Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC/AMT '69 Barracuda?

Jantrix

Although it's among my favorite muscle cars I've never gotten my hands on a kit of the MPC/AMT '69 Barracuda. Before I go out and buy one, can anyone tell me about this kit?

How detailed? Chassis/suspension one piece? What engine? Engine decent or got a big axle hole through it? Any major fitment issues?

And, assuming the chassis/engine/suspension are not good would the Revell '69 Dart be a good donor for any of it?

Sorry to ask so much, but I know someone has already been though this, and has the know how.

The kit is a repop of the MPC kit, which was originally produced circa 1967-69 as an annual series kit. So yes, it does have a one-piece chassis pan, which was very typical of model car kits of that era, but it really is far from what I would call "crude". Just that it was made for hands far younger than the age range of model car builders of today.

Art

It's fraught with inaccuracies (redundant back-up lamps , chiefly among them) .

It's representative of a 383 Formula-S with 4 speed and 8.75" rear . Its best feature is its rare (in "1:1") Kelsey-Hayes wheels (colloq. , "Recall Wheels") .

It looks presentable with some work . I wouldn't fret it too much :)

The '68-'69 Dart has a 3" longer wheelbase than the '68-'69 Barracuda, but that should be an easy fix. I'm planning on building a '69 'Cuda 340 using the chassis from Revell's Dart and the 340/trans from AMT's Duster. The Barracuda's body looks okay to me & the interior shouldn't be that difficult to improve on. . .

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, the chassis leaves a little to be desired if your after a true replica ,,but it builds up nice and I think its flat hood or hemi scoop only ( Its been some time since I've looked at the kit though,,,, )

you can modify the Revell Dart chassis to fit with some work

I have one in the works ,,,,but its been like this for nearly 10 years

post-9887-0-93046100-1423322613_thumb.jp

AFAIK, it's the only game in town when it comes to the fastback 1st generation Barracudas, and as has been said, the chassis's nothing to write home about & there are better engines. If memory serves, in the last five years or so one of our members did a build that incorporated several "fixes" to various aspects of this kit, such as correcting a number of things in the grille. For some reason I can't seem to find the thread, but if one of the mods could help you chase it down, you'd have a much better idea of how it goes together and what could be improved.

Its best feature is its wheels : the notorious "Recall" wheels (14x6" with small lugs for the A-Body line ; 15x7" for the B-Body line).

attachicon.gifW23_wheels.jpg

attachicon.gifRecallWheelDocumentSmall.JPG

Isn't there a company now that is making copies of the recall wheels that now don't crack? So if someone likes the looks of these wheels (which I do), you can now put them on your real car.

Scott

Is that 1st gen or 2nd gen ? I was under they impression that 64-66 was first generation.

Me too, but maybe they're the same underneath, I dunno. I've always thought of the '64.5-'66 as 1st Gen and '67-'69 as 2nd Gen but maybe we're wrong.

The 64 and 65 are basically a Valiant with a "Sport Roof" . The 66 was still built on the Valiant platform but had a specific stylized logo. 67 went with a longer wheelbase and different body style used only for the Barracuda. Not sure how much of the underneath was changed in 67.

I call the 64-66 the Red Headed step-child of the Barracuda family

Mvc002s-vi.jpg

and here's mine! The 64-66 Barracudas were all the same A body car. The 64-65 looked alike and the 66 had new squarer sheet metal and the new fish logo. The doors, trunk lid and glass would be common to all 3 years. The differences you could see to identify a 64 from a 65... the 64 had "Valiant" on the back panel below the trunk lid on the right side. Some folks had taken this off during restoration. The 64 automatics had push buttons on the dash. Due to the change in laws, the 65 had the standard PRNDL1 pattern shifter. The 64 heater controls were pull knobs. The 65 heater controls were slides.

Edited by Tom Geiger