Model Cars Magazine Forum

retro and rat rods, just dont get it.......

Regardless of how you feel one way or the other, you'd have to admit that this one looks pretty cool. I thought of you, Mr. Most, when I saw this one:

542459_10151071892388930_1190550628_n.jpg

I know, it's not an all out rat, and some might say this is more of a hot rod, but the principles behind most rat rods (the chopping, the by-the-seat-of-your-pants-and-budget engineering, etc) is what fuels my imagination when I see something like this.

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Regardless of how you feel one way or the other, you'd have to admit that this one looks pretty cool. I thought of you, Mr. Most, when I saw this one:

542459_10151071892388930_1190550628_n.jpg

I know, it's not an all out rat, and some might say this is more of a hot rod, but the principles behind most rat rods (the chopping, the by-the-seat-of-your-pants-and-budget engineering, etc) is what fuels my imagination when I see something like this.

Now that's different and cool, plus I don't need a tetnus shot to look at it!

• 4 weeks later...

I am also a car nut and I think the whole "rat rodding" thing is an insult to hot rodding community... I will never understand the point in spending a ton of money to make your car look like you have no put in any money into it at all... Then again everyone has a right to their own opinion and to liking certain things so I can't really knock on the style, I just do not understand it.

Generally the rat rods I've seen have very little money put into them (except maybe the engine), it seems that they either find free parts or get parts for cheap. (That's not saying that they are generally poorly built however)

I could say the same thing about not understanding towards the guys who put tens of thousands of dollars into a shiny billeted street queen that looks the same as every other billeted street queen, save for maybe the color.

Edit: Here's a rat rod that I've seen at a recent show. It may look ratty and undriveable, but in the bed is the real engineering.

Image0037.jpg

Image0038.jpg

Edited by Jordan White

Rat Rod is a style typically based on extreme visuals. It does not automatically mean that the car is of poor, unsafe construction. I have seen just as many safely built Rat Rods as I have poor ones.

I have also seen PLENTY of shiney Hot Rods or Street Rods that when you look close it appears as though they were engineered by a kindergartner with a blindfold on.

Poor, unsafe construction is present in every segment of the automotive hobby.

I am also a car nut and I think the whole "rat rodding" thing is an insult to hot rodding community... I will never understand the point in spending a ton of money to make your car look like you have no put in any money into it at all... Then again everyone has a right to their own opinion and to liking certain things so I can't really knock on the style, I just do not understand it.

i dont think its an insult, but thte money thing is right on the.... well.... money!!