Model Cars Magazine Forum

Last Builds of 2013

dougp

I haven't posted here in a while due to medical issues, so here are my last two builds of the year. Both were completed for our clubs last two quarterly theme builds, 63-67 road racers and straight liners.

The road racer was based of pictures of SCCA and Trans Am 69/70 Mustangs, Phildaupho's wip (http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42593&hl=%2Btrans+%2Bam+%2Bmustang) and Revells 70 Boss 302 kit. I used the kit engine and scratch built the oil breather pipe, air cleaner, remote oil filter, radiator and modified the intake manifold and coolant lines. The firewall detail was removed and engine compartment washed for the just raced look. The interior was gutted, console removed and the trans tunnel rebuilt with sheet styrene. The lower portion of the dash removed (based on 1:1 pics), scratch built the instrument panel using pe gauges. An aftermarket roll bar was tweaked to fit with a parts box seat and safety harness. The body was cleaned up, wipers removed and the fuel filler moved up to the edge of the trunk lid. The undercarriage was also reworked, washed, scratched built exhaust and ebay supplied resin wheels.

DSCN2189_zpsbe6763e4.jpg

DSCN2193_zpsa3ae64d5.jpg

DSCN2192_zps2cb86666.jpg

DSCN2196_zps0ae7f8bd.jpg

The straight liner theme build was based of pictures of 1:1s and Revells Sox & Martin kit. We have a commercial build coming up in the new year and my wife and I were going to build commercial wreckers, her the Revell GMC wrecker and I the Kenworth. Our idea was to build them as a family run tow company. So we decided carry the tow company theme to our drag cars as the team owners. She built hers basically box stock and I modified mine for "more power".

Our race team:

DSCN2257_zpsa1881846.jpg

Hers:

DSCN2247_zpsfbede548.jpg

DSCN2251_zpsb7037079.jpg

DSCN2254_zps4ada97d9.jpg

Mine:

DSCN2235_zps558cbd92.jpg

DSCN2240_zps4a589cd1.jpg

DSCN2244_zps24fa3306.jpg

Thanks for looking...