Model Cars Magazine Forum

how many 1970's comets/mavs would you buy if a new kit was issued

I`ve always really liked Mavericks and Comets, especially the V8 versions. We had a 1970 2 door Mav (not a Grabber) with a 302 when I was a kid. My Dad was always getting on the throttle with it.

3 days after Christmas my G/F came home with 2 built it yourself 1/24 die casts for me. A standard model 2 door Maverick and a Comet GT. They come completely disassembled and primed for paint. She found them at Londone Drugs in the discount bins for $5 each. It made my whole day.

Ones going to be a highly modded Corvette Killer and the other I will build stock in homage to a very cool, very under rated car.

If Revell tooled up an all new kit of a '70 Maverick 2-door, I would buy one. I would even buy a reissue of either/both the Johan 1/25 and/or the Revell 1/32 scale kit, if made available. The Johan version had a very nicely done promo style body, but I just don't see a lot of interest in a Maverick/Comet to make it profitable as a new kit.

5483885643_f5d5991c58.jpg

if it were a new tool along the lines of Revell's '68 Firebird or AMT's '67 Mustang, several! if it had multi-year building options; again; several! if it had accurate Pro Stock parts to depict era-correct racers, again, SEVERAL. just because JoHan made a ProStock version (and NO stock ones) is no reason to dismiss a new tool.... and this would give the kit manufacturers a chance to tool up a new, accurate SIX cylinder for us replica-stock Ford builders......

just because JoHan made a ProStock version (and NO stock ones) is no reason to dismiss a new tool....

No, but the fact that a new tool will set the company back hundreds of thousands of dollars for a car with a relatively small, niche market is.

I am no expert on the JoHan kits - I have two that are old projects - but mine both have stock parts and drag parts. I don't know what came in the kits originally, but...

Here is one built up (more thrown together, I guess) stock:

2b3f1515.jpg

and here is the box:

8c02cf84.jpg

I'm not really into them, but I'm into mainstreamers, and as long as the stock parts were included, I'd consider buying one.

With advancing tool engineering and science, it's costing less money to make new tools, which is why we're seeing more chances being taken, so while I would not pronounce this a sure thing, I wouldn't dismiss this as a possibility, either, and it will probably be from one of the smaller companies, like Moebius or Galaxie. I could also see the revitalizing AMT giving this a shot.

Charlie Larkin