Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Building an Aussie Ford Falcon **New update,15/1/18**

ShawnS

Cool. Thanks for that. I've posted this build on two other forums and I have seen it on three more forums where others had posted parts of it but that is the first non-model site that I have seen it on. Has anybody seen it or posted it anywhere else? I don't mind if it gets around just as long as my name is used as the builder.

you're welcome,

Your work deserves to be shared!

keep up the great work!

Nicolas

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.The ozautobuilders forum has lots more pics of this build but if you want to see them you'll have to sign up and join us. If you're an Aussie, there's no excuse for not joining us. ;) Non Aussies are also welcome. :)

I am progressing nicely with the engine bay but it will be a while before I can give you some pics so here is some work that I did on the wheels earlier. I originally intended to make this model as a curbside with basic wheel backs but as I started to make more and more details I realised that I needed hollow wheels to house the brakes in, this is how I did it.

I found the right sized wheel in my spares box and used my Dremel to grind out the centre, I then cut a section the width that i required off of the wheel

p1040274r.jpg

p1040276h.jpg

I then used a circle cutter to cut some discs the same diameter of the wheel, I drilled a hole in the centre and inserted a length of rod.

p1040277l.jpg

Here are the wheel components.

p1040278y.jpg

Once it's all together you can see the difference between the typical wheel back style and the hollow pin style that allow detailed brakes to be fitted.

p1040178n.jpg

There you go, a basic How-To on turning wheel back style wheels to the pin type that manufacturers like Tamiya use.

Thanks again for looking and for the nice comments that you have been handing out.

Hopefully next time it will be the engine bay.

Cheers

ShawnS

Once again Shawn, always appreciate your updates and look forward to the progress ;)

Quick question, are you building anything else to have a break from this one so that you don't get bogged down too much with the details :D !?

You know, something on the side :lol: !!

Once again Shawn, always appreciate your updates and look forward to the progress ;)

Quick question, are you building anything else to have a break from this one so that you don't get bogged down too much with the details :D !?

You know, something on the side :lol: !!

Nah mate. I'm resisting the urge to fiddle around with other models. I reckon it's well over the half way point in the project and my mind is focused on the light at the end of the styrene tunnel so I keep telling myself to not waste valuable build time on those other 20+ half started models. :)

cheers

ShawnS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. This little build still occupies a bit of my time so I figure you should see how I'm progressing. My main focus over the last couple of weeks has been the sides of the engine bay. Starting with the usual evergreen sheet cut to shape with bits added to it along the way.

p1040400y.jpg

p1040408e.jpg

p1040413h.jpg

p1040426h.jpg

Shock towers

p1040412d.jpg

p1040427e.jpg

The finished product

p1040430ew.jpg

p1040438o.jpg

p1040437na.jpg

p1040434l.jpg

The sides still need extra details added to it like the vertical strengtheners and boltheads etc as well as further work on the fronts. The sides will be mated to the firewall at a later date and joined together at the front also.

Still plenty to keep me busy over the next few months.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

ShawnS

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again guys. This little job is still ticking along nicely and now I have some more to show you.

I had to scratch build the brake master cylinder/booster/reservoir setup.

p1040532.jpg

I found a battery in the spares box and made a tray and mounting frame to suit it.

p1040447n.jpg

I made the overflow and washer bottle too.

p1040539y.jpg

The firewall is all evergreen.

p1040525f.jpg

The wheel well now has a spring cover.

p1040523m.jpg

The shock tower now has a vertical strengthening bar and some extra stryrene on the front.

p1040520z.jpg

I made some shock mounts for the top of the towers and test fitted the lot.

p1040504t.jpg

p1040507c.jpg

p1040513k.jpg

p1040512c.jpg

I slotted the engine in place to check for any interference. I am a little concerned about how and where the alternator sits so I will have to work on that.

That's all for this update. Still plenty more to come in the future.

Cheers

ShawnS