Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Today while trying to photograph my 1960 Plymouth wagon, a photo lamp toppled over and landed on the model, breaking the spiral glass lamp, scratching the model's roof and seperating the interior and chassis from the body.

But did I let this small set-back get to me?

You BET I did!!!

I hate it when members say their going to add some photos to there posts, but their not really they're. :P

I hear you, Harry! I love it when people can't differentiate between the three "theres"! "They're leaving their model cars there". There! That there is how they're used!!

The " Your, you're, yore" issue is a good one also. And then there is lose and loose! And hear and here. And those cool cars that they make into gassers are Willys, named after John North Willys - NOT Willy's!

If anyone is wondering I am a spelling, usage and grammar Nazi! My punctuation is not perfect so I can't claim to be a punctuation Nazi! :)

I hear you, Harry! I love it when people can't differentiate between the three "theres"! "They're leaving their model cars there". There! That there is how they're used!!

The " Your, you're, yore" issue is a good one also. And then there is lose and loose! And hear and here. And those cool cars that they make into gassers are Willys, named after John North Willys - NOT Willy's!

If anyone is wondering I am a spelling, usage and grammar Nazi! My punctuation is not perfect so I can't claim to be a punctuation Nazi! :)

You forgot for, fore and four. :P

Something that irks me to no end are these guys with their Harleys with open pipes that sit at a red light and constantly rev the engine over and over. It's not like no one can hear that POS when it's going down the road. He has to sit there and rev it up so everybody can hear his big bad Harley. :rolleyes: That's the only thing that makes me look forward to cold weather. I won't have to listen to that junk for the next four or five months. :D

The whole "revving the engine thing" had a basis in the design of the bikes in days gone by. One carb fed both cylinders, poorly, and they tended to load up at idle after a few seconds. You had to blip the throttle, rev it, so to have a smooth take off when the light went green.

My first solo ride as a newly minted traffic officer was a 1974 HD, FLH-P, 74 CI monstrosity. It required a bit of revving but not as bad as older bikes. New FI bikes don't really require that at all. One could even conclude most of the so called bikers nowadays haven't a clue, they're just feeding their egos.

G

I'll rev my HD engine at a stoplight only if I'm in the left lane and someone talking on their cell phone is in the right lane. They need to make up their mind - drive or talk on the phone.

I'm not going to lie, I've done stuff like that with the glass pack on my Jeep too :P

Edited by Joe Handley

Something that irks me to no end are these guys with their Harleys with open pipes that sit at a red light and constantly rev the engine over and over. It's not like no one can hear that POS when it's going down the road. He has to sit there and rev it up so everybody can hear his big bad Harley. :rolleyes: That's the only thing that makes me look forward to cold weather. I won't have to listen to that junk for the next four or five months. :D

And that is one of the MANY benefits of owning a Harley ! You'd hate my '58 Panhead . I will tell you this much, LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES !!. It may have been irritating to you, but I can guarantee you knew EXACTLY where that bike was. Intersections are some of the most dangerous places on the road for for bikes, ( Harleys or otherwise ). So, until people wake up, pay attention to the road, put down their cellphones, newspapers , makeup, 142 ounce Big Gulps, laptops, rotisserie chickens, etc etc , I guess the only defense are our loud pipes. So at the end of the day I'll take "irking" a few guys over ending up dead because you couldn't "see me" .. How do I know all this to be true ? I lost my closest brother in a bike wreck. He was 45 years old. The driver of the Fed Ex van that t-boned him at an intersection claimed he "didn't see him" as he was running the red light.. he was wearing headphones because his vans radio was broken. Complain about something that really matters ... Now, do some riders do it just to be jerks ? Yup.. but then some people in cars have their stereo so loud you can hear 3 blocks away .. & that happens year round ..

Edited by KingSix

Bikes are fun on quiet , country roads .. That's about it for me .

I've been back and forth across the US on those roads. I rarely used the interstates for my travels unless it was the only convenient way or I had a deadline for some reason. I treid not to have deadlines when touring. I commuted a lot in the midwest. Trouble was I rarely got out of third gear on the way to work.

I will not commute in this city. There is absolutely no regard for bikers here. We just had six hit in one incident where some idiot changed lanes, hit two other cars and then the entire debacle hit a bike club on a run. Turning left in front of a bike is the biggest issue followed closely by freeway antics. Lost another that way last weekend.

G

Locally, we have more problems with the crotchrocketeers running 100+ on the freeways any hour of the day, splitting traffic and weaving in and out from lane to lane, cutting from right shoulder to HOV lane and everything in between at 45-degree angles or more, scaring the beejeezus out of car-borne motorists and snowbirds who come here from climates where motorcycles are unknown. Oh, and there's usually an ugly buttcrack involved in the experience, too. Fortunately, it's only seen for a brief moment but often lingers for-half-of-ever in the memory. :angry:

Odd transposition: The gang bikers around here ride with more consideration and respect for fellow motorists than anyone else exhibits. :huh:

Locally, we have more problems with the crotchrocketeers running 100+ on the freeways any hour of the day, splitting traffic and weaving in and out from lane to lane, cutting from right shoulder to HOV lane and everything in between at 45-degree angles or more, scaring the beejeezus out of car-borne motorists and snowbirds who come here from climates where motorcycles are unknown. Oh, and there's usually an ugly buttcrack involved in the experience, too. Fortunately, it's only seen for a brief moment but often lingers for-half-of-ever in the memory. :angry:

Odd transposition: The gang bikers around here ride with more consideration and respect for fellow motorists than anyone else exhibits. :huh:

This will help with those pesky visions Danno ... LOL

post-7221-0-78337300-1383692013_thumb.jp

Edited by KingSix