Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best hobby shop, real or online, in the USA/worldwide?

Scale Model Supplies on the corner of Lexington and University in St. Paul. A classic hobby shop experience. Huge inventory of stuff, new, old, and older. Mostly very organized & easy to navigate. Dank basement setting, but well lit and clean. Staff is not particularly helpful, but not rude of off putting. "Bargain" back room, Gigantic slot track and strip! Model cars stacked to the ceiling, some aftermarket parts, lots of scratch building supplies, planes, trains, other odd kits. Definitely worth a visit if you're in the Twin Cities for any reason.

American kits: Model Empire USA

Japanese kits: Hobby Search

Aftermarket parts: Hobby Easy

Last resort: HLJ

Now that HLJ list anything they can't get as "discontinued" I don't even use them to order out of stock items.

American kits: Model Empire USA

Japanese kits: Hobby Search

Aftermarket parts: Hobby Easy

Last resort: HLJ

Now that HLJ list anything they can't get as "discontinued" I don't even use them to order out of stock items.

I agree, it can be a pain sometimes dealing with HLJ , it seems like everything is either out of stock or back-ordered, but I really love the private warehouse option

I know a lot of people seem to hate ebay and delight in bashing it, but it's really hard to beat for reasonably priced, out-of-production kits, parts, and the gluebombs I enjoy rebuilding. My LHS, a HobbyTown, has a fine selection of tools, materials and scratchbuilding supplies, but practically nothing in older or obscure kits.

It's also possible to get many not-so-popular recent kits, delivered to my door, for less than the LHS wants...and no gas burned to get there.

OK, I must admit my experience of hobby shops that are anything but local is somewhat limited. But, the best hobby shop I have visited in person is CRM Hobbies in St. Louis. Very large selection of kits of all genres, both current and older to vintage. Go there every time I go St. Louis and always bring home some drag subject I have been wanting.

I really used to stick with Strada Sports, but a year or two ago the cimmunication started going downhill and it took months to get parts. A real shame, I lilked that place. They're still in business, but I have a bad taste in my mouth at this point.

For the detail sets, race car stuff and the harder to find parts, Media Mix Hobby in Singapore is fantastic. Cheap shipping, great prices, and it gets to you fast. They are my go to, they always have everything in stock.

Edited by Quick GMC

Model Empire is my FAVE hobby shop for model cars as they have an awesome selection of kits including older issues. They also have a LOT of aftermarket parts as well. Right behind the "Empire" is Greenfield New & Hobby which has 12,000 square feet of space and has something for everybody as well as many tools, supplies, air brushes, parts, etc. The magazine rack leaves nothing to be desired as many publications grace the racks. Both of these places can be found in south eastern Wisconsin.