Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Dart

Mopar - D

Beautiful build!

And, please take the following comments as purely constructive ... that's how they are offered.

A new car on the transporter would be bare-wheeled with the hubcaps in the trunk.

A 440 would have backup lights. I can't tell clearly from your pix, but it looks like you chromed the backup lights (the rounds above & inboard from the taillights). They would look more whitish-clear. As I say, I can't tell well on my computer monitor if you did that, so forgive the comment ... but a LOT of builders of '62 Darts leave the backup lights chrome as if they were trim embellishments.

Darts in '62 had whitish-clear parking light lenses (under the grille), not amber. They came from the factory with clear bulbs, but many owners replaced the OEM bulbs with amber tinted bulbs when the amber-turn-signal trend came into full bloom in '63.

Finally, an item most '62 Dart builders miss: The inner rings of the headlamp bezels were white. Very predominately white. The outer surfaces were chrome, but there were inner rings/inserts that were white. See the pic below.

And I agree with Harry . . . the untreated license plate engravings make your model less realistic in appearance. The 1:1 had no engraving, just flat metal brackets in the rear and mounting holes in the front.

Having said all that ~ for edification, not criticism ~ it's your model and a beauty at that. Detail it as you wish, and as a former owner of a '62 Dart, I love to see them!

nett62f.jpg

B)

Classified, thanks for the pointers the back lights I for got to put some paint on them with all the BMF I missed going back to them I will touch them up on the head lights I saw the white on a couple of the pictures but was not sure if that was factory of weathered. I will make a attempt to fit that too and the front blinkers were in the same category I will use you information to correct it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with license plates as what I do it will affect all 5 cars.

Thanks for you comments.

Dan

Classified, thanks for the pointers the back lights I for got to put some paint on them with all the BMF I missed going back to them I will touch them up on the head lights I saw the white on a couple of the pictures but was not sure if that was factory of weathered. I will make a attempt to fit that too and the front blinkers were in the same category I will use you information to correct it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with license plates as what I do it will affect all 5 cars.

Thanks for you comments.

Dan

Glad to help!

Here's another view of the headlamp trim ring (white) & bezel (chrome) on a red car ~ for contrast. The white trim rings were only on the outer headlamps which held the two filament lamps for high & low beam. The inner headlamps (in the grille) were high beam only.

Every '62 Dart manufactured was equipped with these white trim rings ... some kind of styling statement, I guess ... regardless of the color of the car.

main_image.jpg

B)

Your '62 Dart looks great! Where can I find more about your car carrier and it's load of 1962 Dodges? I'm planning the same thing with 1966 Chevys, and possibly another with 1969's too.

I enjoy rebuilding Corvair annual "Glue Bombs", and I almost always leave the license plates with the molded-in year to point up the fact that they are indeed annuals and not reissues. I just finish them like a normal license plate, with a background color that compliments the model and the numbers and the raised outline in a contrasting color (since I live in Pennsylvania, I sometimes use the colors that PA used on that year's plates). I have put regular license plates on a few of my restorations that were built as replicas of Corvairs I used to own - Those models get computer-generated replicas of the plates the 1:1 cars carried.

Great model. i'm Jealous... Back in May I visited my friend Tom Valenta in NC and we went to a model show in Simpsonville. At the show a vendor had a Johan '62 Dart for sale for ONLY $45. Well, I had just spent a truckload of $$$ at the NNL East and hemmed and hawed about picking ujp the Dart. I opened the box (OK'd by the vendor) and was kind of turned off by the turquoise plastic. I walked around the vendor tables about 5 times and finally went back to get the Dart, but it was gone...!!! I'm sure I'll NEVER run across another one for sale that cheap... Oh well... I learned my lesson. I should have bought it.