Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

What did I get today? I don't even know yet. I haven't had time to go through it! I'm guessing somewhere around 100 kits, mainly Fords. Parts and pieces galore. Half built cars. Tons of styrene, glue, cutting mat, tools like crazy. A brand new lathe. And a rockin paint booth!

Oh, and a 1:1 flat tire...

Lots of kits. That would be fun to go thru.

Lots of kits. That would be fun to go thru.

Most of them appear complete and unstarted. I'll post a pic when I get them all stacked and organized. It's gonna take me a couple days to get it all lined out, get the parts organized and arranged the way I like, and get my new bench set up. I split this with another guy. What I showed is only half of it. I had the car so packed their was a kit in my lap.

A 1978 Ranchero GT, I didn't actually buy it, my neighbor is having me get it running good and detailing it to sell it for her. She wants $3000 for it and she told me anything over that I get 10% of.

1EA82E2A-73C0-49C3-9B6D-847FFC4E0657_zps

If I suddenly find myself with enough cash to make a not-insulting offer, I'll let you know. That's a beauty.

Charlie Larkin

A 1978 Ranchero GT, I didn't actually buy it, my neighbor is having me get it running good and detailing it to sell it for her. She wants $3000 for it and she told me anything over that I get 10% of.

1EA82E2A-73C0-49C3-9B6D-847FFC4E0657_zps

Yea, the only thing I see wrong with it is that it's on the WRONG COAST! If that was on the East Coast and within a pleasant drive, I'd be all over it. I had a 1977 LTD II with that same nose and loved the look of it.

If I suddenly find myself with enough cash to make a not-insulting offer, I'll let you know. That's a beauty.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie, if I had the money I'd buy it straight from her, it's a solid car that would be a great daily driver

Yea, the only thing I see wrong with it is that it's on the WRONG COAST! If that was on the East Coast and within a pleasant drive, I'd be all over it. I had a 1977 LTD II with that same nose and loved the look of it.

Tom, what do you think it's worth? I'm a Chevy guy so estimating a reasonable price for something I don't know much about isn't easy, I've done research and they're all over the map depending on condition, I'm thinking about listing it on Craigslist for $5000 and I can expect to be negotiated down to $4500 or so Edited by Dragfreak

AL ,heres some close up shots ,see it,s not all ways clean , HA,HA , as for the models there are to meany to get good pics of I,v try,ed ,thanks for the comments ,

thanks for taking the time to take those shots. you use acrylic paints? I do a lot of crafts (well, used to) and have a bunch of those. I have to break them out and try them. great work area. produces some top notch builds too.

Jason a low mile, clean no rust vehicle like that, maybe start at $6500 and see what happens since Craig's List is free. You can always go down, but you can't go up! Someone who is looking for one of those would come see it if it was priced high, and wouldn't be shy about making a lower offer.

That car would sell high on the East Coast since we have the terminal tin worm. I'm not sure in your area. Rust free hulks that are considered parts cars in California are be gold here!

Also note that when you put a car on Craig's List, be prepared to get contacts from scammers. A friend of mine in NJ recently put an ad in for a 1999 VW and most of the responses he got were scams. I always put in my ads, "Hey Scammers! Don't even bother! This car will only be sold to someone who physically comes to see it and pays cash in person!"

Edited by Tom Geiger

Here in Oregon, my Vega has zero rust (if you've had any experience with how bad they rust). This car is solid, I can't find a spot of real rust damage anywhere, some little surface rust in some small areas where the paint was chipped off but no damage. After I get it running and looking good I'll start at $6500, I use craigslist quite a bit, so I've dealt with my fair share of flakes and scammers. Usually I say in my add "don't contact me unless you have cash in hand." That seems to work pretty well.

Usually I say in my add "don't contact me unless you have cash in hand." That seems to work pretty well.

That's the other side of the folks who answer ads. Car guys who want to come and kick tires, just to have a friendly chat. I've met some nice guys that way. In fact I've been friends with one I met that way over 30 years! Still, you want to sell the car!

Vegas rust? Nooooo?!

A story - My friend Mark bought a 1971 Vega for college transportation. This had to be around 1976. It was a piece of junk then. He literally dumped his oil in a lot across the road from Motor Vehicle, so he could run it through inspection without it visibly smoking. Somehow he got it through inspection! Then he went back across the street and added oil.

One night I was visiting him at college and we went to a frat party. On our way home the highway was one where they lowered the road at ancient overpasses so modern trucks could pass under. He was driving so fast that we hit one of those dips in the road hard, and when we hit, the hatch popped open and the area around the hinges was so rusted, the force ripped it off. The hatch hit the highway with a spray of glass and sparks!

We just kept going! It was late at night so nobody was around and we had much too much chocolate milk at the party to be speaking with the good officers! :)

He was fortunate that the rust was on the hatch side so he had all the hinges still on the car. He was able to install a new junk yard hatch. I actually found him a red one that matched. He did drive that car through the end of the semester and did find someone to buy it from him.

I came across this Cobra kit while on ebay a couple of weeks ago and snatched it up. It arrived today . I was not aware of this version. I thought I got the last one I was missing when I got the Competition version about a month ago. Anyway, now I have a total of 5 of the different Fujimi kits . I am wondering if there is any others I am missing. Anyone know ? I have included photos of the others I have so perhaps someone may notice I am still missing others.

gottoday001_zps06fc2537.jpg

gottoday002_zpsd7c017d5.jpg

OK. It's not model related but in a way it's plastic related. I got my new full dentures today and they're made of acrylic. They fit, feel and look great. My old ones were partials and I had to "reglue" them (Poligrip) in sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. I doubt I'll have to be doing that with the new ones.

I had a fear of dentists since I was a teenager due to a very painful experience with one. Not taking care of my teeth and not going to a dentist for 40+ years obviously caused me to have what few teeth I had left to be pulled and get dentures.

My advice to everyone is to take care of your own teeth so you don't have to buy new ones.

20140728_215701-XL.jpg

ok I seriously need to stop buying kits.. I keep finding deals tho!

And that's the way it happens; innocently finding deals until one day we wake up and there's a hobby shop in our closet (or model room, or basement, or ...) :)

I came across this Cobra kit while on ebay a couple of weeks ago and snatched it up. It arrived today . I was not aware of this version. I thought I got the last one I was missing when I got the Competition version about a month ago. Anyway, now I have a total of 5 of the different Fujimi kits . I am wondering if there is any others I am missing. Anyone know ? I have included photos of the others I have so perhaps someone may notice I am still missing others.

gottoday001_zps06fc2537.jpg

gottoday002_zpsd7c017d5.jpg

Cool kits Ray, are they to build or keep??

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...