Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ten new Testors Lacquer Colors coming next month

I just spotted this on the Testors website. Just in time for all those kustom '49 Mercurys we're building!

newlacquers.jpg

Colors from left to right are:

De Ja Blue

Lime Ice

Inca Gold

Fiery Orange

Revving Red

Mythical Maroon

White Lightning

Blazing Black

Diamond Dust

Wet Look Clear

They're called "One Coat Metallic Lacquers - One easy coat, dries in 20 minutes." An online hobby retailer lists the release as "Mid-September."

I'm most excited about the Inca Gold! Model on...

Cool Matt, thanks for posting that! I notice that they have a new can design, and unlike the first two waves of MML these are not liscenced from any car companys. Also they are being marketed as Testors instead of Model Master.

In that photo it almost look like the label is painted on, like Tamiya does. Probably won't be in person, though. Interesting that the caps are the color of the paint, unlike the stadard Testors black.

Is it just me or does the can of "Diamond Dust" look to have a chrome cap?

I'm most excited about the Inca Gold! Model on...

Yes, inca gold. Also, having a medium orange metallic in hobby laquer will be nice. I am excited about all the colors! If it rivals Tamiyas "one coat" application instead of the time consuming(albeit, very nice) MM laquer 2 part system I will be overjoyed. I have a tendancy to be overeager when it comes to painting, so if this fills my "instant gratification" painting tendancies I will be verrry happy! :angry:

Thanks for the info Matt!!

If it rivals Tamiyas "one coat" application instead of the time consuming(albeit, very nice) MM laquer 2 part system I will be overjoyed. I have a tendancy to be overeager when it comes to painting, so if this fills my "instant gratification" painting tendancies I will be verrry happy! :angry:

Thanks for the info Matt!!

Here's the kicker: Paints that are intended to be glossy have a lot of clear carrier in them; so the color pigment will be less dense, you'll need to apply more coats simply to cover and get the color to one solid shade.

Testors MM lacquers are nice because they cover so well and you let the final clearcoat bring up your gloss. I don't find them more time consuming in the least, in fact a quick-covering base coat w/gloss overcoats generally gives a thinner overall paint layer and saves time overall. I'm hoping these new colors are just like the MM lacquers; fast coverage, fast drying. I prefer to airbrush them, and I wish they'd be available in bottles. Hopefully the pearls/metallics are finely ground. Some of the MM lacquers have awfully large, almost "metalflake" sized metallic particles that are terribly out of scale.

I have no doubt that these are Testors/Rustoleum's answer to Valspar's HOK Kustom Kolors.

I'm with Bob that the pigments will hopefully be much more finely ground than in the MM lacquers. Whether they are plastic-compatible lacquers like Tamiya or "hot" like HOK has yet to be seen. But it always is nice to have choices, no? Even when you're running out of paint storage! :lol:

I've got to wonder if Testors will eventually phase out their line of never-dry enamels.

Some are better than others, and whatever happens, I hope they keep #1246 Metallic Silver.

It may say enamel on the label, but it drys quick and doesn't react to Testors lacquer or anything else I've sprayed over it. I like it especially as a color barrier for colored plastics.

Also, it strips easy, so it makes my painting mistakes a lil easier to erase! :D

Cool cant wait till the hit the shelfs! IS there a price yet?

These are the colors that are ready tobe shipped out

1830M Testors - Diamond Dust Lacquer 3oz Aerosol $4.99

1831M Testors - Fiery Orange Lacquer 3oz aerosol $4.99

1832M Testors - Blazing Black Lacquer 3 oz $4.99

1833M Testors - White Lightning Lacquer 3oz $4.99

1834M Testors - Wet Look Clear Coat Lacquer 3 oz $4.99

1836M Testors - De Ja Blue Lacquer 3oz aerosol $4.99

I'm good for ONE can and will give it a fair trial. I haven't had any luck with anything in the Testors line and have been using mainly Tamiya, HOK and Duplicolor products. If the paint lays down nicely and the can sprays well, I might have just added another tool to the paint tool box.

Bob

WOW! Nice colors there to choose from!

Any word on where they will be available? Online? Hobby Lobby? HobbyTown USA? Wal-Mart?

I will give them a try and see how they work. I have had good luck with the MM lacquers and would hope that these aren't much different.

Hopefully there will be a review of these soon to help us form a buying decision.

Mike

More color options are always a good thing in my book! :D

I've had great luck with the 2part Testors system. I'm really not married to any one type of paint though. I'm more interested in the right color... I'll shoot anything once if I think it will look good on the car. I'm going to try ordering some Zero Paints from hiroboy for a copy of a couple of one to one projects but these new paints will be fun!

Dave

I've tried their current two part lacquer system with great success on a Road Runner, mainly because I wanted the Moulin Rouge (or Panther Pink) color. For some reason though, I could only find these paints at one small, not local hobby shop. The Hobbytown nearest me doesn't even carry them. I hope this new line will get more mainstream, as I think the newbies getting into the hobby will like the fast dry time and good results. I also noticed my local WalMart no longer carries the Shimrin's HOK paints, which I use on occasion. :D

These look interesting, I'll have to ask if we'll be getting them at work or maybe at the local Hobby Lobby too. I also have to wonder how well they'll work on lexan, I've had good luck with their multimpart system on RC car bodies.

I noticed they don't offer a primer....do you guys think they are meant to be sprayed straight on plastic? Just wondering.

Dave

I noticed they don't offer a primer....do you guys think they are meant to be sprayed straight on plastic? Just wondering.

Dave

I'd bet their lacquer primer will be recommended.

I did talk to my boss on friday about these paints, we will be carrying them at the St. Charles, Illinois HobbyTown when they become available B)

Dave

Testors (and Tamiya) spray lacquers don't have to be sprayed over primer; they're mild enough to not harm plastic. Testors has more pigment, so it's not as important as Tamiya spraying over a suitable "primer" color.