Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

There is seller on ebay that does just this.

I've bought several of the Hemis out of the Revell dart ,,,for WAY less than I can buy the whole kit

The first time I noticed someone parting out a kit he had split it up into useful groups, like the whole body with the bumpers and stuff, then the whole chassis and so on. I bought a couple different of these groups since they were reasonably priced and had everything you needed.

It's called fishin' the waters of the 'bay or trolling for suckers! As others said, they're looking for someone who hasn't done their homework. For instance I notice when I'm looking for parts for my 1:1 cars, things like models, manuals and dealer brochures pop up in the search. So that guy who owns that vehicle and didn't know there was an easily available kit hits that "Buy It Now" button!

And it's been going on long before eBay. I once got kicked out of an antique shop when I disclosed to the seller that their "Genuine 1966 kits $100 each" had bar codes on them!

And I remember back a bit when I guy I worked with brought in a 1970s Camaro brochure he bought in an antique shop for $100. He owned Camaros and would go to the dealer every year to get the new brochure. He forgot to do it one year. He was convinced he was the only person in the country who did that and the ones he had were absolutely unique. He saw that missing holy grail and seized the opportunity! He was very happy with himself so I didn't point out that it was a $10 brochure from my sources.

and you think the model sellers are crazy?? The stamp collectors are amazingly worse. I see the very same items in the $100s to $1000 price that have been renewed regularly for the past 5 years.

Throw enough BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH against the wall eventually some sticks.

Moron at the computer shop. S'posed to backup my entire hard drive and swap in a new bigger one, LOST over 200 gigs of work-record and research photos (and almost ALL my model stuff). I have another old drive with 95% of the stuff on it, but DAMM MAN...what a PITA!!!

Probably too busy texting or updating his dweeb status to actually notice, and think in his tiny little brain..."man, that old drive had a LOT more on it than this one does now; Hmmm...maybe I oughta see where it all is, ya think?"

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

My son had to move yesterday and unbeknownst to me, he rented a pickup from U-Haul. The truck had $19.95 emblazoned on the side. He drove it 193 mile. I helped him by driving it back and to put the gas back were is was(or they would charge you an arm and a leg for gas) it cost me $50. I don't mind, but once he go there, the total bill was $220!!!! Apparently they charge by the mile. We have to do this again next week. I went to my local Toyota dealer, where I have rented before, and they will rent me a truck for $59.99 a day and that includes 250 miles per day. U-Haul is just plain highway robbery as far as I am concerned!

Bad, Bad neighbor. Been going on for almost a year.

We will call him Mick. He was a good neighbor. So much that I would actually tell him how lucky we felt that he lived next door to us. The was always pleasant and helpful. Loaned me anything I needed, which I returned in the same condition. He even gave my wife a part time job while she looked for a teaching position. (He was fine when she got the position and left, so we are sure that is not the reason.) If I saw him working on something I would go over and help. We even raked our leaves that fell in his yard.

Then he started playing his music really, really loud. We have acre lots and he filled ours with his rock radio station. We let it go because we thought it was a passing thing. Then one Sunday morning at 7am he woke us up with the blaring music.

(The teaching job my wife got was far away. She would get up at 5am and return home at 6:30pm and grade papers until she went to bed. Sleeping in on weekends was precious to her.)

My wife went first, and met the neighbor from the other side of us walking over as well. (Remember - 1 acre lots!) They could not find Mick so she returned to our house. The noise continued, so I went over. I found Mick in the side yard adjacent ours with the other neighbor - music still blaring. My assumption was that this neighbor had already said something to Mick. I asked Mick if he was going to turn the music down. He said "No" and he "resented me telling him to turn it down." I said I am asking him to turn it down. Mick said "Request denied! I asked what had happened. He was the best neighbor. He said the music is not too loud and that we are just light sleepers and that he was not breaking any laws. I told him he was. Mick said call the cops. When I told my wife what happened she got upset and went into his front yard and turned the music down. I was pretty upset about that because she should not be touching his property.

We let it go for the rest of the weekend figuring he would calm down and go back to they way he was. The next weekend Mick started again so early that we were woken up by the radio church services before the music. I called the cops. They did talk to him. So he started at 7am with a leaf blower in the spot closest to our bedroom window (maybe 15 leaves there.) followed by a chain saw to trim a 3ft bush. I went over to talk to Mick. He was irritated that I called the cops (??!!) and that my wife had gone into his yard and turned down the music. I apologized for my wife and OFFERED TO BUY HIM AN IPOD for his music. He said no thanks . We shook hands and he said he really did not feel like cutting that bush anyway.

I was very proud of myself for diffusing the situation before it go worse.

The next weekend Mick put the speakers in his back yard at 7:30 am and started the music. My wife went over to see what it was this time. He just shook his head and drove away.

We no longer talk to Mick and have endured lawnmowers, chainsaws, wood chippers, etc at 7am. We even let the music go.

Two Saturdays ago, it was blasting louder then usual. My wife went over to get the address so we could call the police and found that he had pointed the speakers towards our house and LEFT! I was so mad that I hung up while I was on hold to the police. I did not want to go on a rant and seem like part of the problem.

Last Saturday I called the police when the music was so loud we had to turn the TV up to hear it. I told my wife, we better sleep downstairs on the couch because he's going to run some power tool at 7am. Sure enough Sunday 7am Mick had his riding mower going back and forth along the DIRT area next to the chain link fence near our bedroom window. He let it sit idling while he raked a small pile of leaves.

This Saturday, he ran his diesel bus RV from 7am to 8am. He was sure to load it up so It shakes our house. He ran the lawn tractor at the same time. Then the music started at 9am. It was in the house and every part of the yard. We called the Sheriff to ask for direction dealing with Mick. They said the the power tools are enforced by the county code, but they can start giving him fines for the music. We explained why we feel he is harassing us. But it looks like at this point, we have to find another means of getting help for the use of the power tools. The county code says you can use leaf blowers, etc starting at 7am. But harassment laws are left vague enough to allow for activities such as his.

This morning at 7am was some banging on something, then more banging at 7:30 followed by 15 minutes of chainsaw.

This was supposed to be our last house, our dream house and we really do not want to move. But the sanctity of our home is being driven away. Every Friday when I drive down to our house, I pray that the Mick's RV is gone and we will not have to deal with him for the weekend.I have some video recordings of his blaring music and morning power tool usage. Street justice is a bad idea. I think he wants a confrontation so he can use it later to defend his actions. It will be a bummer if we have to hire a lawyer to get this guy to leave us alone.

Scott

Over two years now.

About a year ago, after many calls to the sheriff, we finally go one who said he would cite "Mick" for the blaring music. (It's a $500.00 fine to start and keeps going up. After the third fine, they arrest the person.) He stopped with the music and eventually the 7am chainsaw stopped. We do not talk to him or even look at him. About 6-8 months ago, he started back up again. We have no reason why. He is just nuts. We have called the cops on the music. Our back neighbor was also bothered by it as well. She thought it was us. (Remember acre lots!) The people behind us are good friends. They said they will call too. That's good because the sheriff said if the same person calls it just looks like a feud.

Last weekend "Mick" parks an idling diesel front loading tractor right on the fence line. He goes inside and lets it ideal for an hour from 9am to 10pm. I've go good footage of that, I also have lots of footage of him running a gas leaf blower on the dirt, outside the window, on clean, leaf free dirt while at the back of his lot is a huge pile of actual leaves. I am collecting all the footage I can. Hopefully a few more neighbors will join in on this so we can get this wacko to stop.

Where is karma when you need it!

Over two years now.

About a year ago, after many calls to the sheriff, we finally go one who said he would cite "Mick" for the blaring music. (It's a $500.00 fine to start and keeps going up. After the third fine, they arrest the person.) He stopped with the music and eventually the 7am chainsaw stopped. We do not talk to him or even look at him. About 6-8 months ago, he started back up again. We have no reason why. He is just nuts. We have called the cops on the music. Our back neighbor was also bothered by it as well. She thought it was us. (Remember acre lots!) The people behind us are good friends. They said they will call too. That's good because the sheriff said if the same person calls it just looks like a feud.

Last weekend "Mick" parks an idling diesel front loading tractor right on the fence line. He goes inside and lets it ideal for an hour from 9am to 10pm. I've go good footage of that, I also have lots of footage of him running a gas leaf blower on the dirt, outside the window, on clean, leaf free dirt while at the back of his lot is a huge pile of actual leaves. I am collecting all the footage I can. Hopefully a few more neighbors will join in on this so we can get this wacko to stop.

Where is karma when you need it!

My Brother in law was having issues with his Nieghbor. Spying , and throwing junk in his Pool, teasing the dog, just in general being annoying PITA. He put up wooden fence panels along his fence line adding another six feet of Height to his fence. That helped him.

My guy lost the fight.

Deep down we all knew Mayweather would probably win.

But....you could tell he was scared enough of Manny to keep his mouth shut beforehand.

Mary and I will not be able to meet with Manny before he returns home, but have plans for the next time he's in the states.

He's got one more fight then retirement from the ring, maybe ;)

G

Ah, I knew the warm afterglow of vacation wouldn't last long! Got back from GSL yesterday and actually had a good day at work today. I get home and the phone rings... daughter number two lost her job of 4 years due to another company buying the hotel property where she was Sales Manager. Kinda stupid on their part, since her sales department doubled sales in her time, and that sales volume was what they had paid for!

But then again, she has an interview elsewhere tomorrow..