Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Purchases Lindberg/Hawk

Do you have the Cuda labeled as either a Challenger or Charger??

Think it was only called Charger, but would have been more accurate as a

Challenger

I have one marked Charger. All they did was add a second set of head lights to the grill of the Cuda!

And yea, I have the Benz too.

Should have 5 or 6 of the Motorcycle out of the El Camino, but, so small..........................

I remember something weird about the Cuda...it definitely has a Cuda body and the 4 round taillights rear, but the grille is wrong--like a '72-74 grille but w/ 4 headlights. Haven't seen it in years, stashed away back in Ohio.

The 1/32-ish (and I don't use the -ish suffix lightly) Lindberg kits are as close to toys as a model can come, but the subject matter was rather unique. I bought the Grand Am a few years ago for a dollar, and I paid too much. :lol: The roof is way too short, and the body proportions are off all over, but these weren't designed to be highly accurate, so take them for what they are.

I think the IMC 1/32 scale kits could be worth the time to re-pop, as the bodies look very nice and with the renewed interest in slot cars, there may be a market for them again:

KGrHqRqgFD-ZDuKdBRJ9RvWqw60_57.jpg

I always liked the Avenger GT12 kit, too, but I doubt more than 37 people would ever buy one. :lol:

e8c6752b-f157-4b75-98e3-f7e5ba9eb308.jpg

That IS the Testor's kit

I kind of alluded to that, although apparently I should've been more explicit. Back to my question: Am I wrong in thinking the Testors kit might've been cobbed off of the AMT SS454 kit? Bodies look awfully similar.

Not sure if it was ever released, never saw it. I think it was a re-issue of the Testors Boyds kit from about 10 years ago.

No offense to Steve G, but I wonder if that Chevy pickup was cobbed off of AMT's SS 454 pickup. IIRC, there's a Testors pickup like this too. Just curious...

Don't worry, I'm not that easily offended. I haven't worked with Lindberg since Ernie left around three years ago. Thats is the Testors Boyd Chevy Pickup kit in question, before becoming President of Lindberg Ernie was also the President of Testors. Lindberg had all of the Testors plastic kits so now all that tooling also went to Round 2 as part of the deal. One last piece of trivia, Ernie owns the actual Custom Chevy truck on the box. He says he still drives it whenever he gets the chance.

-Steve

I kind of alluded to that, although apparently I should've been more explicit. Back to my question: Am I wrong in thinking the Testors kit might've been cobbed off of the AMT SS454 kit? Bodies look awfully similar.

Is that really odd that two Chevy truck kits of similar vintage would be very similar? I'm a bit confused as to the issue. Now I know that there are cases where two manufacturers kits are nearly identical in parts layout on the sprues and have similar mistakes that suggest duplication (Lee kits for example) but that doesn't seem to be what you are saying.

As far as the trucks, nothing unusual about two kit makers tooling up the same item of the same/similar year....AMT and Revell both did mid '90s Mustangs and Camaros, for instance.

This is just another good day for the hobby.

It will be interesting to see what they mold first .

My guess 1934 Ford truck with retro box art.

Tom Lowe mentioned that kit in the press release, so it's probably inevitable.

It would be cool if all the 1/32s were there. I've collected a bunch of them. I have the Ford Granada and Cordoba too.

I remember the last hurrah for these maybe 20 years ago I found a few in the grocery store. I bought the 77 T-Bird, a Corvette and a Gremlin for $1 each. The Gremlin I got was missing the grill and someone in my club wanted it to make a race car so I gave it away. I still have the Corvette. I don't know if any others were issued at that time, I bought one each of the ones the store had.

I've wanted the Mercury Monarch kit since March 1976 !

My parents bought a then-new 1976 Monarch Ghia 2 door (351W , etc.) . In the dealer's parts dept was a group of Promos and a set of the Lindberg 32nd scale kit !

Of course , at 6 years old , I couldn't have possibly cared less about the kits' accuracies :)

As far as the trucks, nothing unusual about two kit makers tooling up the same item of the same/similar year....AMT and Revell both did mid '90s Mustangs and Camaros, for instance.

Tom Lowe mentioned that kit in the press release, so it's probably inevitable.

Lindberg, Revell and AMT released the newly styled(at the time) 1997 Ford F150's.

Is that really odd that two Chevy truck kits of similar vintage would be very similar? I'm a bit confused as to the issue.

I happened to see a pic of the SS 454 https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWdiRwgP1LLevNyCIJSaqEy8kwYZ4FtXOTmsPmNVyCzDGSv49gEg and the Testors/Lindberg kit https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWloGMMukO1sbrb_KGcmLryWwg4sSD3zg2bkQt5cXEV65avr4V and wondered how the Testors kit came to be. Over the years, some of our more well-informed insiders have tipped us off to various kits that used another mfr's kit as a basis. For example, many have said that Lindberg's '72(?) Challenger is based off the MPC unit. In the late '90s, Lindberg seemed to want to turn their models into toys with the Hoppin' Hydros line. In that lineup was a dead knockoff of AMT's '70s van. Weird things seem to happen. I was just curious.

I'm hoping they re-release the MIni Lindy's. They were Ho Scale, and 1/64th cars. I would really like to see the Greyhound bus re-issued, again. Later releases had a small garage kit with them.

MVC004S-vi.jpgMVC005S-vi.jpg

Here's two of those with the garages. I got these at Toledo a while back for $5 each.

Got several of those too.

Never did have the Lincoln Mark or Eldorado,

but Do have the Boat tail Riv!!!

How about the Pickup with Camper that started out as a Ford, then magically became a Chevy!!

Have some of those too.

MG, Packard Dual Cowl, Jeepster, Mail Truck, Cement Mixer, American LaFrance Open cab Pumper

(have one of those in the Original Box!) VW Van camper, VW Beetle, Ford COE Semi tracotr/trailer

GMC Tow Truck, Ford School bus, the SceniCruiser (Greyhound), Model B Utility Pickup 32 Ford,

I have a LOT of these!!