Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 '53 Chevy Panel Revell

atenzapower

Does this kit share some parts with Revell's '53/'54 Chevy? A friend of mine had this Hot Rod Series Chevy years ago and he was building it as a Gasser with a 409 and Blower. If I remember correct, that engine was from Revell's kit but of course I can remember wrong as well...

chevy_54_revell_HOTROD_zps3d24426b.jpg

I have a few questions about this new reissue.

1). Are the front doors and rear delivery doors all molded closed on the body, and the builder expected to scribe/cut through the door seams to open-up all of those doors?

2). Is the dropped, leaf-spring front axle included inside this kit? (it seems to me that these "gasser" front suspension pieces were not included inside this kit when it was reissued about 5 years ago as more of a "street-machine" kit).

3). Are the bumpers, grill and tail-lights all still molded in Chrome?

Thanks!

AMT '50 Chevy pickup would probably work, too.

Only for the engine and transmission. I don't know about the current issue, but all the past versions of this kit I've ever had did include the stock front suspension, and the rear axle can be easily made to pass for the correct torque tube axle. The frame is pretty much stock as well.

Only for the engine and transmission. I don't know about the current issue, but all the past versions of this kit I've ever had did include the stock front suspension, and the rear axle can be easily made to pass for the correct torque tube axle. The frame is pretty much stock as well.

I don't think the truck would be the right choice for frame or suspension..this is a car-based sedan delivery, so the '51 Chevy car kits are the right choice.

Edited by Rob Hall

Other than the body's the 53/54 sedan delivery and the 2 dr. sedan,( which I think depicts a Chevy 210-not a Bel Air) are the same kits.

Over the years I've tried converting them a few times to stock form.

003-36.jpg

The first sedan delivery I tried and gave up on.

Then I got one of these Model King re-issued 2 dr. sedans

002-53.jpg

Kit bashed it with an AMT '51 Chevy and for the most part it fit very well, the tail lights are not correct for the '53 or '54 (but closer to the '54)

016-4.jpg

018-6.jpg

Although I used a Ken Kitchen Buick Straight 8 instead of the '51 Chevy Straight 6

014-9.jpg

I also have a re-issue sedan delivery and another AMT '51 Chevy donor to build the same way now that I've learned how the 2 dr. sedan went together.

Other than the body's the 53/54 sedan delivery and the 2 dr. sedan,( which I think depicts a Chevy 210-not a Bel Air) are the same kits.

Over the years I've tried converting them a few times to stock form.

003-36.jpg

The first sedan delivery I tried and gave up on.

Then I got one of these Model King re-issued 2 dr. sedans

002-53.jpg

Kit bashed it with an AMT '51 Chevy and for the most part it fit very well, the tail lights are not correct for the '53 or '54 (but closer to the '54)

016-4.jpg

018-6.jpg

Although I used a Ken Kitchen Buick Straight 8 instead of the '51 Chevy Straight 6

014-9.jpg

I also have a re-issue sedan delivery and another AMT '51 Chevy donor to build the same way now that I've learned how the 2 dr. sedan went together.

Chris...that is a way sharp conversion to replica stock....way to go! TIM

Couldnt one use the Revell 53 Chevy Bel Air for stock chassis and drivetrain? Stunning build Chris!

The "Revell" (ex-Monogram) Bel Air hardtop is 1/24 scale, so few (if any) parts will fit the 1/25 scale Revell sedan or delivery kits. Best bet is to use the engine/transmission/rear axle from one of the AMT '51 Chevy kits. The Revell '53/'54 frame and front suspension are actually fairly accurate, the inner front fenders are another story though.

I'm still wondering if anybody can answer these simple questions:

1). Are the front doors and rear delivery doors all molded closed on the body, and the builder expected to scribe/cut through the door seams to open-up all of those doors?

2). Is the dropped, leaf-spring front axle included inside this kit? (it seems to me that these "gasser" front suspension pieces were not included inside this kit when it was reissued about 5 years ago as more of a "street-machine" kit).

Thanks!

I'm still wondering if anybody can answer these simple questions:

Thanks!

Doors are molded shut.

Just the straight axle and stock IFS.

The chrome is still chrome.

The headlights on those 53/54 chevies have clear headlight lenses, but no buckets. They all come with inner door panels and hinges and retainers. A modeler is expected to scribe the doors open. Back in the day I believe some of the kits came with the doors as separate items. I believe I had a couple of the cars and one had the doors molded shut, and the other had them opened. Also the tail lights in these things also have no bezels or real detail.