Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus Pictures

PERFECT example of a NEW MAYBE customer. If he DOESN'T know who Don OR the Modelhaus is, Pics would do WONDERS for this gentleman. Us old guys who've known about Don from jump don't need any intros, but the NEW guys do, as is shown here.

Edited by george 53

I lived in Decatur IL for 20 plus years before moving in 2004. I never heard of this place, when did it start up?

They've been around at least 20 years...I remember ordering from their print catalog and buying parts from them at the Toledo show back around '91 or so..

I remember the first time Don & Carol were at the Toledo Show . I did buy something and have continued to do so . I think I still; ahve Catalogs back into the '80's . I cannot say enough about Good products and Service . They don't bill your Credit Card until your order is ready to ship . When they accept your payment , they check your account and charge you a Dollar to do so . This Dollar is subtracted when full payment is made . This protects themselves and you from Fraud . As a Victim of Identity Theft (X4) I like the way they do this too . Thanx ..

I just recently bought a bed from them, and I have to say, the quality is none short of amazing. Flash is virtually non-existent try as I might I couldn't find a single air bubble. The detail is nice and crisp.

I was also a bit put off by the fact that they have no pictures on their site, but a look at their very extensive catalog explains the reasoning behind that pretty well.

And no, I'm not being paid to say this. I'm just a very happy customer :D

Here's a pic of the bed, if it helps anyone-

P1040785_zps93addad2.jpg

These might be worth a look too-

http://public.fotki.com/sheridan13/modelhaus-tires-1/

http://public.fotki.com/sheridan13/modelhaus/

Edited by mopar68

They've been around at least 20 years...I remember ordering from their print catalog and buying parts from them at the Toledo show back around '91 or so..

I just used Google maps to see where he was located. It took me to a house out by Mt. Zion, IL. Granted i lived by Mt. Zion and had a Decatur address to. But when i lived out there i didn't go no further then the local hobby shop (Hammers Hobbys) So anything aftermarket for a model car to me was probably alien to me lol.

I think they are too busy to worry about attracting new customers, so pictures would not be their preference. Be sure though that anything you buy from Don and Carol are the highest quality, no pics necessary. Their replacement chrome has been detailed before plating, way better than originals, I mean mold seams and sprue mounts are non-existant!

Don and Carol are the kindest, hardest working couple I know, and I'm happy to call them friends for 20-25 years. Never ever had anything less than a perfect part, packed and labeled by Carol so never damaged, and turnaround time that's fast. If you need a kit restoration part, or tires, or complete kit, it's perfect.

Searchable catalog is nice. Pics would be nice, but no time, nor server, and about nine bajillion parts not worth effort. They do shows and the French thread has some great photos. Also, if you see something you like, don't wait. Molds wear out, like the 61-63 shortbox F-100's, the 61 300 Chryslers, a few others I've missed. :unsure:

Try some small parts or tires first, then start endorsing your paychecks to them.

Thats fine for existing and/or a previous customer base , but imo if offers nothing for new or potentially new customers something to look at to see if the item is what they want . Pictures go a LOOOOONG way in a products success,,,,, or not .

I think this qoute above needs echoed...

Good words from customers go a long ways. But a picture is also worth a 1000 words! I do see people posting up, basiclly putting words in the sellers mouth (Modelhaus). Saying they need no new customers, they are to busy, no time to take pictures of their product. too many things to take pictures of, and so on and so on. But this is 2013 not 1957 when you see something for sale and it only has a description to where you need your imagination to think what it looks like.

I just bought a 68 Dodge Coronet R/T from them at a show and it is outstanding.

I have bought many small parts from them but would buy much more if they had a website with photos to help match up thing like wheels and tires to the projects I am building.

Great casting either way.

Lots of casters with pretty pictures on sites. Good luck getting parts.

Mention some, you get 8 pages of rants and closed thread.

Some great casters have pictures but nothing of most recent stuff.

Some you find pics on Ebay or on Facebook, but god forbid the rants about Facebook around here.

Still, some only like restaurants with pictures of the food too. Food doesn't look like pictures when it hits table.

If it's a kit part, it looks like the kit part. If it's a custom part, it looks like the 1:1. Save any photos of tires and wheels you find, I can stand in front of the table for decades and not find all I need.

And nope, it's not 1957. Rude to say it is, or imply about Don and Carol. They pretty much set the standards for casting and customer service for decades.

I bought one of the '76 Cadillacs and had the chrome flake off the front bumper. Also, the interior is for an ElDorado, and not a Coupe DeVille. However, out of all the parts and kits I've purchased from them, that's all I've got in the way of a "complaint". The Modelhaus sets a very high standard for resin casting. I like them and I like Don. I promised Don I was going to get a Dodge pickup from him, and I still intend to honor that promise.

For me, the Modelhaus '76 Coupe DeVille, and Missing Link's 1978 LTD are my favorites.

As nice as these are, my AAM (long gone) Olds Delta 88 is my most treasured resin kit.

Bottom line: Modelhaus is a top shelf operation. If it were possible, I, too would like to have pictures on their site. I guess if they were going to do it, it would be done by now.

Edited by Repstock

I live in Australia & I like to see what I'm buying before I pay so when it came to buying parts from the Modelhaus I was a bit unsure but hearing nothing but good reports since the late 80's I stepped up a couple of yrs ago & bought a couple of items & when they arrived I was so impressed I've kept buying more & will continue to do so. Fantastic people to deal with & fantastic service , I can't recommend them highly enough.

If all of you want to complain about No Pics ? Why don't you offer to post pics for Modelhaus ? A solution is always more useful than criticism . I would rather they provide us with quality and the quantity of parts that are flawless . I've been a Customer since the beginning . I have no problem with No pics . I've never been let down . I have cast some parts myself . It is time consuming , so is posting Pics . I am happy with their decision . Thanx ..

I've been a Customer since the beginning . I have no problem with No pics . I've never been let down . I have cast some parts myself . It is time consuming , so is posting Pics . I am happy with their decision . Thanx ..

Lack of Pics for you, Me and many on this very board = No pictures is fine. WE know the history and quality.

But most new customers they will loose because he has no pictures. Will they loose them all ? imo, No .

But I assure you he is loosing customers because of it. If he has all the customers he can handle thats fine and dandy ,, then I say good for him.

But, At some point in time , that will change.

MY opinion only

I bought a corrected 62 Chrysler 300 interior and wheel covers from Modelhaus with out pictures and i am 110% satisfied and have ordered the new 65 Dodge Custom Sports Special and some 68 Imperial bumpers with out any pictures and know that I will be very satisfied when they come in.

I think it (lack of photos) prevents spontaneous purchases.

I understand that but Don is so busy that the "spontaneous" purchase is not a big deal for him... I am not saying that to make him sound like he doesn't care ( quite the contrary) it is just not a big deal for him...

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have pictures of their '59 Chevrolet Pickup Cab. Plated or Unplated version, doesn't matter. I know the Quality is Top Notch but the grille area is the thing I'm not sure about. http://www.modelhaus.com/index.php?c=4064&p=63654

I want to build a replica of this Finnish Chevy Truck and that Pickup cab is the best basis for that project that I have found. The real one has Blown 572 Chevy Big Block that puts out about 1000 HP. http://kuvia.1g.fi/kuvat/Tapahtumat+2011/Cruisings/Vantaa/20.5/MOP_8834.jpg

Edited by W-409

In this age of investors and management pushing all the time for more more more it's no wonder so many of you are having a hard time comprehending. They have zero competition far as restoration parts go so you really have two options, buy the parts from them or don't get the parts. As has been stated over and over, Modelhaus is as busy as they want to be, serving the customer base they want to serve. Sure pictures might grow their business, but they are as big as they want to be and have the kind of customers they want to have. They have the finest resin parts in the industry, the fastest service and the biggest catalog. If they think pictures would compromise their ability to be the best, or if they don't think they need pictures to sell their products then they don't need pictures. They are not Amazon and they don't want to be. I'm not putting words in their mouths, these words came from their mouths.

Edited by kalbert