Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aussie Can-Am contender, Matich SR3

Dave B

Frank Matich took his Repco V8 powered Matich SR3 to the States to try his luck against the 'big boys'. It handled well but unfortunately was underpowered. His plan to return the following year with the new SR4 powered by a 5L Repco 740 quad cam V8 was thwarted when the car wasn't completed in time. The following year the Repco power plant was not legal in the States. Needless to say he cleaned up 'down under' with both cars, Chris Amon/Bill Brown offering a little competition with the recently acquired Scuderia Veloce Ferrari 350 CanAm (complete with headlights and spare tyre hung on the rear!!) and the local Elfins, etc.

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

More pics to follow

Dave B

Edited by Bantoft

Very well done Dave. It's always good to see a Classic CanAm build. Wondering, which engine were they going to use in 1969 that was outlawed in the CanAm? I'm not aware of any limitation on engines then. Heck in '70 there was a Car with 4 2 cycle Snowmobile engines in it and it was Legal - Never compeated but it was legal!

Tks for the comments guys, appreciated. I backcast the body of a 'scale' Lancer vacform slotcar body that was issued back in the late 60,s-70's. I then lengthened it in front of the rear wheels to correct the wheelbase. The wheels are based on the Indy Lotus car but I modifiied them. The whole car is a combination of bits I either modified and moulded & cast or scratchbuilt. The interior is aluminium sheet & styrene. It's only a curbside, not that keen to scratchbuild the Repco & complete rear end!!

I pulled a couple of more bodies out of the mould for myself (to build myself the Buick V8 original version) & a mate over here but it is now split, it was only a slush mould anyway not a two piece.

As for the colour I'm sorry but it is home mixed, a similar colour would be Zircon Green, used on the '68 XT Falcon's over here.

It's 1/24 scale

Hope this has answered everyone's comments

Tks Ed, I'll have to look up why it wasn't sent the following year, I thought it was going to be illegal but could be wrong. I was aware that it was a 'anything goes' series so should have checked first. Have heaps of info I need to go through, will send you a PM.

Tks guys

Dave b

Edited by Bantoft