Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

53 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Said model room, not motel room, LOL.

So the eyes are going, too. BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. :( :lol:

I never try to watch TV while modeling, but there was a time that was my normal method of operation. Come to think of it, back in those days, TV wasn't as good, and you could follow along just fine by listening (except for The Simpsons). 

About the Vacation / Job issue.

I'll be checking the Handbook tonite, (my first night back).

Other than the Vacation Issue, I have no real complaints, and the Oddball Schedule actually works for now, since I am dependent on others to drive me to work. They are a small family based company with all the Plusses and Minuses that come with that situation. I am treated well and paid adequately so I have no reason to bark, too much. That said, the whole 2 day thing left both angry and puzzled. I don't NEED vacation, other than my son's Wedding in October, so I'll probably just ride this out. But, it was indeed a major Irk, and I will be following up on it.

Thanks for the support. Still hard to believe ANY company in the 3rd decade of the 21st Century does this. 

On 3/30/2022 at 11:50 AM, stavanzer said:

I have a big Irk, and a question.

I'll have my One-year anniversary with my new employer soon. I enquired about vacation, as I will have accrued some Vacation Time on that date.

I was told that at one year, I get 2 (two) days of vacation time!!!!  Two, Whole Days!, and they were proud of it! They also told me that you need to work there 10 (Ten) years to accrue 2 Weeks.......

Has anybody run into this before? I am in California. Is this a Labour Board Issue, or am I way off base? I've been working full time since 1981 and have never seen less than 5 days after one year.  I am just flabbergasted.

Alan, when I changed jobs I worked a year and a half for a week later on they prorated vacation if you worked 6 months you got 2 and a half days. I didn’t have any. Time in when vacation started in the first June and I hired. In January. 10 yers I had three weeks. You have to evaluate your work situation. Big worker problem in my area. If I wasn’t  disabled I could write my own ticket…

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

So the eyes are going, too. BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. :( :lol:

I never try to watch TV while modeling, but there was a time that was my normal method of operation. Come to think of it, back in those days, TV wasn't as good, and you could follow along just fine by listening (except for The Simpsons). 

i like to listen to Tv while building. Take a break watch, then go back to listening…

Oh I’am so pissed off today..So a friend and I decided to pack up a ton of stuff and go to a local car show,and rented a space as a vendor at the swap meet..Well we show up at the crack of dawn,and we were shocked when we,along with a bunch of other vendors are told that the show was cancelled the night before because of the chance of rain today.Arrrggggg🤷‍♂️😤🤬.Meanwhile not only is it not rainning,it’s sunny and mild out.And no word was even given to us about the cancellation,eg an email or phone call.That’s the first and last time I will be doing any swap meets this year.Ahhhhhaaaa😖

8 hours ago, Mark said:

Look at the bright side...he's localizing all of his "deposits" IN the box.  Glass more than half full...

Yeah, he does a much better job of keeping his mess localized and contained than most of the people I'm privileged to work with.  

EDIT: And if he left his stuff scattered everywhere like those guys mostly do, he'd be living under the house rather than in it.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The golf course behind us is redoing their grounds and has moved the cart path up against our back property line. We don't have much of a yard anyway and before there was a good bit of the rough between our lot and the path with the fairway and green beyond. This worked well as all that was in the background giving both of us a space. Now we're going to have the carts parking at the edge of our yard giving us very little privacy when we use our patio. I had talked to the course engineer a month ago when they first started pushing dirt around, but he wasn't concerned about our privacy in the slightest. 

6 hours ago, espo said:

The golf course behind us is redoing their grounds and has moved the cart path up against our back property line. We don't have much of a yard anyway and before there was a good bit of the rough between our lot and the path with the fairway and green beyond. This worked well as all that was in the background giving both of us a space. Now we're going to have the carts parking at the edge of our yard giving us very little privacy when we use our patio. I had talked to the course engineer a month ago when they first started pushing dirt around, but he wasn't concerned about our privacy in the slightest. 

We had a neighbor that was known for inviting the entire family tree over a cookout every Sunday in the summer so it sounded like Chuck E Cheese frequently.  I found that a great time to fire up the lawnmower, weed whack with precision along the fence, detail the car with the most annoying CD I could find, load the firepit with wet oak leaves (enough smoke to make it look like a plane went down), get the chain saw out to cut up the limbs that fell over the winter to firewood length.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HomerS said:

We had a neighbor that was known for inviting the entire family tree over a cookout every Sunday in the summer so it sounded like Chuck E Cheese frequently.  I found that a great time to fire up the lawnmower, weed whack with precision along the fence, detail the car with the most annoying CD I could find, load the firepit with wet oak leaves (enough smoke to make it look like a plane went down), get the chain saw out to cut up the limbs that fell over the winter to firewood length.

This isn't exactly the same thing, but I have had a neighbor once much like you described. We both had almost 1/2 acre back yards and they would often have large gatherings on the weekend. They weren't obnoxiously loud but we couldn't enjoy a conversation on our rear deck. That said his favorite trick seemed to be waiting until we would relax on the deck before or after dinner and enjoy a glass of wine. This seemed to be his favorite time to mow the lawn. He would have been home all day and walking around in his yard doing nothing. But seeing us enjoying sitting out would send him into a gardening tizzy. We're talking about a 20 + horse power ridding mower and two cycle weed whackers plus a leaf blower that sounded like a 747 taking off.  

5 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Oreo's are too dry and hard for me anymore. I have to open the bag and let them sit out and get soft(er) from humidity, before I can eat them. 

I thought I was the only one who did that! :blink::lol:

• Thanks 1

In order to soften 'em up enough to edible, you have to dunk them long enough that they start shedding crumbs...At least that is how it worked for me. Now, I just leave them out. Less Mess.

The old Hydrox cookies were more moist, and not as crumbly, but they are long gone...Sadly.

I preferred them to the Oreo.

My opinion of Oreos is that their Mega Stuf is about what their standard cookie used to be. They seem to be just dry almost tasteless cookies. Stopped buying them years ago because of the changes in quality. I think if you're going to eat a treat that is something you probably shouldn't be anyway the least they could do is make them taste good. 

7 hours ago, stavanzer said:

In order to soften 'em up enough to edible, you have to dunk them long enough that they start shedding crumbs...At least that is how it worked for me. Now, I just leave them out. Less Mess.

The old Hydrox cookies were more moist, and not as crumbly, but they are long gone...Sadly.

I preferred them to the Oreo.

Try the Walmart generics. They're not bad.