Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford Fairlane

sak

I am going to consider this finished. Amt did not include side mirrors or shock towers so when I come across something, I will add them, but not sure how long that will take. I tried to make the best of this terrible model kit.

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

Really nice looking Fairlane. I like the color and the wheel "caps". Yes, that's an older kit and when we get used to state of the art stuff, they tend to be a little crude. What is up with kits not having side mirrors?

The "Caution-Fan" decal is upside down - you would have to be sitting in the engine bay to read it correctly.

Thanks for posting!

I've got this kit but haven't built it yet. Would you mind elaborating on what makes it so terrible?

You and James (JTRACING) started your Fairlane kits at about the same time, and both of you had some very nice engine bay detailing going on. I was hoping to see his done soon too, but he seems to have disappeared.

As several others have said, if you can take a bad model and make it look this good, you have every right to be proud.

Great build. Paintjob looks very good, and I like that engine detailing alot. Wheels and tires are very realistic. Good pictures also. That last shot is my favorite, register plate looks good and grille is just like real one.

I've got this kit but haven't built it yet. Would you mind elaborating on what makes it so terrible?

You and James (JTRACING) started your Fairlane kits at about the same time, and both of you had some very nice engine bay detailing going on. I was hoping to see his done soon too, but he seems to have disappeared.

As several others have said, if you can take a bad model and make it look this good, you have every right to be proud.

Thank you all for the kind words. And for letting me know about the caution sticker. Big time goof but its there to stay. Have to remeber that for next time. What makes the kit not good? I noticed that the engine sits far too low.

IMG_1253.jpg

So I added some plastic peices to the frame to prop it up. But that changes the angle to the tramsmission and it would not fit so I had to carve large parts of top to make it fit. Second thing is I hate when the interior panels dont line up with the exterior. To get it too line up, I had to grind alot off the top of the interior parts and the bottom of body shell to get the top of the door panels to reach the top of the doors. I also had to position the frame a little more forward so that the arches of the body lined to the arches in the interior. The parcel tray is actually glued to the rear window and not the body shell like it should be. I find this to be a problem with model kits that use a rear seat as a seperate piece.The lower radiator hose and the water pump is one piece so If you want a lower radiator hose, you will need to cut it off and make another because you will not be able to get the motor in if you do. It bottoms out on a piece of the frame. And they added two sets of badges, for a GT and GTA which is good but they did not even add ONE set of mirrors! Oh one more thing. the front strut rods and sway bars are formed into a big block of plastic. I thought this looked stupid so I carved the whole thing and made now strut rods and outer sway bars. Be nice it they made the assembly a serperate piece as a happy medium like the 1966 nova. If these sort of things dont bother you, I recommend it, it is a good model kit. Nice details and most of the things fit nicely. Like the fact that you have an option of two different forms of transmission.

Edited by sak

I wouldn't go as far far as to call it a terrible kit, but I can tell you what its criticisms are. Foremost is the windshield height. It's between one and two scale inches too short. The backlight has the same issue, along with being too squarish. The rear quarters are a few scale inches too short as well. Another issue is the A piller trim. Nearly all Ford Hardtops had the chrome trim that covered the entire post (see photo). For some reason, AMT/Ertl engraved it to have a body color break in the trim. The sad part of this that the original annual kit was quite a bit more accurate, and this kit is supposed to be "State of the Art" circa 1991.

P7250041rt-vi.jpg

http://public.fotki....falcon_fairlan/

Edited by Dave Darby

It is what it is. Not really too concerned too much if its not entirely acurate as long as it goes together nicely. I knew about that chrome but did not add it because I thought it looked better without. It just doesnt seem right. If Ford added some kind of trim to the rear pillar as well, or if it was a bubbletop design, It would look more appealing to me.I sure could have used those photos while I was building mine. That picture will come in handy as I might have to build my own.

Edited by sak