Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Type of Modeler are you??

Mostly a box-stock type of build. No wires or plumbing etc, don't have the patience or dexterity since my stroke in 1998. Love to paint and do

the nice finishes though. Thats the fun part to me. Don't like doing glass or some chrome bumpers or installing chassis. Guess that doesn't

leave to much of the model eh?......

1not Stock at all have to change something on any model that falls into my hands.Kurtis Midget close to stock.

2muti media yep what ever works.

3my COE is half scratch built and half kit bash

I can scratch build a whole model just not right now (i have stream liner in the works) rim's and tires don't count. imo

drawing it on paper first then building from scratch. that's the way i have done in the past.

4kit bashing Yeppers buddy . Just throw kits in box and shake and bake see what comes out.

5 custom builder to my own wants.

How much of the model has to be scratchbuilt to qualify for #3 vs #2, 50%, 75%, 100%?

Depending on the answer I hit 3 or 4 or 4 of 4 based on subject and mood. I build a lot of vehicles with scratchbuilt bodies and kit cabs.

Everything behind the cab was scratchbuilt.

Hazmat.jpg

Windsheild back was scratchbuilt except for the wheels which are resin

class500.jpg

Most of the equipment in the bed was scratchbuilt, wheels and emergency lighting are resin.

USFS60chev2.jpg

I'm mainly in class TWO, but I think, I'm getting closer to class THREE. I sometimes built a boxstock, but I like to add wiring and plumbing, and of course make parts myself, and kitbash some parts from other kits, but I'm not a kitbasher either.

The examples. CLASS TWO:

P2270899.jpg

P2270903.jpg

And CLASS THREE:

Don't know, if it needs to be ready, but I think, these WIP projects is the best example for this section.

PC020299.jpg

PC020300.jpg

AND the other one:

P5310005.jpg

P5310007.jpg

Pro Street Impala needs still new Tunnel Ram manifold, that one is a test piece.

Yes - All 4

Type 1- I love OOB because it is a pure test of modelings basic skills. Put a model on the table in this class and you are testing your basic building ability head to head with others. Great for improving the basics. You need that from time to time.

BMWZ3.jpg

Type 2 - Oh, heck yea. I will buy just about anything and throw it into a kit if I think it will improve it. Now this also challenges the skills because add-ons shouldn't look like add-ons. They should look like they belong there, wether it is photoetched, turned aluminum, or resin. Multimedia is using all of the resources available.

cockpitfromleft.jpg

Type 3 - This one is a tough one. If you mean have I built a model from the ground up. No. I really don't want to take the time to do that. Do you mean, do I make things from raw materials to enhance the build. Yes, quite often. Under the front bonnet the fuel pumps and fittings were all scratch built from raw aluminum as were the fire bottles,the manifold for the oil tank and all the fittings for the battery.

front21.jpg

Type 4 - Oh yes,kit bashing. Combining bits from various kits to come up with something totally different. This was a Revell Monogram Dodge Ram Pickup and Tamiya Ferrari Testa Rossa combined into something entirely different.

ramarossa1.jpg

So, you tell me. What kind of modeler am I? :)

Class #1: Rarely. Once in a blue moon I have to build a box stock to keep from getting burnt out...

001-3.jpg

Class 2: Often. I like to add wiring and scratchbuild small stuff and partial bodies that no one has available to buy...

IMG_1301.jpg

269116-R1-00-24A.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

Class 3: Not yet, But I've thought about building something from nothing several times...

Class 4: This is where I fit 99% of the time. I have tons of excess parts because I keep doing the miniature Midnight Auto thing...

029.jpg

032.jpg

Edited by Custom Hearse

I frequent classes 1,2 and 4. As far as class 3, I'm in total agreement with Aftashox that not many builders really qualify despite seeing a lot of claims of models being scratch built. Sure, I make some parts from scratch sometimes and I'm not afraid to tackle really SERIOUS modifications but Gerald Wingrove or Juha Ario and some others are real scratchbuilders and I'm not! I'm more of a part stealer and hacker. :lol: