Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revells new 50 custom Olds?

Tom Kren

I absolutely hate - well, dislike strongly - the newer Revell wheels. It's a pain to jam those style wheels into the tires. I like the look of the wheels, but they won't fit other tires without work. Does anybody actually like that system?

The other parts look cool...

I like it because it keeps the sprue attachment point away from the visible rim of the wheel. Many times I've taken a chunk out of a wheel rim or chipped the chrome or sanded a flat spot smoothing out the sprue gate. Works well when using the tires they're designed for.

But yes, they are a pain when it comes to fitting other tires.

And the ones on the Olds are overkill, there's way more flange on them than some of the other wheels that use that system.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Ok picked mine up Sat and heres some pics of the new stuff. On the front end I don't know if this is the same as the old stock one I don't have one by me. rear end looks the same. so im going to do some cutting to get it lower.

DSCN2792-vi.jpg

DSCN2791-vi.jpg

DSCN2793-vi.jpg

Tom...both the front and rear suspensions are lowered....see the pix at my link posted above for more details. Best regards...TIM

The front suspension in the kit is a totally new piece with the axle location in it much higher so it will lower the front, the rear suspension comes with lowering blocks on the rear springs, & different panhard bar so you can locate the rear suspension lower.

Edited by horsepower

Great new parts in this release! A little disappointed that the Fiesta caps are designed with that huge flange, but the level of detail makes them without doubt makes them very desirable. Love that we get plated and non-plated speed parts for the engine, too! It's a good thing for Revell that they didn't release this one first!

The decal taillights are ridiculous.

Okay, so to re-cap what's in the box to make sure I was following right....

1. Pretty-easy-to-get-stock engine with Hydra-Matic.

2. Lowered suspension- are the stock parts still there?

3. Custom interior- same question as above applies.

Charlie Larkin

1 - only hot rod engine parts, but the block has a Hydra-Matic. Kitbash with original kit to get a stock auto.

2.- I think the stock suspension rides a little high, especially with those balloon tires. This version looks like it has a better ride height with the stock tires.

3. No custom interior, it's just plain stock.

Edited by Brett Barrow

1 - only hot rod engine parts, but the block has a Hydra-Matic. Kitbash with original kit to get a stock auto.

That's more-or-less where I was going- easy to make a stock engine, just raid the parts. Somehow, I think the trips are more suited to the stick engine, anyway.

2.- I think the stock suspension rides a little high, especially with those balloon tires. This version looks like it has a better ride height with the stock tires.

Interesting. I'll have to see as I get mine together. Painting the interior and some other parts tomorrow, we'll see as the finish draws nigh.

3. No custom interior, it's just plain stock.

Makes it easier to get one of those nice resin conversions. Definitely good-to-know.

Charlie Larkin

Having bashed the taillight decals, I should in all fairness comment that the pinstripe decals look great. Especially the two-tone jobs!

Danno...completely agree with you on those pinstripe decals. I've been trying to come up with a paint scheme that would let me use those two-tone magenta/white pinstrpie decals (you can only see the magenta in my photo, the white ink is not visible in my photo for some reason). TIM

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, Ed Fluck at Drag City Castings makes a gorgeous tuck and roll setup for the Revell Olds kits. He can be reached at lowcab36@epix.net or 570-289-4345.

Haven't bought anything from Ed for a while- looks like I might have to put in a call to him again. Yep, between that interior and the chopped body from MAD, I have no excuse not to pick up one of these kits. B)