Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Strippers - What to Use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mr. Muscle oven cleaner does not work for all paint. I used brake fluid DOT4, all brake fluid should work (3, 4 and 5.1) except for DOT5.

This is the result using Mr. Muscle oven cleaner

foto1.jpg

This the result of 24 hours DOT4
foto3.jpg

On the dutch forum a lot off guys are using brake fluid.

I myself find a sealable plastic container and let the model soak overnight in purplepower

and then scrub it with a toothbrush and resoak if needed then wash it good with dish soap and rinse and let air dry

I agree with Ted. I always use this method. I find the soaking time varies with the paint used.

As far as putty goes, I use Bondo and Purple Power never bothers it. I guess you'll have to

try it to find out.

i use LA Awesome in a seal container real cheep too. With temp and kind of paint it may take a few days too weeks. I use the bondo silver putty seems to with stand the cleaner better that the red body filler.

The sealed container is the best way to go, as the guys have said, but I'd have to say brake fluid would be faster....Purple Power usually takes a week to penetrate, fully, where as brake fluid might take a day and a half.....It's a little more expensive, but if you don't have a lot of patience like me, then you need something else.....

I've never used purplepower myself, but a friend of mine does for his paint stripper, and he has found that some older, harder paints it doesn't cut through very well. The newer paints it breezes through, but he's has some troubles with older builds. As for it attacking putty, I think he has had that happen too, especially with the model types. If I remember correctly, it also will debond most glues, and he found the hard way NOT to use it with resin, he lost a resin body when he tried to strip it and came back to find a puddle in his purple pond.

I've used "Lake Brake" for years, my funny little name for my clear storage box filled with brake fluid. Sure, it doesn't work as fast as the purple stuff, but since I seem to have a bad habit of builds going to the back burner, it works for me. I've had a Western Star a friend started in the late 90s that he lost interest in and gave back to me in "Lake Brake" literally for years (about 6 or 7) with no ill effects. The paint has been off of it for years too! :lol:

+10 on 'Lake Brake'...won't hurt/effect the plastic...a long soak WILL remove bondo, and as long as the filler is on bare plastic, a short soak[overnite] USUALLY won't effect the filler...

brake fluid here all the way...

oh, and it even removes Tamiya sprays...

I've used Easy Off oven cleaner in the past. I sprayed the cab and put it in a sealable bag for a few hours. Every couple hours I gave it a scrub with a brush and sprayed some more on. The paint was completely gone by the end of the day.