Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Figured I would participate. I scored an original issue Ice "T", and a 1986 issue T'Rantula and Beer Wagon off eBay for $22.50. Nor bad if I do say so myself.

The beer wagon has been selling for good prices now. Good pick up...

Bought on ebay. Received today. Now to figure out what I want to do with it.

elcaminogottoday002_zps4948df6e.jpg

Is that an original issue or a reissue from the 90's? original issue was molded in blue and the reissue is molded in grey if I recall correctly. plus an original issue will not have a barcode on the box. the original issue has a bunch of cool custom parts that were not in the later issues.

I found a kit of the first model that I ever remember buying, the Revell 1957 Chevy Nomad, 1969 issue, the one with the photo box art. It is still in its original shrink wrap. It will never be opened. I also found a 1973 issue, open, but complete that I will attempt to build (I forgot how bad these are, too many Tamiya kits I guess!).

I found a kit of the first model that I ever remember buying, the Revell 1957 Chevy Nomad, 1969 issue, the one with the photo box art. It is still in its original shrink wrap. It will never be opened. I also found a 1973 issue, open, but complete that I will attempt to build (I forgot how bad these are, too many Tamiya kits I guess!).

Very cool! I have all ways loved that photo on the box of first release of Revell's '57 Nomad.

post-10661-0-39303300-1405855749_thumb.j

Just a shame that you will never be building it. This is just my opinion. I've always believed that like old cars that should be driven, because that's what they were designed to do. I believe all models kits should be built. At the same time I do understand why you don't want to in this case. I will be interested in hearing how the '73 version of this kit goes together. It's been years since I built my last one. More than forty!

Last night I purchased Rommel's Rod off of eBay. Have been thinking about buying this kit for years. I thought I better buy one now before the PC police influence Revell into never allow it to be reissued again. (See blog on this site about "real" Rommel's Rod selling for over a million dollars.) At leased in its original form.

Scott

Mvc001s-vi.jpg

Agreed! My favorite box art of all time. Every time I'd see that kit on the shelf I was compelled to buy it as a kid. Never once did I get it together. When I started going to GSL I met Bob Paeth, who was the driving force behind a lot of 1960s Revell products. He told me the long story about bringing this kit to market in 1968, so the next tiime I saw him I brought along a box top for him to sign, look in the lower right corner. Bob said that back in the 1960s they were toy makers and never thought their work would be collected someday. He went to every GSL until his death.

The story was that the actual Hollingsworth Nomad in the photo had fancy wire wheels on it. The kit was ready to start pressing, box art done and everything was a go. Then someone high up in Revell noticed the wheels and realized that they weren't in the kit! So he ordered the box art changed immediately. Bob did quip that nobody noticed the decals to build the Hollingsworth car were never in the box either! This was on a Friday and the art was supposed to be at the printer on Monday. Custimary in those days, they would have had an air brush artist fix the artwork. No time for that! So Bob Paeth went into work on a Saturday. He said he had a Rambler with the correct chrome rims on it, so he brought the company camera out to the parking lot and took a mess of photos. He then hit the dark room and printed photos out in sizes until he had two that he could cut out and rubber cement onto the artwork. What nobody noticed is the photo is in color, but the wheels are in black and white!

Part of this 45 year story is that the Hollingsworth Nomad disappeared. Nobody knows what happened to it, but one of the theories is that it lives on in California, having been restored back to a stock Nomad. Recently an exact replica of the original car was built in 1:1. With new interest in this iconic car, Danbury Mint was going to produce a diecast of it! According to my source within Danbury, the owner of the clone gave them complete access, and they got as far as creating a prototype. They gave it to the car owner. I would have been first on line to buy one of those, since I've admired the car since I was a kid, and there's no way I could do that paint job!

I've managed to get 3 or 4 of the old Revell 1957 Chevy Bel Aires together, the last probably 30 years ago. Never did finish a Nomad so hopefully this time it goes better. I just don't know when that will be. I might start cleaning up parts in between other projects. Just what I need, to start something else! As for not opening the 1969 version, it's taken 45 years to find another mint original and for me it is more of a nostalgia thing and I usually don't buy kits that I do not intend to build.

that room is amazing! I have been waiting to finally get one of these and did

I had that in my watch list, and just forgot all about it

Does that kit have full detail (engine, chassis etc)? Cool score.

No engine , but does have a decent chassis detail

@Blair- Nice hobby room! Where did you get those display cases? Kinda like those. Do they have lights inside too?

ANDY ,they are from IKEA , they are not cheap , and no they do not come with lights ,and I love them ,

Those appear to the the "Billy" bookshelves, and they're not cheap, but they're very good products. The glass doors are an option. Lighthing can be added with LED strips or individual spots.

And yes, I must agree, that's a nice room.

Charlie Larkin

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...