Model Cars Magazine Forum

would love to see pics of "can painted" models

I keep planning to practice with one or two of the several airbrushes I have, but I always seem to fall back on rattlecans when it comes down to the wire ... here's a rattlecanned (if that's a word) model I completed a few months ago.

Warning: Long wheelbase streamline Top Fuel dragster / big image. B)

1st_Place_Super_Star_Liner_Dan_Baker-4.JPG

Here are a couple. Both are Odds and Ends Enamels. The red one was never rubbed out. I just heated the can in water. Laid down a fog coat. Waited 15 minutes then laid down a heavier color coat. Waited another 15 -20 minutes and laid down a slightly heavier color coat. Let it sit for a while before I even touched it.

SideLR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

willys8-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Deja-view do you have any more pictures of the viper you did

(null)

There are quite a few on my hosting site with the link below. Go to the "built models" album. If you need reference pics I might have some, but almost all of mine at the time I built it were from photos I took of several 1:1 Vipers I was able to find and photograph. Unforunately, they are not digital. I made my labels and printed decals from taking pics of the real ones, shrinking them on a printer until I got the size right, then applying them to the car. The suspension was a real problem because the diecast didn't have anything but fat plastic piecs and springs attached to globs of nothing. Here's a few from under:

079-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

081-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

082-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

083-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

089-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I don't have any milling capability, so unlike those builders who can fabricate precise components I use whatever I can find and work with. The disc brake rotors are steel washers, and the lug studs are 0090 bolts.

065-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The Mopar factory paint (in cans from the dealership) was very nice to work with. It laid well, polished well, and accepted the striping with no issues:

068-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I know it's considered "crude", but I left the screw holes open for future access. One of these days I'll make plugs for them. :P

073-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by deja-view

Here are a couple. Both are Odds and Ends Enamels. The red one was never rubbed out. I just heated the can in water. Laid down a fog coat. Waited 15 minutes then laid down a heavier color coat. Waited another 15 -20 minutes and laid down a slightly heavier color coat. Let it sit for a while before I even touched it.

SideLR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

willys8-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Scott- these two rods... incredible! Can you please ID both for me? The purple one looks like a '33 Willys grille?

Thanks John! I really appreciate the kind words.

They are a couple oldies. The top one started as the Revell 29 A delivery. it has Orange crate grill and doors that were cut down and smoothed out. It is still unfinished. I really want to finish it, but its in line behind a couple others.

The Purple one is a 33 Willtys Sedan that was shortened. Some of the body lines were moved around to clean it up.

I am really glad you liked them. I think you can link back the the album if you click on the pictures.

Scott

This is what I have been looking for thanks I will be sure to check out the build site. I am building a L700 Coe that will be chopped and with the rt/10 viper engine. I have started a thread here you can look up if you want

(null)

There are several more engine pics on the site. If you need them emailed let me know.

Thanks John! I really appreciate the kind words.

They are a couple oldies. The top one started as the Revell 29 A delivery. it has Orange crate grill and doors that were cut down and smoothed out. It is still unfinished. I really want to finish it, but its in line behind a couple others.

The Purple one is a 33 Willtys Sedan that was shortened. Some of the body lines were moved around to clean it up.

I am really glad you liked them. I think you can link back the the album if you click on the pictures.

Scott

Scott;

Those are beautiful. My daughter like the purple. :)

James2 & Scott Colmer: If you guys are gonna design & build models like these, ya'll could use squirt guns to paint 'em & it wouldn't mess 'em up!! VERY beautiful & imaginative work!

Scott: I'm getting close to taking you up on your aluminum tutorial.....especially after seeing these builds, lol!

How do you get that much blend and fade without losing the color below or getting lines?

I don't know if this is why,but I started/went from the bottom up. I had all three cans ready and waiting and applied all colors one right after the other with no drying time in between colors.

So far, all mine are rattle can as well. I have 4 air brushes and am just now preparing to shoot my first complete paint job. Up till now, I've only used them to paint parts.

This one was shot with rattle can Tamiya purple and racing white, followed with Tamiya clear. Didn't have to rub it out afterwards.

IMG_0696b.jpg?psid=1

32_Ford_2_RR.JPG?psid=1

Tamiya red/black with Tamiya clear, wet sanded and rubbed out.

IMG_4225b.jpg?psid=1

Model Masters maroon with Tamiya clear. no rubbing

IMG_2219c.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Alyn

GMCreadyforweb.jpg

This one was done using Testors paints. A coat of gold went down first. A center line was taped off, and then the upper section was taped off along with the the upper section. The lower section was sprayed flat black. The tape was removed from the upper section, and the whole cab was sprayed with Florida Roadstar Orange. The middle tape was removed, and a coat of clear was added.

wf-1.jpg

This one got some 2 tone Purple action.

72GTO-1.jpg

Another rattle can job, this one in Sapphire Blue Metallic.

I commend those that use air brushes, and they get some beautiful paint jobs. My problem is that air brushes and I never got along, especially after some wonderful person used mine and didn't clean it. I've used Testor's rattle cans for over 40 years, and they've always been fine for me.