Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Purchases Lindberg/Hawk

I thought Learning Curve is the overall holding company that was created to license the tooling from RC2. In the current legal notices part of Round 2's website they are still listed as the owners of the company names (AMT, MPC, Polar Lights) that are then produced in a DBA (Doing Business As) called Round 2.

I thought Learning Curve is the overall holding company that was created to license the tooling from RC2. In the current legal notices part of Round 2's website they are still listed as the owners of the company names (AMT, MPC, Polar Lights) that are then produced in a DBA (Doing Business As) called Round 2.

Probably something like that. It looks like Learning Curve is now owned by Tomy.

Probably something like that. It looks like Learning Curve is now owned by Tomy.

Well considering how dubiously out of date Round 2's website tends to be, they may have never updated it to reflect the ownership change after Lowe bought the companies from Tomy. Now I want to look at the bottom of a new reissue and see what the copyright information says, curse being at work....

Well considering how dubiously out of date Round 2's website tends to be, they may have never updated it to reflect the ownership change after Lowe bought the companies from Tomy. Now I want to look at the bottom of a new reissue and see what the copyright information says, curse being at work....

All the most recent reissues I have are showing Round2 LLC- no mention of Tomy or any other manufacturer.

Learning Curve started in the 90's, made it big making the wooden "Thomas and Friends" trains, it was merged with Racing Champions/Ertl in 2003 to form RC2 Corporation.

Round 2 now owns the model brands outright (as of Nov 2011) but still licenses the Ertl Collectibles and American Muscle brands from TOMY Int'l (what's left of RC2, including the Learning Curve brand)

I don't think anyone is looking for New tooling from Round2 anytime soon.

Rumor has it that Revell is thinking about a Ranchero & Ranch Wagon, Country Sedan or

'Squire as a follow up to their 57 Custom. Not too soon, maybe 2-5 years down the road,

but thinking about it

Well here's hoping they can acquire whatever Johan molds still exist and call it a sweep.

I was gonna post the same thing & was looking to see if anyone else thought the same....johan kits are way over priced on that auction site..

probably old news but I just got an e-mail newsletter from Round 2 saying they have bought all rights to these 2 companies from J.Loyd .this will be intresting to say the least..

WOW !!! ....I guess it is old news ....sorry 'bout that... :wacko:

It's too bad that kit never made it to production. The SBC in the 1/16 T-based kits is pretty good, including the six carb manifold and two-piece Stromberg(?) carbs, it includes some nice period tires, and the quick-change rearend is very nice. The wheels are funky leftovers from the oddball Pyro versions (The Serpent anyone?), but the fronts seem to scale out to 15", and the kit is loaded with '60s era rod bits from the front suspension to the steering system. Not many other options for a 1/16 T-bucket, either, and while the body isn't perfect, it's about as good a starting point as there is in 1/16 scale.

Mark Johnson has a nice 1/16 T-bucket based Altered project going in the drag section, using the Pyro body as the base.