Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Monogram Parts Restored ?

To address the original post: I would like to see any and all of the reissues of vintage kits, from any and all of the manufacturers, fully restored to their original versions; parts-wise, box-wise, etc. I have thoughts and ideas of alternative molds, but I realize that $$$ rules, and my ideas might not be financially feasible.

And:

Why would anyone leave the forum due to a heated discussion or two? No one is forcing anyone to read any of the posts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether you or I agree with them or not. Some people probably won't agree with this post- that's their prerogative, and that's life. If you don't like what you see, there are plenty of other threads to read and follow. It's easy to avoid the drama. Just like watching TV- if you don't like the show, change the channel.

To address the original post: I would like to see any and all of the reissues of vintage kits, from any and all of the manufacturers, fully restored to their original versions; parts-wise, box-wise, etc. I have thoughts and ideas of alternative molds, but I realize that $$$ rules, and my ideas might not be financially feasible.

And:

Why would anyone leave the forum due to a heated discussion or two? No one is forcing anyone to read any of the posts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether you or I agree with them or not. Some people probably won't agree with this post- that's their prerogative, and that's life. If you don't like what you see, there are plenty of other threads to read and follow. It's easy to avoid the drama. Just like watching TV- if you don't like the show, change the channel.

Here, here! Give the man a HARRUMPH . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY :lol::D:o

• 1 month later...

Is there any chance of this being reissued?

Monogram%20PC72-198%201934%20Ford.JPG

In the exact form it was then?

I had one in the early 1970s and the prices I have seen for originals are well beyond my budget.

Cheers

steve

Highly, highly doubtful. In the 70's the tooling was modified and the Coupe / Cabriolet were sold as separate kits in Monogram's Early Iron Series. They were very typical of 70's street rods. Then, in the early 80's the tooling was butchered even further to release the horribly inaccurate ZZ Top '33 Coupe kit. On the outside the car looked more or less correct but the chassis and engine were a fail. Finally, in the early 90's the tooling was altered even further when they released a modernized version of the Cabriolet (with extreme chopped top and re-worked chassis) in a series based on automotive artist Thom Taylor's suggestions.

Thanks, Greg. I had the Boss A bone when it was new, but the Blue Beetle was a bit before I developed this habit. I see the mfg date stamp of 1964 but some of the chrome trees show a more modern tooling in areas like the part attachment points. And did the original BB have engine and wheel options. I'm remembering the BAB as a 1 version only kit

Edited by samdiego

• 2 years later...

So the Boss A Bone was a Danielized retool of the Blue Beetle? I just got a BB and am liking it a lot so far. The wheels and tires are great, how much of this kit is new? The decal sheet is really nice, too.

Yes, more or less. The Boss A Bone kit included some specific parts which were unique to that kit, and as far as I have found, never used in any subsequent kits...I think. Look at the chrome plated parts from the BAB:

bossabone.jpg

The American Torq-Thrust style wheels have a flat rear face, with no axle mounting stud, making them very similar to (but I don't think quite the same as) those found in the Monogram Rat Vega kit:

65c04ecd3f3c9c20dfef644d3825ea32.jpg

At least the Blue Bandito now includes the chrome plated roll bar hoop which was last seen in the Boss A Bone kit. Maybe I shouldn't assume the recreated hoop is the same as the original, though?

Edited by Casey

• 2 weeks later...