-web_zpssqgh4lbj.jpg

DSCF4338-web_zps8zcxnplj.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 3 weeks later...

Built a couple of years ago...my first attempt at a rat rod type vehicle. Was a lot harder to build than I expected, and has given me a whole new level of respect for you folks who build them on a regular basis.

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...