Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC/AMT '69 Barracuda?

Jantrix

'64 - '66 is first generation. '67 - '69 second. The second generation Barracudas did not share any outer body panel with the Valiant. But most everything under the skin, including wheelbase is pure Valiant.

Third generation, '70 - '74 Barracudas were the first to really brake away from the Valiants. Moving off the A body platform, to the E body, which it shared with Challenger. Despite the difference in wheelbase.

Scott

Isn't there a company now that is making copies of the recall wheels that now don't crack? So if someone likes the looks of these wheels (which I do), you can now put them on your real car.

Scott

Allegedly , the tooling was shipped to Chrysler de Mexico after the recall , where the tooling was upgraded ( a "D"-shape was employed for the lugs , thereby eliminating the lugnuts' tendency to back-off their studs) and used on some models in Mexico . From what I understand , Stockton Wheel (or some similar wheel bender) bought the tooling from Chrysler de Mexico , and is now producing the B-body version

(the A-body wheels still being hen's teeth) .

Edited by 1972coronet

Allegedly , the tooling was shipped to Chrysler de Mexico after the recall , where the tooling was upgraded ( a "D"-shape was employed for the lugs , thereby eliminating the lugnuts' tendency to back-off their studs) and used on some models in Mexico . From what I understand , Stockton Wheel (or some similar wheel bender) bought the tooling from Chrysler de Mexico , and is now producing the B-body version

I figured somebody out there would know. I thought I saw them in a Mopar magazine a couple of years ago.

Scott

Its my understanding the wheel Stockton produced ( Or was it Wheel Vintiques ? , ) Either way the wheel has been dis-continued and is no longer being produced .

The new version was an all new tool for the centers and attached to an already avail wheel band . The new one used commonly avail acorn lugnuts as opposed to the oddball recall wheel only lugnuts of the originals.

When avail they were first avail in 15x7 with a chome wheel ,, but after a while they came out with a 15x6 in a black wheel and Hoffmans Winners Circle produced the OE style trim ring ,,which is what the originals were .

None are avail today .

the 14" versions are like looking for hens teeth ,,which is small bolt pattern only btw

Edited by gtx6970

I did a build of my `68 Barracuda last winter.

Do a search for threads titled My Metal Mistress

_10152523467824573_572098868_o-vi.jpg

I know…. it looks "blue" in photos

06158901_1132089484039181706_n-vi.jpg

The actual color, which is a %$#@# to photograph correctly.

BTW: Take the body, trim, and most of the interior and throw away the rest….. use a Revell Dart (after shortening the chassis) and you'll have a really nice basis for an nice Barracuda. The AMT Duster has a nice small block, or you can go the Ross Gibson route like I did. Harts Parts makes those hood scoops, but the slightly longer B body version. Keith Marks sell beautiful Barracuda decals for all the trim and emblems. You can find him through his FOTKI album

under his name.

Good luck with your project and please post pictures. I kinda like those old Mopars….. ;)

Edited by FASTBACK340

• 1 year later...

Curious to see what's new and back in the box. Here is the description from the site, but I wanna see pics.

MPC’s 1969 Barracuda kit receives a long overdue retro packaging facelift with a combination of vintage and new illustrations! They convey some restored parts once again included in the kit along with an added bonus set of vintage mags.

1/25 scale, skill 2
    Molded in white
    383 cu. in. motor
    Many optional custom and racing parts – seats, front grilles and more
    Bonus set of vintage-style custom mags
    Large full color decal sheet
    Vintage Retro Deluxe™ packaging

Since A M T's kits are pushing the 30.00 dolla mark with taxes , I'm REAL careful as to where I'm spending . I'm semi retired now and I have a Special needs son . Raising a child on a single "Fixed Income " means I have to prioritize my spending . You young folks who have disposable incomes will see what I'm dealing with soon enough

Mine arrived today. It's another one of the minimal detail kits, which I'm not thrilled with, but I've already ranted about that somewhere else, and if I want to build certain kits, it looks like that's just something I have to live with. Some of these aren't the best quality...I'm sitting around in my underroos getting ready to hit the sack and didn't take the time to bother with "good" photos...let me know if you want more detailed photos of something specific. Without further adieu...

WP_20160224_21_01_34_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160224_21_01_43_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160224_21_02_01_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160224_21_01_51_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20160224_21_01_39_Pro_LI.jpg

Colby, thanks so much for these pics.....I was hoping to review the kit tomorrow , as my LHS apparently is getting some in......looks ok, decals are nice...just too bad the hemi heads are not there, like the first several issues, as I see the chrome hemi rocker covers are included....oh well, i'll be buying one regardless, and thanks again,,,,the Ace....:P

The kit looks good to me Mr. Buick. Exactly what expected. As side, tell me why you picked an Apollo GSX for your icon pic? Being a long time Buick club member, and a former Apollo owner, I'm very curious.

I'm a huge fan of old Buicks...I like the Apollo because it's basically a lesser-known Nova, and the GSX is just an awesome and rare car. The thumbnail photo isn't mine, it's just an Apollo that I'm inspired by. I've got two '73's in the garage (one donor) that I picked up at a salvage yard...I'm in the middle of bringing one to life.

I'm a huge fan of old Buicks...I like the Apollo because it's basically a lesser-known Nova, and the GSX is just an awesome and rare car. The thumbnail photo isn't mine, it's just an Apollo that I'm inspired by. I've got two '73's in the garage (one donor) that I picked up at a salvage yard...I'm in the middle of bringing one to life.

I to am A big Fan Of this one. I'd love to have a kit of the Apollo or how about the omega. I just love them all. Good stuff MrBuick Good stuff. 

Thanks.   Jeff 

Thanks for posting, Colby. I too find it a little odd they didn't include the Hemi heads, but I still wouldn't consider it a poor quality kit. I don't see any flawed workmanship, and it looks exactly like a 1969 Barracuda. Yes it has the promo based chassis per 1960s tech, but combined with the AMT 71 Duster, you could have a very accurate 1969 Barracuda. One of the things I like about these older designs is that it is very easy to change the stance, without a bunch or re-engineering. Plus they go together quickly and look good on the shelf. BTW, anybody know if the "Bacaruda" decal is a carryover from the original issue decal sheet? Hopefully an intentional miss-spelling.... If the lobby of the hobby gets any in, I'll burn a 40 percent coupon on one.