Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meng 1/24th Ford F-350

We're now taking pre-orders - US MSRP is $74.95, we're 10% off that at $67.46.

Wow. Very pricey for what it is. It will be interesting to see how many they sell at that price. I wonder how many they would have sold if an American manufacturer had come out with the same kit at that price? Going by a lot of comments I've seen about how $25 kits are too expensive, It'll be interesting to see how a kit that sells for three times that price will do.

Whoa! That's way more than a Moebius Prostar and Lonestar and they have twice as many parts!

That's almost has much as an Italeri big rig kit and they have more parts.

LoneStar and ProStar MSRP is $79.95. Of course "street" price is lower, and I'm sure other places will be selling the F-350 for cheaper, we've never made the claim we're the cheapest...

Who said there was? Some more expensive kits have fewer parts than other kits of the same scale that are cheaper. Some more expensive kits have more parts. There is a lot of variation, esp. when comparing domestic vs import brand kits. It's a fallacy to assume a higher price means more parts..there are more contributing factors to price than simply parts count.

Really? So the statements that are so readily posted that some won't purchase kits because they are too expensive has nothing to do with price. They will spend whatever on a subject or genre that they want and if they don't like or prefer a subject or genre, then they will find an excuse why they won't purchase the kit.

LoneStar and ProStar MSRP is $79.95. Of course "street" price is lower, and I'm sure other places will be selling the F-350 for cheaper, we've never made the claim we're the cheapest...

But he Moebius kits are twice the Meng kit. I heard a lot of complaining about the cost of Italeri big rig kits. They are bargains compared to the Meng kit.

Really? So the statements that are so readily posted that some won't purchase kits because they are too expensive has nothing to do with price. They will spend whatever on a subject or genre that they want and if they don't like or prefer a subject or genre, then they will find an excuse why they won't purchase the kit.

I think Rob was making the point that price and parts count do not always have a parallel relationship, Chuck. Some "expensive kits have a lower parts count than a "cheaper" kit with more parts, and when we throw quality into the equation, it's gets complicated.

I do agree this kit will be a good test to see who is willing to pay whatever this kit costs, and who isn't. We all have our reasons for deciding what and what not to buy, but Meng is a newish player in the 1/24 civilian car/truck market, so from that perspective alone, this kit's fortunes are well worth following.

But he Moebius kits are twice the Meng kit. I heard a lot of complaining about the cost of Italeri big rig kits. They are bargains compared to the Meng kit.

At least this will have the correct chassis. :D I'd gladly pay more for a kit that actually represents its subject matter than one produced by a company that apparently thinks North American truck modelers are gullible oafs.

??

I'm talking about price and # of parts..there is no correlation between price and parts count (and likewise no correlation w/ quality).

Edited by Rob Hall

Moebius doesn't make modern pickup truck kits, so there is no point for comparison.

Edited by Rob Hall

At least this will have the correct chassis. :D I'd gladly pay more for a kit that actually represents its subject matter than one produced by a company that apparently thinks North American truck modelers are gullible oafs.

I rest my case!

Wow. Very pricey for what it is. It will be interesting to see how many they sell at that price. I wonder how many they would have sold if an American manufacturer had come out with the same kit at that price? Going by a lot of comments I've seen about how $25 kits are too expensive, It'll be interesting to see how a kit that sells for three times that price will do.

I agree 100%. That is very expensive Model Kit, and I have to say that I'm not going to spend my money on this one, it's just too expensive. If it was $30 or $35, I would get one for sure, but that $74 price tag is way too much for me. I can get a couple of new Revells or Moebius kits with that price, and they are more interesting, too IMO.

But I hope these will sell, because I want to see these being built.

I (and others) said to expect the price to be around $70. Their military kits are expensive, too, but I have yet to hear anyone say they aren't worth it. Maybe it's expensive compared to Moebius' Pro/LoneStar, but it's still less than a new Tamiya full-detail car kit...

Whoa! That's way more than a Moebius Prostar and Lonestar and they have twice as many parts!

That's almost has much as an Italeri big rig kit and they have more parts.

Those are big rig kits, though. Different genre than a pickup kit..and there is no correlation between price and parts count.

Rob, Chucky just will never get it! I'm sure somewhere earlier in this thread I specifically told him that comparing this kit to a big rig kit was like comparing apples and oranges, and is obvious that hasn't had time to sink in! :rolleyes:

Honestly, I see the price issue (which really isn't an issue with me) like this, I would rather spend a premium price for what clearly appears to me as a premium kit than spend $20 or $30 dollars on a mediocre kit and then spend another $50 on resin to make the vehicle I want when I can spend the $70+ dollars on the kit of I want in the first place. I'm not trying to sound as I'm bashing resin casters either, because I buy more than my fair share of resin (mostly big rig stuff, which also can go into the $80 price range just for a cab transkit not counting the donor kit at another $70-$80), but if the subject is available in plastic, I'd get it first.

Look on ebay and see what some of the Model King '79 F350 4X4's, '79 Broncos and '71 Blazers bring on a regular basis. Also check out what the old AMT '59-'63 Ford pickups bring. Junky buildups of those regularly bring $80-$100 plus. All of a sudden, the Meng kit looks like a steal. Just like any other kit, buy it you want it and can afford it. Don't if you don't and can't. The rest of us will more than take up your slack.

P.S. Why in the world is this kit being compared to a semi rig?? :rolleyes: It makes zero sense. :wacko:

I am still going to buy as many as I can, but I wont be buying from US retailers, no way, I can pre order from a Hobby Store in China for $42 a piece, I feel sorry for people that are going to pay the crazy imported marked up price

Good deal..I'm assuming HLJ and Hobby Search will get them eventually...

Good deal..I'm assuming HLJ and Hobby Search will get them eventually...

I know HLJ will, as they are listed as one the distributors for Meng, so its just a matter of time , and that is what I am waiting on to see what they are going to be selling it for

The price may not dissuade modelers who are interested in the subject from buying them, but it will be a factor in how many they buy.

Under fifty - I'll buy two. Over fifty - one.

-MJS

Bingo. Honestly, the price doesn't bother me all that much. This just won't be one of those "buy five at a time" kits for me, personally. It sure beats paying on a 1:1 example if you're looking at it purely from an economics standpoint...

The price is only the first half of the battle. Wait until someone actually gets the kit, then the real nagging can begin. Yes, Italeri truck kits are not 100% true to the prototype. But this kit is already being hailed as the greatest thing ever and its not even here yet. So all us gullible oafs will be quietly waiting until you get your hands on one of these. Then you 'real modelers' can gripe how the trim is .0000000001 too tall, the fenders are too 'sweepy' and there is no scale usb port on the stereo.