Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50s cars that we'd hope that the manufacturers would offer -

YES! I love Crosleys! Very unusual considering almost I've ever driven are GM B/C-bodies.

That would be perfect. No licensing hassles, and so small, I don't think you'd barely have plastic equal to a body-shell of a normal car. There's no way they could justify more than say, $20 for that based on materials and lack of legal cow cookies.

Just like the real thing- economical as real cars, economical as models.

Charlie Larkin

I'm not settling; I want both and a Buick, please.

Charlie Larkin

Hmmmm,

Crosley's you say? Why, a model company could do a Crosley at 6 to the box! ;)

Art

I don't about going QUITE that far, but I agree- that poor car needs to be fixed- if for no other reason, we'll finally have a decent Polyhead.

Charlie Larkin

Heck, I'll go even further, no more reissues either until they fix the '58 Plymouth.

And, yep, I'd love to see a '56 Mercury Montclair hardtop. Even more so a '57 Buick Century or Special two-door hardtop. Preferably from Moebius.

Trumpeter is welcome to continue making nothing but military stuff.

YES! I love Crosleys! Very unusual considering almost I've ever driven are GM B/C-bodies.

That would be perfect. No licensing hassles, and so small, I don't think you'd barely have plastic equal to a body-shell of a normal car. There's no way they could justify more than say, $20 for that based on materials and lack of legal cow cookies.

Just like the real thing- economical as real cars, economical as models.

Charlie Larkin

I'm not settling; I want both and a Buick,

CHARLIE:

Since I'm very fond of Crosleys (used to own some 1:1 in my car collection) and other "orphan" cars, I would love to see a couple of decent plastic kits of Crosleys. Crosley Motors had some other interesting vehicles, such as a Jeep-like unit called the "Farm-O-Road".

They would be interesting subjects to model, would add interest to diorama displays, and the dragster builders could go nuts with the body shell (such with the reissued AMT Fiat). There have been a couple of resin curbside kits floating around over the years, but they were poor quality. We need styrene!

However, I'd have to take issue with your comment that it would be cheaper to produce. Just as in the case of the 1:1, while you would save a bit on material costs, it would require every bit as much *labor* to produce one of these kts as it costs to make other "full size" kits. As we all know, it's the labor costs that gets you in most manufactured goods.

As for licensing, the "Crosley" trade name is still legally owned and active, so I bet they would want their cut of the action, too.

Oh well, I can always hope. Hey Moebius or Galaxy, how about it?

Crosley Corporation today was formed in 1976, and it appears their tradename and product line are strictly home appliances and electronic gear. Now, it is questionable, I think, that this would carry over to automobiles--for a trademark or brand name to be protected, it is my understanding that it must be "in commerce" in the product area in question--in this case, cars. Now, that hasn't been the case since at least 1954-55 or whenever the Farm-O-Road and the small line of industrial engines manufactured under the Crosley nameplate went away.

Art

My wish list:

1950 Cadillac Coupe de Ville

1953 Cadillac Eldorado convertible

1953 Buick Skylark

1954 Buick Skylark

1953-54 Mercury Monterrey

1955-56 Mercury Montclair Sun Valley

1955 Thunderbird

1957 Thunderbird (the AMT kit is way long in the tooth--it would sure be grand to have one done in 21st Century model kit design!)

1958-60 Thunderbird

1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser

1956 Desoto Adventurer

1957 Imperial

1959 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer HT

1959 Plymouth Sport Fury HT

1956 Plymouth Fury

1955 Studebaker President Speedster

1951 Ford Victoria HT

1950 Ford Crestliner

1949-50 Ford Station Wagon

1957 Oldsmobile 88 2dr sedan w/J2 engine

1957 Oldsmobile J2 88 HT

1957 Oldsmobile station wagon

1957 Buick Caballero station wagon

1958 Buick Roadmaster HT

1958 Buick Limited HT

1959 Buick Invicta HT

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Scenicoupe HT

1958 Ford Fairlane 500 HT

1959 Ford Galaxie HT

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner

1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner

1959 Ford Galaxie Skyliner

1959 Mercury HT

1959 Mercury Commuter HT

1957 Rambler Rebel

any 1954-59 Metropolitan

1957-60 Ford F100 pickup

1957 Dodge Sweptside pickup

1950-53 Dodge "Job-Rated" pickup

1951-52 Ford F1 pickup

1957 International Harvester Centennial pickup

1955 GMC Suburban Carryall pickup

1955 International Harvester Travelall

1950-59 Studebaker pickup

1946-57(?) Dodge Powerwagon

1956 Dodge Lancer HT

1953-54 Chrysler Dual Ghia

1955-57 Pontiac Safari

1958 Pontiac Bonneville HT

1957 Pontiac Star Chief HT

1957 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible

Frankly, I would take any one (or 3 or 5 or all of them!) :D

Art

How about some oddballs, like a Kaiser or a "bathtub" Nash? :) Personally, I'd love to see some cars from the other GM divisions and Chrysler. I'd really love to get a '56 Mercury.

I'll take at least one of each, depending on what specifically gets done. I love independents.

Heck, I'll go even further, no more reissues either until they fix the '58 Plymouth.

And, yep, I'd love to see a '56 Mercury Montclair hardtop. Even more so a '57 Buick Century or Special two-door hardtop. Preferably from Moebius.

Trumpeter is welcome to continue making nothing but military stuff.

Well...no reissues= no money= no way to fix tooling, so, those I can forgive. It's a devil sometimes- you have to make money with what you have to fix what you have so you can do the job right.

I have to say, I agree with your assessment of Trumpeter, although I'm toying with grabbing one of the '63 Novas, if for no other reason, to get a copy of that gorgeous modern 6. The coupe is actually supposed to be pretty decent looking when it's together, too.

Charlie Larkin

Crosley Corporation today was formed in 1976, and it appears their tradename and product line are strictly home appliances and electronic gear. Now, it is questionable, I think, that this would carry over to automobiles--for a trademark or brand name to be protected, it is my understanding that it must be "in commerce" in the product area in question--in this case, cars. Now, that hasn't been the case since at least 1954-55 or whenever the Farm-O-Road and the small line of industrial engines manufactured under the Crosley nameplate went away.

Art

I'm not a lawyer, so it's strictly conjecture on my part. My thought is that if today's Crosley Corp merely *suggests* that they have some trademark rights to a prospective model kit of a Crosley car (or worse yet, would threaten a lawsuit), it would probably be enough to scare-off model kit manufacturers from doing the project. Much as I would love to see a kit of a Crosley car, I know that it would appeal to only a small niche of the model car market, with a slim profit margin, so there's no $$$ in the budget for dealing with legal problems.

I bring this up not to bore everyone with a discussion of a Crosley kit, but rather to point out that there's a lot of work going on behind the scenes these days for a model manufacturer to gain licensing rights to produce our favorite kits. This sort of thing can kill a project before it gets past the concept stage.

• 2 years later...

I keep thinking about a '51 Merc. Just seems like a natural. We have two '49 coupes, so either the AMT, or the Revell kit could be converted. So the question is, do you think they will ever do it?

What was the point of dragging this thread forward. Just to bad mouth AMT's '58 Plymouth again? Or tell us how every car from the 1950's, in every body style, needs to be offered in 1/25 scale? I agree with the later statement. But, I'm tired of the former. Give it a rest. We all know AMT's '58 Plymouth had problems. Just don't buy the kit if you don't like it. But to say AMT should not be allowed to release any more kits until they correct that one? Is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. If you really feel that way, don't buy any Round 2 products until they fix it. I bet you'll have a long wait. And not much fun. Round 2 is doing a great job with what they have. Do I want more and better stuff? Of coarse. But, is that going happen, or is it practical? I hope so. But, in the mean time I'll keep buying Round 2s stuff, whether they ever fix the '58 Plymouth or not.

To top it off. I didn't think that '58 Plymouth was as bad as everybody made it out to be.

What was the point of dragging this thread forward. Just to bad mouth AMT's '58 Plymouth again? Or tell us how every car from the 1950's, in every body style, needs to be offered in 1/25 scale? I agree with the later statement. But, I'm tired of the former. Give it a rest. We all know AMT's '58 Plymouth had problems. Just don't buy the kit if you don't like it. But to say AMT should not be allowed to release any more kits until they correct that one? Is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. If you really feel that way, don't buy any Round 2 products until they fix it. I bet you'll have a long wait. And not much fun. Round 2 is doing a great job with what they have. Do I want more and better stuff? Of coarse. But, is that going happen, or is it practical? I hope so. But, in the mean time I'll keep buying Round 2s stuff, whether they ever fix the '58 Plymouth or not.

To top it off. I didn't think that '58 Plymouth was as bad as everybody made it out to be.

Good for you, Uncle Scott!

I don't think I'd responded to this thread since it came back from the dead, but, hey, if it provides another opportunity to bad-mouth AMT's '58 Plymouth, well... why not? Can't be said enough. And, since I've been closely following the 2016 presidential race, I don't think I'm in any danger of saying the most idiotic thing one could ever hear when doubling-down and saying, "AMT shouldn't be permitted to REISSUE anything until they correct the '58 Plymouth kit!"

Meanwhile, I'll have plenty of fun building the old stuff, and the kits that look like what they're supposed to be.