Model Cars Magazine Forum

dont forget

While you're at it, you may want to check those muffler bearings too.

Be careful if you take your car to one of those chain store auto repair shops. They're always trying to pad the bill by recommending a bunch of services you probably don't really need! Yeah, in this case it does look like the blinker fluid is shot, but be careful! One time I had my car in for an oil change, and they told me that not only did I need new muffler bearings, but my radiator hinges were due for their 20,000 mile replacement.

Well, I was too smart for them. I just had new muffler bearings installed a month before, and I knew for a fact that the manufacturer of my car says the radiator hinges have a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty.

Buyer beware!

This is my favorite blinker fliud, sold by KaleCo Auto. I use it on all my vehicles, and even replace the OEM blinker fluid with it since they tend to put the cheapest possible fluid in from the factory: http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=22

I put this fliud in my Astro's bulbs and eight years later, it still looks brand new. Plus, the gallon should last just about forever. I'm a customer for life.

Have you inadvertantly let the smoke out of the wires on your classic British car?

This, then, is the solution to your problem!

You need a genuine Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke kit, P/N 530433, along with the very rare Churchill Tool 18G548BS adapter tube and metering valve. These kits were supplied surreptitiously to Lucas factory technicians as a trouble-shooting and repair aid for the rectification of chronic electrical problems on a plethora of British cars. The smoke is metered, through the fuse box, into the circuit which has released it's original smoke until the leak is located and repaired. The affected circuit is then rectified and the replacement smoke re-introduced. An advantage over the cheap repro smoke kits currently available is the exceptionally rare Churchill metering valve and fuse box adapter. It enables the intrepid and highly skilled British Car Technician to meter the precise amount of genuine Lucas smoke required by the circuit.

Unlike the cheap, far-eastern replacement DIYsmoke offered by the "usual suppliers", this kit includes a filter to ensure that all the smoke is of consistent size. It has been our experience in our shop that the reproduction Taiwanese smoke is often "lumpy", which will cause excessive resistance in our finely-engineered British wiring harnesses and components. This is often the cause of failure in the repro electrical parts currently available, causing much consternation and misplaced cursing of the big three suppliers.

These kits have long been the secret weapon of the "Ultimate Authorities" in the trade, and this may be the last ones available. Be forewarned, though, that it is not applicable to any British vehicle built after the discontinuing of bullet connectors, so you Range Rover types are still on your own...

This Genuine Factory Authorised kit contains enough smoke to recharge the entire window circuit on a 420 Jaguar, and my dear friend and advisor George Wolf of British Auto Specialty assures me that he can replace ALL the smoke in a W&F Barrett All-Weather Invalid Car(147 CC) with enough left over to test a whole box of Wind-Tone horns for escaped smoke. How much more of an endorsement do you need?

More, you say? Well, I once let the smoke out of the overdrive wiring on my friend Roger Hankey's TR3B, and was able to drive over 200 miles home from The Roadster Factory Summer Party by carefully introducing smoke into the failed circuit WITHOUT even properly repairing the leak. Another friend, Richard Stephenson, was able to repair the cooling fan circuit of his Series 1 E-Type by merely replacing a fuse and injecting a small quantity of smoke back into the wires.

After Re-introducing genuine Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke into the wiring harness of your classic British motor, it is guaranteed that it's electrical system will resume operating at the speed of dark.

So there!

and don't forget to let out the summer air in your tires and replace with winter air...

You fell for one of the oldest scams there is!

The fact is that your tires will be perfectly fine running on summer air all year 'round. Fussy types may still do the summer/winter air swap, but the computers on today's cars automatically recalibrate the outdoor air/tire air molecular ratio and make any necessary adjustments without you needing to do a thing. Do not be talked into paying for that seasonal air switch, it's a scam!

Folks, for safety's sake, we are entering the rain/snow season, lets not forget to oil our windshield wiper blades, and if you drive a

Vehicle with a Diesel engine, don't forget to change your spark plugs to prevent hard starting in the cold winter months!

Quoting Junkman: "Have you inadvertantly let the smoke out of the wires on your classic British car?"

This can be a serious problem on Italian cars too. I once worked in a shop where the A/C installer drove a huge sheet-metal screw through the wiring harness (in a Fiat 124 Spyder) and let ALL the smoke out of every single wire!! Needless to say, it was cost-prohibitive to reseal and replace the smoke in so many wires, so a complete factory-smoke-filled wiring harness was the only practical solution.

Hey Jim,I did mine this past weekend,did you get yours yet????

antifreeze.jpg

By the way. I just had my 61 Vw in for service and they said this is good for metric vehicles as well. It is important to match the year of your vehicle so you get the correct vintage though. Also, since these vehicles are air cooled be sure to have them put several cans of compressed air in.

This is my favorite blinker fliud, sold by KaleCo Auto. I use it on all my vehicles, and even replace the OEM blinker fluid with it since they tend to put the cheapest possible fluid in from the factory: http://kalecoauto.co...&products_id=22

I put this fliud in my Astro's bulbs and eight years later, it still looks brand new. Plus, the gallon should last just about forever. I'm a customer for life.

You beat me to it, Kale's has the best stuff in the business.

(I knew Kale years ago when we used to build trucks for computer games.)

Since no one has mentioned it yet...

Be sure to have the alignment of the "free floating pinion retainer" checked for proper runout otherwise huge repair bills will result in having you gas cap painted red.

A good "smoke reducer" added to the fuel system will alleviate winter build up of flish.

It dose my heart good to "know" there are so many helpful people on this form. Car care is is way beyond

the normal car owner that they have to relay on the "pro's" to point out all the service's needed. I want to thank you all as I "know" you all would never mislead anyone. Thank you,Thank you,Thank you.

LMAO......................................

:)