Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 330P4

João Canas

Hi everyone,

This was my second 1/24 vehicle built (the first car I build was an ESCI Ferrari 250GT SWB, around 1990). There are some defects and mistakes, but it was done with the little knowlegde on the subject and lesser experience I had at the time.

It was also the fist time I used an automotive polyurethane clear coat (two parts) that resulted in a slight orange peel effect and crackling at some locations. So I lightly sanded down the body clear coat with a 3M micro-fine sanding pad and polished it with Gunze-Sangyo fine, followed with super fine compounds. I had to be very careful not to cut through the paint around the edges, but patience paid off, I guess.

This kit was the curbside 330P4 option. I did not intend to display the model with the engine lid open, but was disappointed to see that from the underside it could be seen the lack of engine and some suspension parts. To solve this I set about scratchbuilding the missing parts (the engine block and exhaust manifolds and suspension bits), which can be seen in the link below.

Hope you guys like this one too!

WIP: http://arquivomnn.com/viewtopic.php?t=4706

330P4_77_zps0c9e33ad.jpg

330P4_76_zps52da6f06.jpg

330P4_65_zpsa5562497.jpg

330P4_78_zps2dfde02e.jpg

330P4_80_zps1385ea0c.jpg

330P4_83_zpscd9b03e3.jpg

330P4_82_zpse2841ebe.jpg

330P4_73_zps76971edb.jpg

330P4_74_zps7dc7eed1.jpg

330P4_72_zps39bd7474.jpg

Very, very nice......I built one of these (I added an engine) because you are coorect, you can see too much thru the rear opening. I love now nice and clean your build is, it looks ver real in a few of the pictures you took. I think this is the most "sexy" car ever designed. I have two more kits from Fujimi of this car, one will be a roadster version and one will be the coupe, I hope they look as well done as yours. Well done.

Thanks everyone for your kind feedback! I'm very happy this build was appreciated.

It was indeed my second car ever, but I already had a lot of 1/72 and some 1/48 aircraft kits under the belt.

The biggest challenge was to produce a high gloss finish, something that is not usually required in aircraft modeling.

The photo location is indeed the rooftop of the building where I live. Never made a base to display my models, as when I finish one I’m already too eager to start the next one, so I use what’s nearby.

Regards!