Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Petty Torino

Scottnkat

This started out as the AMT Ford Torino Cobra. I tried out some things I had never done with this build, so I am kinda proud of it. I used styrene rod to make the rollcage and styrene sheet to make the floor, panels, etc. I had never done any scratchbuilding to speak of before, so this was all new to me. I also learned resin casting so I could duplicate some parts needed (such as the wheels and tires) and make new parts that were never included (such as the rear end cooler). This model definitely got me out of my comfort zone, but I am happy with how it turned out. One thing I did mess up on - I didn't measure where the gas cap would have been in relation to the EAST TENN - as a result, I had to move the decal down just a bit on the passenger side. Consider it "creative license". So, here's the completed Torino - I hope you enjoy it.

DSCN0841a.jpg

DSCN0842a.jpg

DSCN0843a.jpg

DSCN0846a.jpg

DSCN0848a.jpg

Thanks, Randy - I think it looks good sitting next to the Plymouth as well!

I appreciate the comment, Jacen! I really do!

Thank you, Brian! I made a few errors and learned quite a bit, but I am glad it came out looking as well as it did.

Scott? What can I say? Thanks, and you are not the only one! In fact, my family hails from Wilmington NC - we may well be related!!

Cole, I appreciate your taking the time to comment - thank you

Thanks everyone for all of your comments - I really do appreciate them! Not too bad for only my second NASCAR, right? :)

Edited by Scottnkat

Very nice Torino build! Great to see one Petty Ford, because usually when someone says Richard Petty, always there's Superbird first in mind. Great paintjob on this one and decals fit nicely to the body shapes. Thanks for sharing it, turned out really nice.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Regarding a Petty collection, I am planning on it. I have the Johan Superbird (which will be getting some parts swapped), the PL Charger, and two of the Grand Prixs. I also have a '65 Barracuda, '71 Satellite (with a '72 grill), '67 GTX, and '68 Roadrunner and even a Monte Carlo resin body for making some there aren't kits for. That's why I did this Torino - I wanted to learn how to do more scratchbuilding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...