Model Cars Magazine Forum

Galaxie Limited's '48 Chevy Coupe

I must get these kits when they come out again. I did own a copy of the older release for about 20 minutes ones. Bought it from a guy in our modellingclub at a meeting and then sold it to another guy a less than half an hour later for the same money. Easy come, easy go I guess...

Hey Jarius! Does it come with the woody option or is it just decals or did they drop it ? :huh:

Not Jarius, but since I did the artwork for the decals I can give you the answer. There are two sets of decals, different shades of wood, that are to be applied to the body. Then there is a molded overlay with wood grain detail that is attached over the decal.

Looks just like the box art Jarius has posted.

Oh, and I probably shouldn't be posting this.
But, test shot coupe bodies (more than one I am told) were delivered by special courier to Jimmy Flintstone. So we can expect chopped tops and convertible resin options very soon. Because his master makers are the best in the business!

Wow...

I'm buying a fastback. That wood option looks great. Mike- very nice job with yours. I remember seeing that in at least one of the magazines when it was out.

Jairus- I can understand a little displeasure about some of the remarks made by the GM rep about the young lady on the swimsuit (I mean, really, hasn't she ever seen a '40s two-piece??) but the revised art, at least in my opinion, is 1000x better, and is much more befitting of the rest of your stellar work.

And that coupe....I can see a very nice matron's car coming out of that in black or dark green. I'm really looking forward to this one coming out.

Now, the million dollar question- will Gary include the cute girl on the box-art?? :)

Charlie Larkin

Some "female" in the Chevrolet camp wouldn't sign off on the deal until I changed the 50's bathing suit into something she felt looked less like "underwear". (Her words not mine)

Does the kit come with the girl? I am talking about 1:1 scale :D

Im going to have to get one of these two when they come out, I bought the Aerosedan and the sedan delivery when they were first released, they are fantastic looking kits....but like a fool I sold both ! and Ive never seen them this side of the pond since !.

Hey guys,

Aren't these body styles similar to the Oldsmobile and Pontiac?

I went to Google and it seems those could also be done with some modification?

Just a thought.

They had longer wheelbases. Series 66 Olds had 119" while a chevy was 3" shorter. The extra length was in the front part. I do not know how to extend the sloped nose to make an Oldsmobile, besides scratchbuilding the grill. This can be perhaps taken from a Revell '48 Ford.

Edited by khier

is the "release date" and "in your local store" mutually exclusive?

if it's released from the Manufacturer, can't it be purchased from a dealer not dependent on so-cal ports of call? maybe a European or far East dealer? or does it have to touch ground in the USA first - because it's Chevrolet?

I'm glad the wood trim is separate. It would be a royal pain to remove if a person didn't want it. I don't know how well gluing the trim to the decal will work. I would glue the trim to the body before primer and paint, then cut the decals to fit inside.

I don't know how well gluing the trim to the decal will work. I would glue the trim to the body before primer and paint, then cut the decals to fit inside.

I was wondering how that will work, too. Maybe add some locating/mounting pins once you commit to adding the wood trim?

I'm glad the wood trim is separate. It would be a royal pain to remove if a person didn't want it. I don't know how well gluing the trim to the decal will work. I would glue the trim to the body before primer and paint, then cut the decals to fit inside.

There already is a positive locating system engineered into the parts that the decals also work with for proper registration.

While you are welcome to build yours however you'd like, maybe you should wait to see the actual parts before dismissing the way it is designed or suggesting a process that would work poorly compared to the way it is already engineered.

Olds and Pontiac both offered straight 8 engines and Chevy did not, so Chevy could make their cars a little bit shorter.

I'm gonna stick an Olds grill from the Revell 48 Ford Custom on one of these anyway, even if it's wrong. :P

Thanks Nitro Neil for the lead on the Olds grille. I'd like to replicate this one, that I owned in the past. Not sure where to start. That Chevy body may be a start.

1947OldsmobileL-7898-02.jpg