Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why no 1968 Camaro kits?

AMT had a later release that was a street machine with Cragars,two fours through the hood and sidepipes.It's blue with stripes and three or four stars on the sides. I have the kit,but can't remember if it came with a stock hood or not. I'm pretty sure it didn't come with the SS hood. It's been a while since I looked at it. I can check it later and let you know.

Gee, wasn't it just yesterday when everyone was a crying for a 67 Camaro? Finially, A M T did a so so rehash of the 68 they had . I wish they had also re-poped the Hide away headlight grille as they had back in 1967-8, but I guess theres a few casters out there ......... Ed Shaver

AMT had a later release that was a street machine with Cragars,two fours through the hood and sidepipes.It's blue with stripes and three or four stars on the sides. I have the kit,but can't remember if it came with a stock hood or not. I'm pretty sure it didn't come with the SS hood. It's been a while since I looked at it. I can check it later and let you know.

I think that one was 'street machine' stye only- no stock parts, only the street machine parts. I could be wrong, but I'm about 90% positive that one could not be built stock. Filling in the hole in the hood wouldn't be a big deal, though, and you might be able to rob the stock exhaust from an MPC '69 Convertible or a '69 Firebird.

This is the kit you want, but it includes a small block, the standard (non-louvered SS) hood, and the Sport Coupe level grille and tail lights:

AMT_PK4173__68_Camaro_Z28.jpg

The hood from the MPC '69 Camaro SS can be made to work:

1014.JPG

Time Machine resin offered the standard '68 grille when the '67 kit came out, so perhaps they may offer other parts? You may want to check out www.modelhaus.com , too, as thy may have some SS-speciifc parts for the early AMT '68 Camaro kits/promos.

Edited by Casey

I think that one was 'street machine' stye only- no stock parts, only the street machine parts. I could be wrong, but I'm about 90% positive that one could not be built stock. Filling in the hole in the hood wouldn't be a big deal, though, and you might be able to rob the stock exhaust from an MPC '69 Convertible or a '69 Firebird.

I think you're right Chuck. IIRC, I was robbing the stock parts from a '67 to build it with and was working on an RS grille. I'm going to have to get it out and see exactly what I have and haven't got in it. I guess I need to get one of those crappy MPC kits for the hood too.

i have to agree there completely ;) those AMT '67-'68's are pretty crude. two i'd like to see from Revell are a new tool '67 or '68 Camaro and a new tool '69 Firebird.

At last years Southern NNL, Revell had a display, including a list where we could write down a suggestion or two for them......a new tool '67/'68 Camaro was one of the things I suggested. And since I've been building a model of a car my sister had using the old kit, they'll probably announce it as soon as I finish.