Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mild Kustom AMT '56 T-Bird

Dave Darby

Finally finished this one, after 41 days on the workbench.

IMG 9667rtrt

Paint is Testors One Coat White Lightning Pearl.

IMG_9667rtrt-vi.jpgIMG 9642rt

Lucas "Flame Thrower" headlights from the AMT 55 Nomad kit. Custom Lenses from the 53 Studebaker kit.

IMG 9664rt 1

Scratchbuilt steering column and turn signal lever. Shifter made from a straight pin. Bucket seats from the AMT 53 Corvette.

IMG 9657rt

Vertex magneto from the 57 chevy kit, Plug wires have correct firing order. Scratch built fuel log and gas line.

IMG 9624rt 1

License plate made in Photoshop that says "Cristi" - my wife's name. And yes, she is quite pleased with her belated Christmas present.

IMG 9673rt

Off the bench and on the shelf!IMG_9677rt_1-vi.jpg

Since I'm in here, a few new bonus photos...

20170427 164133

20170302 185718rt

20170302 192840rt 1

Here is a link to the build process...

http://www.modelcars...o=new_post&f=18

Edited by Dave Darby
Broken image links

there is only one small detail I would change... it's location. This is a beautiful model. I love the engine, and the subtle re-styling. too often people go too far and lose the essence that makes the original car so cool. Your mods took the original styling one step further and made it your own. Bravo!

Thanks for all the great comments, guys. This is the first all new model I've done in quite a few years. It was a labor of love, and Cristi and I had fun exploring all the options as we were 'designing' it. Cristi wanted it pearl white, with a red interior, and she wanted a custom grille. In many ways, this build actually brought us closer together, and she got to see firsthand what it takes for us guys to do something like this.

IMG_9698rtrt-vi.jpg