Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I'd prefer "model."

This is my model of a 1957 whatever... not this is my build of a 1957 whatever. It's a model. It's not a "build." Build is a verb, not a noun. I build models. I don't build builds.

The reason I use the word "build" as a noun is to distinguish between a bunch of pieces in a box and those same pieces after they've been painted and assembled.

All languages are constantly developing, for better or worse and I think in this case it's for the better because it helps clarity. And there are many cases of verbs doubling as nouns, eg. race, bet, sleep.

(Having said that, I must admit that I resisted the useage for a year or so until it became established.)

Kits vs. Models.

A kit is an unassembled group of parts, that when assembled result in a model.

It chaps my heinie to hear or read people saying "I entered my kits in the contest" or some such thing. Only models should be in a contest. If they are kits, they aren't done yet, they shouldn't be in a contest, they should be in a swap meet or flea market.

I have lots of kits in my stash, and I have lots of models on my shelves, but I don't put kits on my shelves or stash models away.

Calling a model a kit . . . now that really irks me.

Kits vs. Models.

A kit is an unassembled group of parts, that when assembled result in a model.

It chaps my heinie to hear or read people saying "I entered my kits in the contest" or some such thing. Only models should be in a contest. If they are kits, they aren't done yet, they shouldn't be in a contest, they should be in a swap meet or flea market.

I have lots of kits in my stash, and I have lots of models on my shelves, but I don't put kits on my shelves or stash models away.

Calling a model a kit . . . now that really irks me.

It's called a "model kit" right on the box ...

And the pronunciation of the word DECAL.

I've heard at least three pronunciations...

dee-cal The way most folks say it

deh-CAL enthuses on the second syllable. A guy in my club says it this way and will 'correct' you mid sentence, as if he's going to convert the entire hobby to his way.

deckle (as in heckle) Maybe a Western Canadian thing?

This side of the pond we avoid the issue because to us they are transfers, it's difficult to pronounce that more than one way!

But I like to read about decals, and I've even got used to 'shooting' paint as a way of putting colour on!

And the pronunciation of the word DECAL.

I've heard at least three pronunciations...

dee-cal The way most folks say it

deh-CAL enthuses on the second syllable. A guy in my club says it this way and will 'correct' you mid sentence, as if he's going to convert the entire hobby to his way.

deckle (as in heckle) Maybe a Western Canadian thing?

Maybe we should go back to the original word before it was shortened?

Decalcomania. :D

the fact that were sending millions of dollars in help to the typhoon victims & there was a story on local tv about homless veterans. both male & female. no I'm not against helping others & yeah I know America can do things other nations can't & wont do. but dang it who helps us (America) when we have major natural disasters ? I know I'm probably gonna catch some crud on this post but what about taking care of American's first. sorry but the topic was what irked you of today !!

America gets PLENTY of aid and offers for aid and financial assistance for natural diasters. Much of it gets declined.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina

Also- plurals are not formed with an apostrophe "S".

And most of the time, aid to the U.S. from other countries isn't given much press in the U.S. media, for some reason.

Heavens to Betsy !!! I bet you have your DVDs and CDs organized alphabetically .. c'mon admit it ...

And my BluRays.. :) I have actually done that before. Not recently, though..last time I reorganized my CDs I arranged them by genre (classic rock, prog rock, synth pop, alternative, etc). I have also organized the beers in the office refrigerator by type (pilsners, porters, stouts, ales, etc) and country of origin. My boss also likes to go in and arrange the bottles so the labels are all facing outward.

Edited by Rob Hall

And my BluRays.. :) I have actually done that before. Not recently, though..last time I reorganized my CDs I arranged them by genre (classic rock, prog rock, synth pop, alternative, etc). I have also organized the beers in the office refrigerator by type (pilsners, porters, stouts, ales, etc) and country of origin. My boss also likes to go in and arrange the bottles so the labels are all facing outward.

CD's :lol: :lol: , I would of thought you would have made the transition to MP3's or audio files in general

Disclaimer, I too still have CD's , but I use them as back ups, or for deejaying if needed for some reason

CD's :lol: :lol: , I would of thought you would have made the transition to MP3's or audio files in general

Disclaimer, I too still have CD's , but I use them as back ups, or for deejaying if needed for some reason

I do have all my music in MP3 format on my iPod and in iTunes and Google Play music (for streaming), but I still have about 500 CDs going back to the late 80s..I still like physical media for listening at home and in the cars. With regard to movies and TV shows, I do still buy BluRays occasionally, but over the last couple of years I've moved towards streaming more through Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Edited by Rob Hall

Vinyl! I still have tons of vinyl and have two digital turn tables. When everyone was tossing their record collections, I'd take them and buld up my collection. At this point I have every rock album I ever wanted as a kid.

almost everything irked me today. been a rough week and a half. got a lot of stuff going on, a lot to get done, and making no progress! ugh........

today was rough, everything I did went 'not so smooth', like the opposite of the midas touch, if ya get me.

America gets PLENTY of aid and offers for aid and financial assistance for natural diasters. Much of it gets declined.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina

Also- plurals are not formed with an apostrophe "S".

Thanks for the info I stand corrected..and as Harry P. said you really don't hear about it much if at all

Vinyl! I still have tons of vinyl and have two digital turn tables. When everyone was tossing their record collections, I'd take them and buld up my collection. At this point I have every rock album I ever wanted as a kid.

Good man! Nothing sounds as good as vinyl except for live shows of course. And all our hundreds of LPs are in alphabetical order, but not the singles 'cos there are too many of them! I know people who copied all their vinyl onto the 'indestructible' CD then lost most of the music as the CDs self-destructed in that horrible digital way. So what irks me today and every day is our kids who play records then don't put them back or worse, put them back in the wrong sleeve! But at least they get played.

Yesterday, while on my way home from the VA, there was a funeral procession on I-575 .. from Woodstock on it's way to the National Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Cartersville Ga. so, It was lead and followed up by the Cherokee County Sheriffs Dept. Lights were on on all vehicles, 4- Way flashers were on, there were about 15-20 cars in total. It didn't stop people from overtaking, cutting into the line, basically driving like jerks. Have we sunk so low as a nation, as a people, that a Veteran, headed to his final resting place is disrespected like this ? That people are so self absorbed, so ignorant , so inconsiderate ? Is their time so much more important than someone else's that they can't just be courteous ? I see a lot of disrespect from people who are quick to slap a sticker on their car saying " I support out troops".. most of them should add " as long as it doesn't inconvenience me" .. ok, I'll end my rant here, I just needed to get this off my chest ..