Model Cars Magazine Forum

FINISHED AFTER 6 YEARS - - '57 CHEVY BELAIR

Ramfins59

This model has been my Nemesis. I started it around 6 years ago. It waited until final assembly time to start fighting me. I couldn't get the front of the body to seat down properly onto the chassis no matter how I tried. Then, as I was fighting with it, things started to come loose and fall off or out. First the front wheels, spindles and tie rod assembly came off. Then the passenger side inner fenderwell fell out. I got so frustrated with it that I put it all back in the box where it has sat for the past 6 or so years.

While I had the body for the '58 Eldorado in the paint stripper I needed something to do, so I decided that I was finally going to win the fight with this Chevy. Using a little creative force with a pair of hemostats, some CA glue and zip kicker, I finally got the body to seat properly on the chassis. I put the fenderwell back in and reattached the front wheel assembly. I then proceeded to attach all the chrome pieces and some of the MCG PE pieces from their set for this car. The model still had some fight left in it, because I could not get the front bumper to sit straight no matter how I tried.

Overall though, I finally won the fight and got it all together. It's not perfect (slightly crooked front bumper and a couple of glue spots on the top of the passenger side fender) but IT'S FINISHED and it looks good sitting in my display case.

Yeah, I know...... It's NOT another 1958 model..!! So I deviated from my "mission" a little. Since I'm not feeling the love for the '58 Vette or the T-Bird kits, maybe this is the start of another year of cars for me to work on. Let's see, I've got the '57 Ford Fairlane and Custom, '57 Chrysler and '57 Vette (Ugh..). The Modelhaus has a LOAD of '57 cars I could build too. Besides, my younger brother was wondering why I didn't want to build the cars from 1957 because that's the year he was born. Maybe I'll do that for ya David...!!!

Here are pics of the Chevy, and thanks for looking in on it.

FINISHED1957CHEVYMODELFRONT1024x707_zps3

FINISHED1957CHEVYMODELSIDE1024x733_zps73

FINISHED1957CHEVYMODELREAR1024x702_zps10

FINISHED1957CHEVYMODELTRUNK1024x686_zps9

FINISHED1957CHEVYMODELENGINE1024x739_zps

Thanks very much everyone for all your encouraging comments. I pretty much think that most of the 50's cars look good with a set of skirts. The blue dots are pretty cool too. This was one of my better black paint jobs that polished out nicely.

I originally wasn't too thrilled with the red in the engine compartment,but now that it's all assembled it really doesn't look too bad.

I am going to call you the BMF King.....Why? Because your Builds has a lot of Chrome (BMF).....Yep those were the days of Chrome '58's and what hav ya

If i can't call you BMF King....then can i call you the '57-58' Man?

Good Work...LIKE !!!

Cheers Don

i guess building cars from the last years of the fifties are always gonna be somekind of headache

the amount of chrome on them is enormous..

i just finished a 57 bel air in 1/12 scale..from a 1986 Monogram kit..and this to was a handfull

but yours came out sweet ...i love it..