Model Cars Magazine Forum

Difference between 31 and 32 Ford

The Hot Rod guys call the '31 a poor man's Deuce. Completely different car but looks different but similar, especially when you take the visor off the windshield and round out the leading edge of the roof. Toss on a Deuce radiator shell and grill. Viola, enter "The Poor Man's Deuce". One is a Model "A" and the other is a Model "B".

What are the body differences between a 31 and 32 Ford 5w coupe? I know the bottom of the 31 is flat and the door opening goes to the bottom. Other than that, I am not sure. Curious what else would need to be adjusted on the Revell 32 to make it look more like a 31.

As others have said, the '32 Ford (either Model B--the 4cyl car or Model 18--powered by the new flathead V8) is a totally different animal than the Model A. The entire range of '32 Ford body styles is completely different from the 1930-31 Model A, even though each one was a carryover in type from Model A in concept and purpose only. A major difference is the wheelbase, as Model A was 103.5", while the '32 was 106", on coupes and roadsters that extra length being in the trunk--behind the coupe roof. In addition, '32 Ford bodies were slightly wider, given the wider, curved frame rails of the '32 chassis where the rails were directly beneath the body sills (on Model A, the frame was tapered from front to rear, with straight frame rails that are inboard several inches from the bottom of the body)

As for making a "1931 Model A Coupe", bear in mind that 1931 Ford bodies were very much the same as for 1930, with the exception that a few body styles received an 18-degree slanted windshield in mid-year 1931 (4-door sedans, Victoria, A-400 Convertible Sedan only). A 1930 Coupe is identical to the 1931 Coupe with the single exception of a facelifted radiator shell (painted panels crimped into the top and bottom of the stainless steel shell on the '31) and a very hard to notice one piece running board splash apron on the '31 (the '30 used a two-piece splash apron). Monogram Models introduced a '30 Coupe in 1/24 scale in the middle 1960's which has been reissued several times, most recently twice in the 1990's as a part of their Selected Subjects Projects (SSP) series of limited-run reissues of iconic older kits. While it's 1/24 scale (Revell's 32 Fords are 1/25, the size difference is but slightly under 4%, the 24th scale model being slightly larger. Even given the age (now nearly 50 years!) of the Monogram kit and its tooling, it is a very accurately scaled model, and builds up quite easily.

Art

Thanks for the responses. Looking to do a fenderless hot rod and tend to like a lot of the 31 Ford's that I have seen 1:1. I saw Lyle Willits' 31 Ford he did from a Replicas and Miniatures body...sort of looked like a tweaked Revell 32 body to me:

http://public.fotki.com/mamaprez/lyles_model_cars/lyles_street_rod_models/4.html

Fenderless '32 Ford 1932-Ford-Red-ret-ww-sy-1024x768.jpg

Fenderless ''31 Ford...

www.hotrodstreet.com-1930-ford-coupe-hot

Similar but entirely different.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monogram '31 (in 1/24) being built as a 1/25 fenderless car ...

DSCN0278_zps5be05803.jpg

AMT '32 5-window, being built as a fenderless car. Revell kit would be similar, but is taller at the firewall.

DSCN6782.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Looking to do a fenderless hot rod and tend to like a lot of the 31 Ford's that I have seen 1:1. I saw Lyle Willits' 31 Ford he did from a Replicas and Miniatures body...sort of looked like a tweaked Revell 32 body to me:

http://public.fotki.com/mamaprez/lyles_model_cars/lyles_street_rod_models/4.html

NOt even close to a Deuce. That is clearly what a 30-31 Model A Ford coupe looks like, and while it has the general, overall shape and proportions of the '32 Coupe, they are different enough that to convert one to the other (either way 31 to 32, or 32 to 31) would be pretty much a waste of a lot of time and work (unless you do it purely as a self-teaching exercise in model car body conversions).

Art

Yep those two are completely different as others have mentioned. And converting a '31 Ford from '32 doesn't really make sense as others said, since you can get one '31 Ford from Monogram. I wish they'd re-release it, because I've always thought that '31 Ford is much better looking than a Deuce.

" One year" lmbo Can't believe no other smarty pants had said that yet

Not even one year! Ford discontinued production of the Model A at the end of December 1931, but production of the 1932 Model B (4-cyl) and Model 18 (V8) did not start until March of '32. To add insult to injury to the Deuce, production of '32 Fords (in the US) ended in October, with the all-new 1933 Model 40 being unveiled in showrooms around the US in November of '32. Just 7 months, and slightly over 250,000 '32 Fords produced.

Art

Not even one year! Ford discontinued production of the Model A at the end of December 1931, but production of the 1932 Model B (4-cyl) and Model 18 (V8) did not start until March of '32. To add insult to injury to the Deuce, production of '32 Fords (in the US) ended in October, with the all-new 1933 Model 40 being unveiled in showrooms around the US in November of '32. Just 7 months, and slightly over 250,000 '32 Fords produced.

Art

Interesting..didn't realize that production was that low in '32. It seems there are far more around today than then, what with all the rods and replicas.. :)