Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto World Model Car Catalogs

I don't know if this is the right place to post this (Please move it if another place is more appropriate), but I recently scanned in pages from my old Auto World catalogs. For those who remember the pre-internet days, this was one of the few places to get kits and supplies besides what the local hobby shop carried.

It was like the Sears Christmas catalog for modelers. I know I spent a lot of $$$ back in the day. Check out some of the prices!!! I'll buy two of everything!!!

I only scanned in the model sections, I can do the slot car, die cast, supply and other stuff if anyone's interested.

http://public.fotki.com/nitram22/auto_raci...ing-catalogs-a/

1968 Catalog:

AW1968mc01-vi.jpg

Hmmm, I've got that one also, in about the same condition as well! That was the first one I bought. Oh yes, it was a gold mine for us hardcore modelers/slotracers over here. Some of the stuff was unheard of for us. I also have a few older issues, given to me by an older model building friend.

>I actually did a running total of all the items in the catalog!.

i wonder why you werent out surfing in the california sun!

ive got a few old catalogues from the early or mid 60s if i remember right. if i had a scanner i would dig them out but i dont im afraid!

• 15 years later...
On 4/16/2007 at 9:09 AM, nitram22 said:

...For those who remember the pre-internet days, this was one of the few places to get kits and supplies besides what the local hobby shop carried.

It was like the Sears Christmas catalog for modelers. I know I spent a lot of $$$ back in the day. 

http://images22.fotki.com/v761/photos/4/473017/4761485/AW1968mc01-vi.jpg

nitram22,

I can't tell if you're still around,  but, I hope you are, and are doing well! I just had to stop in and THANK YOU!!! ...for scanning and posting these Great Memories!!!

Minutes ago I was thinking about these catalogs, that I use to cherish, the AW company, and "what could be", had they "survived the transition into the modern age", fully intact? I can only imagine the vast array of kits and parts they might currently carry, had they made it?

Kids today have No Clue what we had to do in order to get things! Even the "later days" of dial-up internet access, after prior decades of "manual letter writing for catalogs", and so much more... Granted, things aren't perfect in this modern age but, getting models and a substantial number of aftermarket parts,  has never been easier, if one can afford them!

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Kids today have No Clue what we had to do in order to get things! Even the "later days" of dial-up internet access, after prior decades of "manual letter writing for catalogs", and so much more... Granted, things aren't perfect in this modern age but, getting models and a substantial number of aftermarket parts,  has never been easier, if one can afford them!

^^^understated facts!!!^^^

I have seen both sides..."in color"!

• Like 1

Ha, I'd forgotten about the "Haulin Hearse". My friend built one, crazy. I'd like to see all the Parts pages that were available back then. Seems I remember there was more pages of parts and decals than there were car kits. I know where there's a complete Ford Mark IV and Trailer kit right now for $70 that was only $3 back then, sheesh!

13 hours ago, Oldriginal86 said:

My family and I when I was about 10 or 11 years old went to Scranton Pa to visit the Auto World headquarters. It was a small store in an old gas station. They did put out a great catalog though.

What year was this cause the Auto world I remember on Keyser ave. Scranton was pretty big with a slot car track and all till like 1990 !

I remember the real Auto world store there catalogs and store it was my favorite place !!!

Edited by milo1303s

13 hours ago, milo1303s said:

What year was this cause the Auto world I remember on Keyser ave. Scranton was pretty big with a slot car track and all till like 1990 !

I remember the real Auto world store there catalogs and store it was my favorite place !!!

Would have been ‘70 or ‘71.

On 2/15/2023 at 6:12 PM, Raoul Ross said:

Ha, I'd forgotten about the "Haulin Hearse". My friend built one, crazy. I'd like to see all the Parts pages that were available back then. Seems I remember there was more pages of parts and decals than there were car kits. I know where there's a complete Ford Mark IV and Trailer kit right now for $70 that was only $3 back then, sheesh!

If one was to ever show up (a Haulin Hearse), it would have to bring in well over $100 at a minimum! I don't remember which version of the Hearse it was, much less where it vanished to, but I'd once built a hot rod Hearse complete with a molded in Mowtown Misslie hood scoop, blown "w/2-fours" BBC engine, covered in black metallic paint. I badly wish I still had it, along with a Haulin Hearse stable mate to display beside it!

That said, I've splurged ($$$) on a couple of Hearse kits (Heavenly & a Gold Cup Series) to modify/build, if I live long enough! In wanting to shorten & chop one, it's going to be incredibly difficult (while trying to not ruin the "vinyl top texture" in the process) due to how the body tapers in, as it goes up. It'll be extremely challenging but the only "simple way" I can see doing this is to cut the roof off at the top of the fenders/doors, then add a "shelf" along each side (inward along each fender top) for it to sit on (after shortening the roof around the bottom edges where it was cut off)...? Whatever is necessary, it's going to fully test my skills and patience! The only other option I see is to cut the car right down the center (minus the roof section), front to back, then narrow it as needed, to where the lower portion of the chopped roof would land where it originally was?

Edit: In contemplating how much to shorten and chop the Hearse kit, I scanned an image from the box side, printed it, cut it up into a few pieces, then taped it together (close to how I want it to turn out) as a guide to follow. I feel I need to add some taper, higher in the rear, lower roof-line at the front, once I actually start cutting on things.

1011018676_Chopped_Short0002.jpg.b88d1981bf9cda8791870098452185f1.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf

I can remember getting one of the Auto World Catalogues way back in the 70's.

Apart from the glossy covers the rest was printed on newsprint paper, but they were like an encyclopaedia of model kits, accessories and even included a number of building tips back in the day.

The copy I had ran a page that started   'Who's Rich Morgan? Who cares? You might!'    Just one of those little captions that stayed in my mind all these years.    Never did find out who Rich Morgan was though!

I would imagine that Auto World has long gone along with Sinclairs Auto Miniatures who used to put out a nicely printed quarterly magazine.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 9:29 AM, Brian Austin said:

Might be easier to start with a coupe or convertible.

If (ANY) 1960's Cadillac model kits were plentiful, and reasonably priced, this may be true. Johan kits are Insanely Expensive, if you can even find them. The last known 66 Cadillac coupe kits, by Hasegawa (which are "curbside", no engine, no opening hood) were discontinued a while back, but I managed to snag one from an overseas source a few weeks ago. It's going to be made into a BBC powered "Street Machine" or "Pro Street Machine" once I get started on it...